PDA

View Full Version : Pro Design Cool Head

blackraptor01
03-03-2003, 01:22 AM
I see that Pro Design makes a cool head with head stay and without head stay for the 250r. The 250r I purchased has the one without. Would this hurt anything? Why do they make one without head stay, wouldn't the motor vibrate more? I have a 310 motor, If I pick up a stock cap will it work on the 310? Confused right now!!

Thanks for any input

airheadedduner
03-03-2003, 02:06 AM
I don't know why they did that. Whoever decided to make a head with no head stay should have there *** beat on the general principle. On the R the motor is a critical part in keeping the frame from twisting and cracking.

THe stock head will not bolt on and work. It would need to be rechambered to fit and I still don't think that would work. On my 295 after being rechambered it there was not much room. I don't thing there is suficent space to rechamber it for a 310 without it blowing head gaskets like there is no tommorow. Check ebay for another cool head.

honda350r
03-03-2003, 02:14 AM
As long as the bracket is there across the frame rails , I would not worry about it !! It is not that big af a deal! No reason to hurt anyone over it !! You will have no problems!!

Jim

airheadedduner
03-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Just my opinion bro.

I have seen to many R frames cracked cause of no head stay.

nuttynewt
03-03-2003, 12:13 PM
You're better off to run the head stay...

Why do you think Honda took the effort to put it there to start with? It sure wasn't to add the extra weight of a bracket, 5 bolts, and a nut...

I agree with airheadduner, the motor is a major structural component in the R, and it does help support and tie the frame together. No head stay = much more flex in your frame.

I have a cool head with the head stay, and the only bummer is you still must use a head gasket with it, they don't make it in the o-ring style. That is not really a big deal, though, since the o-rings aren't much cheaper than a head gasket anyways.

roostu
03-03-2003, 12:54 PM
First off if you have a 310 then call LRD and get a cool head that is designed for big bore kits. Also sometimes people get cool heads with out head stays because they have had engine work done that changes the height of the jug and causes the head stay to not fit. I beleive that the head stay is important and i would never order one without it.

~Roost-U

CHAR250R
03-03-2003, 03:28 PM
This quote is directly from Duncan Racing: "Duncan Racing recommends model without headstay because it reduces stress on cylinder and frame while allowing engine to rev a little freer". I was wondering which one to purchase myself.

honda350r
03-03-2003, 05:32 PM
You guys think too much !! I do run the head stay on my current 89 pv 370, but I have run without one many times with no problem! I have also heard about the less stress thing ...

If my new quad had no head stay on the cool head ,I would no way spend money to put one back.....

Jim

CHAR250R
03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
You can't just put the head stay back on. I'm not sure if you know that the stay is part of the head. I think you do. The cool head is one piece. (except for the domes) The head either has a head stay or it doesn't. You're right, I do think too much. I like the idea of having the head stay on there.

tants
03-03-2003, 09:28 PM
ive herd many people cracking frame without running headstays. i always ran mine on my R.....

blackraptor01
03-04-2003, 12:09 AM
I just hate to put out $250 for a cool head with head stay when there is one without on it. Not definite answer here.....

Thanks for the replies

nuttynewt
03-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by blackraptor01
I just hate to put out $250 for a cool head with head stay when there is one without on it. Not definite answer here.....

Thanks for the replies

If you want one with a headstay, put the one you got on ebay and sell it, then you won't have all that much in the one you're comfortable with. People pay crazy amounts of cash for used 250R parts on there...

Bean
03-04-2003, 10:05 PM
just put your stock headstay back on, and dont bolt it up, thats what i do, i have heard both it helps and it hurts, but i was told to run it that way, and i listened

blackraptor01
03-05-2003, 12:17 AM
I don't have the stock head stay and It is a 310 now and someone said a stock cap won't fit anymore, who knows - the prior owner didn't run one and he raced it MX - but he did break the frame 4 or 5 times!!