PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game

rhinomxer
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Just picked up a stock 05 450r after being out of the game for years. Feeling rusty and never had an r before.

Question is, what should I look for? It's been ridden but is in reasonable shape and I only paid 1700 for it. I will check oiul and coolant, any other typical R things i should look for?

Also, can I put an aftermarket slip-on on it with a new stock air filter (w/ lid) and keep jetting stock? Just wondering if a slip on will affect jetting in a bad way.

Thanks for any advice! Good to have a wheeler again....

fastredrider44
02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
It really just depends on each bike. I've seen some have to re-jet for a slip-on, and others put a slip-on and it not really have an effect. The biggest single thing to look for on an 05 are the crank bearings. Check the oil filter for shavings every oil change and keep the oil changed very often. Also, a clean air-filter will go a long way towards preserving the valves. They're good bikes if you take care of them. Keep an eye out for cracks in the frame to form, especially around the footpegs.

Good luck!

rhinomxer
02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I noticed it does have some valve noise. I didn't know about the crank bearings. I plan on getting Klotz oil for it and a new filter before i ride. I also just posted ads in the wanted section for a service manual and also a new air filter. The filter is pretty dirty i see. I assume the manual will tell me how to change the oil filter and how much oil i need. I will also likely change the coolant with whatever the manual recommends.

Thanks a lot!

fastredrider44
02-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes, the manual will tell you everything you need to know about changing the motor and the clutch oils. You can probably clean your current air filter and re-oil it if it hasn't started breaking down yet.

rhinomxer
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Good point. Thanks.

Any suggestions on what oils? Previous ownertold me he ran Klotz but I assume he means engine oil I dont know anything about clutch oils.

trx400Rider
02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I would run motoul. They offer engine and tranny oil. Change the engine oil and filter every 5 hours, and tranny every 10.
Best way to do it is buy a stainless steel oil filter. Saves you more money in the long run.
I would flush the coolant and replace it with new. Its an 04 so its 8 years old.
Just go ahead and get you a uni or some other type of aftermarket dual stage air filter. keep it clean. uni is good and cheap.
check and see if your valves need some adjustment. they'll make some noise when there out just a hair.
Check the timing chain.
replace the spark plug and pack the rear bearings full of grease.
Break pads? check them. rotors are expensive.
Compression check it. If i remember right, it should be around 100 or 110. somewhere close atleast.

fastredrider44
02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Uni filters are good. That's all I run. I also run Hi-flo filters and Rotella T, in both sides.

rhinomxer
02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Good to know.

So it is safe to run the same oil on both sides I am understanding?

fastredrider44
02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
No, not really. Oil that has Moly in it is a big no-no for the clutch side.

rhinomxer
02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Annnnnd this is why I ask the stupid questions haha, Thanks!

Anyone have anything else? Once I get a manual i'll be better off I have a post in the wanted section looking for a used manual if anyone has one.

trx400Rider
02-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
No, not really. Oil that has Moly in it is a big no-no for the clutch side.
Does the motoul tranny oil have moly in it?
Guess ill have to venture to the garage and read the ingredients on it lol

DnB_racing
02-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by trx400Rider
Does the motoul tranny oil have moly in it?
Guess ill have to venture to the garage and read the ingredients on it lol im not sure the price and moly content on the Motoul...

but shell Rotella T is 13.00 a gallon at walmart and can be used in both sides
and is one of the best oils to use on a wet clutch, I use in both sides and have for years,

on your 05 you can get almost 3 full oil changes (clutch side and crank) from a gallon of oil

I personally dont like the metal oil filters ..I like to cut my filters open every change to look for tiny bits of metal, and I can never get the metal ones as clean as a nice new filter

I also buy the filters in bulk, by doing this Im able to change all oil and filters for under 7 bucks a time, and I find that I change my oil much more frequently knowing it doesnt cost much ....when I run the expensive oils it seams that I dont change as often.....

the best oil is clean new oil, I run what I can afford to change, every tank of gas I change my oil, basically every ride

air filters I run both types (uni or K+n) depending on conditions
dry dusty I run uni, wet and muddy I run K+N,
the uni filters small microparticles better then the K+N
and the K+N doesnt hold water and mud like the Uni

both great filters in there environment

rhinomxer
02-25-2012, 08:19 AM
That Shell Rotella T stuff interest me. I like the price, availability, and use in both sides of engine. I no longer have any local dealers in business so cant buy stuff easy anymore, but got a walmart.