PDA

View Full Version : Polini 90 ?

chunky0071
02-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Ok so why do you not see any of the Polini 90 Motors. Cost, low power whats the deal with them?

mmsoup
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
The kit is either an 84cc or 94cc depending on crank. I doubt the 2 cc's would matter but that is prolly the main reason. G-Force was trying to sell a destroked kit to hit right at 90cc's but I haven't seen one yet

A better question would be why nobody has a TCR 88cc kit. That motor is a 2Fast killer

chunky0071
02-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Have not heard of the TRC kit I am looking at the polini because it is the only one at the stock bore and stroke with a destroked crank and maybe the torque #'s would be up for XC.

#404's Dad
02-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Not a whole lot of people have heard of the TCR stuff is my guess why you don't see or hear of more of them, I know Havert had one a few years ago and it was a beast then but I don't think the 2 fast was out like it is now.

We ran a TCR 70 last year for a while, haven't seen another one, ran well but $$ was higher than what it was worth imho.

mmsoup
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
The TCR is very expensive and an 88cc motor now by virtue of 50mm piston X 45mm crank. Back in the day it was an 80cc vs the 2Fast when it was an 80cc.

TCR is a tuning house in Italy that makes the cylinders from billet stock on a CNC.

They actually set up a few Apex's in Europe and build their own pipes as well.

I priced a set of European cases port matched to their cylinder and a pipe and the total was $2500 plus shipping. I believe I had a spare piston or two in that figure but still considerably higher than where we ended up. I didn't have the extra cash to throw at it but man what a motor......

I can't help but think the Polini would be a high revver. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the longer stroke aid torque?

For cost savings, why not get a Malossi cylinder kit, buy a Stage 6 Crank with the 90mm conrod and a Mach 1 Pipe. We pulled many holeshots with that combo

chunky0071
02-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Torque ! Thats what I was thinking we race XC and torque is a big thing in the woods RPM's are not. Just looking at some thing a little different for when we build.

Thought some of the builders on here would have replied but I guess they don't know much about the set up so we will see.

hotquads1
02-25-2012, 08:12 AM
We have sold a few of the 94cc evo-4's and they are very powerful, we set them up about 1000rpm less than a 2fast and they have very good torque but I don't know what you would condsider low rpm , its best power is 10k-13k rpm. With an overdrive I think an experienced driver could do well with it in XC, but if you want 7k-11k rpm motor this would not be the right choice . Cost is reasonable, maybe the best bang for the buck on the market if you can run 94cc in your series. Hope this helps.
Marc

chunky0071
02-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey Marc whats a better choice for lower RPMS ? Just putting some things out there to see where I need to be. I was looking at destroking the polini kit to say at 90cc.
Or just porting our stock motor and a good Mach 1 pipe to go with it. I just need to keep the air box and your pipe foots the bill there!!! I have seen the MHR and 2 fast have trouble in the woods with not being able to hook up well. Keep in mind this is some thing I will be doing for next years series. Just trying to get ahead of the game.

hotquads1
02-25-2012, 10:09 AM
the woods are better suited to the power delivery of a 4-stroke, the downside to a 2 stroke making good power is going to be an AGRESSIVE POWER-BAND THAT HITS fairly hard, it can be tamed down and operated at lower rpm with decent torque such as a stock apex or DRR but it will be at the loss of that extreme power we enjoy on the top end . Porting the stock cylinder will not help on the lower rpm only improves top rpm and the Mach-1 pipe makes alot of torque but it is still fairly high in rpm range so it must be clutched accordingly and it will not come on the power until over 8000 rpm .