PDA

View Full Version : Ugh Chain Problem Now!

CJM
02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
So in my rebuild I replaced the chain roller and chain slider with poly ones. Now whatever I do it doesnt seem tight enough unless I really make it too tight. It wants to slap the skid slightly and slap the underside of the chain slider. I dont have the upper chain guide on the swinger-never had one.

I tightened it to have MAYBE an 3/4 inch of play now and it doesnt slap but imho its WAY too tight. Anything more than about 3/4 of inch seems like its too loose and slapping the everything.

Im stumped..it didnt do this before I replaced everything..

New chain? one on there isnt all that old, doesnt kink when you take it off either.

honda400guy
02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
sounds like your bolts are striped out and cant hold the axel tight enough

CJM
02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Thats def not the case, I tightened them down and they stayed tight, believe me I adjusted the chain like 5x today.

Scro
02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I've always ran 1/2" of play with no problems.

CJM
02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I've always ran 1/2" of play with no problems.

I hear ya Dustin.

I think what might be causing it is the chain roller isnt worn in and neither is the slider. Before both were stock and somehow still about 30-40% left. Now it they arent broken in and slapping I guess.

Im gonna run 1/2 of play and leave it alone. I just hope it isnt to tight and the chain slaps.

Another thought was I thoroughly cleaned the chain and did an old trick we used to do on new chains. You take some oil and heat it up to a boil then throw the chain in for like 2 mins and take it out. infuses the oil in the o-rings and they dont dry out as much overtime. Still, this has nothing to do with it slapping I think.

quadmanw
02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
You don't have a chain slider on the swinger? Even though it worked before, that may be your problem..

CJM
02-22-2012, 08:16 PM
No I do have one on the swinger.

Skid has a chain guard too.

quadmanw
02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh sorry I misread that. I've never had a problem like this.. Couldn't tell ya anything

CJM
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Wonder if its possible I got the chain slider on swingarm itself wrong or the things to thick.. Hmm Ill have to compare to the old one.

quadmanw
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
You may need to flip it around. Or it could be thicker

Stickman400
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
What brand are they? I bought a brand new T.M. Designworks chain slider and roller and the directions I got with it said you should run it slightly tighter than normal at first to wear the slider and roller in, then check it after a few hours of riding and adjust it back to the stock 1 1/4" of slack.

CJM
02-22-2012, 11:29 PM
^ Hmm thats a good idea stickman.

Its a moose brand chain slider and whatever brand (i forget) roller.

Maybe Ill run it tighter, let it break in and see what happens. Clearly right now its slapping.

What I did do was flip the slider around so the thicker part was on top. I feel it probably goes on the way I did have it (thicker part on bottom) as it has kinda a channeled are for the bolts and such to go thru it.

BUT after doing all of that it doesnt nearly slap as much and such it doesnt seem like its going to slap it and I have an inch of play now.

Its soo much fun friggin with stupid stuff, aint it? :blah:

btw, this is the part im talking about. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/orprod/400/t/tmd_07_cha_sli_yel.jpg

Stickman400
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
If it's that big chunk of poly that T.M. Designworks uses it's gunna slap the whole time, even after it's worn in. Mine still slaps really loud, and its got really good grooves cut in it. The stock one was rubber, that's why you didn't hear it slap.

CJM
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Yea I have a feeling its gonna slap... its a moose brand one but super similar. I made the chain tighter, it has an inch of play and seems like no slap right now but we shall see.

argh. I think i shoulda just bought oem.

JOHNDOE83
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
My chain slider had gotten pretty worn out, I found a used "stock" one that was almost new on ebay so I bought it.

When it came in and I took off my old one, I started thinking "what if I made it smooth again?" so I took the grinder and made my old one smooth and put it back on, it actually works GREAT...lol.

So now I have a almost new one to put on when my re-furbished slider wears out again, I was actually surprised that it still works fine after re-smoothing it.

CJM
02-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Interesting idea john. shame I cant figure out wtf I did with my old one.

I took it for a ride,c hains tighter than Id liek with about an inch of play, but it doesnt slap. Ill be seeing if I canget a stock slider sooner or later,

Stickman400
02-23-2012, 10:35 PM
My slider was worn down so bad that it worn all the way through the slider and started into the swinger, lol.:blah:

CJM
02-23-2012, 10:43 PM
lol I found the stocker today, its worn way to much to grind away.

Im just gonna buy a new one, shame cause the 40 dollar moose one seemed nice.. damn it.

Stickman400
02-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm just gunna keep it on there and see how it goes. It gets annoying, but it'll wear so much better than rubber it's ridiculous.

quadmanw
02-24-2012, 06:05 AM
What did ya grind the stock one with?'