PDA

View Full Version : Xc setup

fast shee
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
So i just purchased a 09 drr90. My son will be running mostly xc and some mx if possible. I am looking to you drr guys for help on a relable xc setup for my son. He is getting off a modded kfx80 and has been running for 3 years now. He is 7 yrs old 65lbs and would rate him as a intermediate rider. What suspension, engine setup would you recomend for him. The bike is a stock engine and suspension machine. Any recomendations appreciated.

skyeryder
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
For xc you can get by with just a nice set of shocks (Fox, Motowoz, even elkas if set-up right) Slipper sprocket for xc/ slipper clutch for mx. You'll need a snorkel and/or alot of duct tape you need to protect that air filter. A nice of ATV fourplay bars or flexx bars are a nice addition. I don't know what your tracks are like but DWT or Maxxis mini rear tires they are alittle taller than the sno hogs. that's a start...

fomospede
02-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Skyryder has you going the right way
we run elkas that work awesome (been apart like 15 times getting them perfect)
precision bar mounts (cheaper and less maint) than flexx bars
steering stabilizer is a huge help
we do not run a slipper sprocket or clutch he has broken one trans but he knows not to land on the gas
the slipper sprockets can come loose
we have a hetrick xc airbox i would sell goes up under front plastic
seal up the oil injection stator cover area it will not last long if not!

Longdong
02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Hetricks airbox is a must. This is a very good setup!!!!

fast shee
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I was looking at the fox or a set of custom stadium suspension. How are these swingarms for throwing chains? Like the sound of that hetrick xc air box. Any different plumbing required? I was going to just put on a stick stabilizer for the front with a set of spare flexx bars i have here. As for tires was thinking maxxis 940 or itp quad cross 18x8x8. By the sounds of things these things are not very water proof. Major job to keep these things dry?

skyeryder
02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
our first drr had fox shocks we loved them once we backed the rebound out on rear, took the whoops and rough alot better. the hetrick air box is a direct bolt-on basically, just have to rejet prolly. Never rac the m940's for xc but thinking of trying them myself...we have a set of the wider DWT's and love them.

Waterproofing is the biggest obstacle to not DNFing, we used the milk jug trick all season and never DNF'd, but the Hetrick intake is prolly better. We were just very creative with duct tape, lol

fomospede
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
waterproofing everybody has a method
i make my own stator oil pump block off plate
the over the shelf one are ok but if you have time and the equipment you can get that water tight
its not only racing xc but the power washer can get you too!
we run a lowered engine in the rear with a 400ex chaine slide zero problems
let me know if your interested in hetrick box
i dont need a spare!

fast shee
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
How is the power out off these machines in stock form? Snow up here so no where to try it for another month? Looks like most people are jumping right into these engines. Are they that slow? If so what combination works best while keeping it managable in the woods? Porting stock cylinder any good? I know it is hard to tell without knowing the riders capabilities but how about for the average rider?