PDA

View Full Version : sputtering

nelzar13
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
so my basket case project is up and running, not running the best but running...

So what im experiencing is pretty good sputtering / hesitation? i guess you could say in first and second gear. after im all warmed up and everything ill take it out for a spin,its fine if im just ripping around my yard lightly just lightly on the the throttle.. but when ever i get out on the road i like to rip through the gears. What im getting is sizable hesitation in first and second gear but once i get into third its time to hold on. from there on up it runs fine?
carb has been cleaned(stock carb) pet cock has been cleaned as well as the gas tank being flushed out to the best of my ability of old gas and what ever else may have been sitting in there for what ever period of time it may have been sitting before i got it... reeds are new air filter is freshly cleaned and oiled. fresh top end(.80 over 200psi of compression) new plug, as far as jetting goes my main is a 162 and i believe my pilot is stock im also 1.5 turns out... its just boggling my mind that its only actting wierd in 1st and 2nd?

Any ideas?

machwon
02-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Too rich on the main jet. If i remember correctly, I would run a 155-158 main jet on a stock carb.

Deadly
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by nelzar13
so my basket case project is up and running, not running the best but running...

So what im experiencing is pretty good sputtering / hesitation? i guess you could say in first and second gear. after im all warmed up and everything ill take it out for a spin,its fine if im just ripping around my yard lightly just lightly on the the throttle.. but when ever i get out on the road i like to rip through the gears. What im getting is sizable hesitation in first and second gear but once i get into third its time to hold on. from there on up it runs fine?
carb has been cleaned(stock carb) pet cock has been cleaned as well as the gas tank being flushed out to the best of my ability of old gas and what ever else may have been sitting in there for what ever period of time it may have been sitting before i got it... reeds are new air filter is freshly cleaned and oiled. fresh top end(.80 over 200psi of compression) new plug, as far as jetting goes my main is a 162 and i believe my pilot is stock im also 1.5 turns out... its just boggling my mind that its only actting wierd in 1st and 2nd?

Any ideas?
Remember cold air makes you leaner so I'd start with bumping up 2 main jet sizes from stock, up one on the pilot and start with your needle clip in the 3rd position. Can;t blow an R up from being too fat ;) You can really tell what needs what just by your throttle position.
•pilot jet (0-1/4 throttle)
•air screw (0 - 1/4 throttle)
•needle (1/4 to 3/4 throttle)
•main jet (3/4 to full throttle)

machwon
02-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Let me explain a little better of what is going on. The motor is sputter is 1-2nd gear because it is too rich. As you shift up into 3-4th gears more load is put on the motor so it enjoys the extra fuel and consumes the excess fuel. Start with a new plug gapped at .020" as the one you have is already fouled.

nelzar13
02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Right on.. thanks alot guys.. ill shoot out to the bike shop and grab a bunch of jets and some plugs and see what happens. Once the engine gets tuning smoothly ill be super happy for sure! Can't wait for some nice snappy two stroke power!