PDA

View Full Version : 04 Trx250ex change clutch won't release

Quadcodile
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
So I just bought this quad, it had a broken shift shaft, the kid I bought it from replaced it but didn't get the neutral/reverse switch aligned correctly so I took the alternator cover off and got the switch aligned correctly, installed everything back correctly The quad runs fine, and shifts rough into and out of all gears. The change clutch just will not release. I've adjusted it both ways with no change in operation at all. I noticed this problem before I fixed the switch but hoped after I got it running and filled it with oil it would be ok but it's not. Does anything under the clutch cover get bent or sprung when the shift shaft is depressed so hard that it breaks? Is it an easy fix with the clutch cover off? I have an 02 so I compare everything to it.

Thanks for any and all help.

Quadcodile
02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Wow this post went viral!!

I pulled the front case cover off, inspected everything carefully, found nothing wrong with linkage as I had expected. I started pricing clutch kits and then thought, how can a worn itch not release, it should slip like hell if it was worn out.

I pulled the lever, and entire release mechanism to further inspect. Removed plate, and springs. I then checked to see if friction discs were stuck to steel plates and sure enough they were stuck. This bike has been sitting for awhile without oil in it. I separated each disc and sprayed oil between plates all the way around. Put everything back together and it now releases properly and works perfectly. Thanks to all of you who submitted suggestions I could not have done it without chall.

PS this is kinda like a time capsul for my horrible memory.

SHIFTx450
05-13-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm about to bring my 98 recon back to life, I remember it has the same problem.

Thanks for the input!

I'll give it a shot.