PDA

View Full Version : Cost of basic engine rebuild

88redrocket
02-19-2012, 08:32 PM
So Ive decided to take my motor out and freshen it up before spring arrives. It still runs fine but in the 4 years Ive had it Ive never touched the bottom end so I thought it'd be a good time to go through it. I was just wondering how much $$ a basic rebuild will set me back. I plan on having the crank rebuilt, all new bearings and seals, clutch rebuild, and just a hone and new piston. I know its hard to tell what else is going to need replacing untill I start tearing it apart but Im just looking for a rough estimate. My friends dad has a machine shop and works on small motors so Im going to have him split the case and do the clutch I know he will give me a good deal on that.... Also whats a good place to send my crank out for rebuilding?
Thanks

450madman
02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Just had my bottom end gone through and a refresh on top. Nothing major, just new seals, bearings, clutch on bottom and a piston and hone. Cost me $760 total. $200 or $250 just to split the case, can't remember which. They said around $250 to rebuild the crank.
IMO I wouldn't have the cases split if I were you unless you know there are issues. You can have your crank and bearing play tested with your top end off and you don't have to split the cases to change the clutch or crank seals. This was the first time the bottom end of my 86 was opened up and looked brand new inside.
I had to have my bottom end gone through because I blew a hole in my piston and had metal in the crank bearings.
Hope this helps

265 sleeper
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
x2 on that if nothing wrong dont fix it. check and see if something out of tollerance first . iknow people who still running same bearings and rings in thier R's. but if you do split cases upgrade your bearings to 8ball bearings instead of the 7 that come in normaly. if you can get the work done for free. new cranks go for 200 for stock with bearings n seals. piston kit 120 ,complete gasket set 45-50. port and polish around 250

All250R
02-20-2012, 10:04 AM
What happens when a bearing reaches the end of its lifespan? What happens when a crank seal starts to weep? What happens when the bearing starts to slip on the crankshaft journal, or the rod becomes too loose?

What happens when failure finally occurs are repairs that cost way more than it would have been to do the preventative maintenance... It's the least sexy work to do on a performance engine, but the bottom end is the foundation that supports everything. They HAVE to be gone through periodically.

All250R
02-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 88redrocket
So Ive decided to take my motor out and freshen it up before spring arrives. It still runs fine but in the 4 years Ive had it Ive never touched the bottom end so I thought it'd be a good time to go through it. I was just wondering how much $$ a basic rebuild will set me back. I plan on having the crank rebuilt, all new bearings and seals, clutch rebuild, and just a hone and new piston. I know its hard to tell what else is going to need replacing untill I start tearing it apart but Im just looking for a rough estimate. My friends dad has a machine shop and works on small motors so Im going to have him split the case and do the clutch I know he will give me a good deal on that.... Also whats a good place to send my crank out for rebuilding?
Thanks
Don't let it go. You'll really kick yourself in the *** if something cuts loose. Like usual Honda designed this engine almost perfectly. It's easy to take the wear items for granted and let it go, but something will eventually break.

Having said that though, don't rebuild the crank just because. The OEM crank is the best crankshaft that has been made for these engines. If it's good, don't tear it apart. Speculation is not your friend. Measure the parts, preferably, the clutch and transmission shearing surfaces as well, or have someone who knows these engines and has the specs do it for you, but don't speculate. The only things that should be replaced probably universally without numbers are the bearings and seals.

Grande Huevos
02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by All250R
What happens when a bearing reaches the end of its lifespan? What happens when a crank seal starts to weep? What happens when the bearing starts to slip on the crankshaft journal, or the rod becomes too loose?

What happens when failure finally occurs are repairs that cost way more than it would have been to do the preventative maintenance... It's the least sexy work to do on a performance engine, but the bottom end is the foundation that supports everything. They HAVE to be gone through periodically.
I would have to agree with All250R on this one! If you have never done any work on your motor whos to say anything has ever been done? 25 year old bearing and seals..........I have alot of money in my motor and i wouldnt risk killing it for a few extra bucks. Think about how much it would cost to fix if a crank bearing comes apart and trashes your crank, piston, cylinder, and possibly even the cases! You will know your motor is fresh and tight and in tip top condition. Also it gives you a chance to inspect everthing so there are no surprises. You can get an entire bearing and seal kit for around $50 and with some basic tools you can split the case and do all the work your self. I am not a mechanic by any means but it was a walk in the park for me my first time and i got all the info i needed to do it off of this web site! Check out the brand All Balls on ebay they are the good jap bearings with the 8 balls

88redrocket
02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah I figured I would go over everything top to bottom just for preventative maintainence. I did have the crank seal on the stator side start leaking a while back, I put a new one in and its been fine since but I guess I will have to wait untill I take it apart and start measuring surfaces and play to tell for sure. I would have gone with a brand new assembeled oem crank but honda discontinued them and last time I checked esr didnt have anymore, so as far as I know rebuilding my oem (if needed) is the next best route.

Fear250r
02-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Check out Harry's Machine for crankwork. They're right in Mass. My buddies shop uses them for all their stuff and it's where my stuff was done too.

I think they're in Northborough.