PDA

View Full Version : Flipping The Front Wheels Around To Make The Front End Wider?

cheater13
02-21-2012, 11:33 AM
What do you guys think of this? I cannot afford a arms at the moment and i heard about this and thought about giving it a try.

chronicsmoke
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
everytime somebody runs wheel spacers or a flipped rim, god kills a cat.

But seriously, it will make you wider, but will handle like ****.. not worth it. I'd rather be narrow and have good handling characteristics

cheater13
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I dont mind him killen cats but why would it make handling more poor? I thought the wider it is, the more stable it will be on the ground?

chronicsmoke
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Not the case, yes it will be more stable (stay flat in corners) But you'll have so much bump steer due to the pivot point relationship between your wheel and spindle.. you're adding so much leverage moving the pivot point away from the spindle..

Your bars will get jerked out of your hands in rough terrain.

Not worth it, I had done that when I was 16 or something, but switched back until I could afford suspension years (what felt like an eternity) later.

jmo

cheater13
02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Alright, thanks chronic! I'm 17 and i just cant afford suspension or a arms at the moment. I normally ride in fields or in the woods, but not too rough. That's why i was considering this though.

Anyone else have any more experience with this?

01boneless
02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
everybody is gonna tell you it will hurt handeling... ive ran flipped rims and spacers before also rode a quad with wider arms. fealt no diffrent to me. may be a little more bump steer but really got to be a wuss to let it bother you.I raced mx with +2 stud style spacers and worked fine on huge jumps. your choice everyone is now gonna say im a idiot hahaha

Scro
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
I always refer anyone that ask this question to this thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

The whole thread is an excellent read, but the 4th paragraph in the first post explains the facts about why flipped rims and spacers are bad news.

gojk
02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
I ran flipped wheels for a while and I bent tie rods all of the time. Got some aftermarket arms and I am much happier and I now have a few spare tie rods laying around that haven't been pulled out of the parts bin in years.

tri5ron
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I always refer anyone that ask this question to this thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

The whole thread is an excellent read, but the 4th paragraph in the first post explains the facts about why flipped rims and spacers are bad news.
X2

cheater13
02-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the posts everyone! I decided im just not going to do it i guess.