View Full Version : Cam stg 1 or 2 ?

qlphoton
02-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Im new on here,so here is my question.If i put in a sparks advance timing key,should i go with a stage 1 or 2 hotcam?The engine is stock at the moment,and i intend to put on a HMF slip on ,and a Pro design foam filter in the future.Ive already got a jet kit waiting to be used,and just gotta take this a step at a time as money becomes available.Any help would be greatly appreciated thank u.I forgot to add that im just a trail rider.

WoodTRD
02-19-2012, 07:29 AM
I would get the slip on and air filter before I worried about the cam. As far as stg1 vs stg2 that depends on where you like your power and how far you plan on taking the motor. I went with a stage 1, lost a hair off idle, gained a ton of low-midrange and a little top end. I love the instant power it provides on trails, with my mods and a 14 t front sprocket I can loft the front end over obstacles in any gear at any speed.

However on the mx track and especially in the dunes I feel it falling a bit flat at high rpms...stg2 would be a better fit for there. If I had known I was going to be building my motor this soon I probably would have went with stage 2, but with the 11:1 416 and 450r carb it should be a torque monster with the stage 1. Perfect for the trails and easy to ride on the mx track.