PDA

View Full Version : 06 piston info

jpfmotors
02-18-2012, 10:43 AM
I am currently doing a complete rebuild on my xc bike for next year. the piston that is in it is still the original piston so i decided it would be a good idea to replace it. so my questions are
1. what company would be a decent company to use looking at JE, CP,
2. what compression should i use? I would like to stay on pump gas but if i need to mix gas to get a little extra power can do that
3. were should i purchase the piston through for the best price?

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. I will start a rebuild thread when i starting getting things back

Pacheco_450r
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
The 06's came stock with a 12:1 compression ratio piston so you can't really bump it much higher (12.5:1) and stay on pump gas. If you are willing to mix you can get a 13:1 and won't have to run straight race gas, this obviously won't be as much of a power gain as a 14.5:1.

Brand-wise they are all pretty close, I personally run a CP piston, but JE and other big names are all about the same. Companies like Baldwin and Curtis sparks make their own custom pistons but are a lot more expensive!

I would keep an eye out for steals in the classifieds section on this site or on ebay, that's where you will get the best deals. Everywhere else will be about the same price since they normally just use the same msrp. Although KBmotorsports does sometimes have good deals and nice sales on parts and motor stuff if you catch it at the right time.

Hope all of that helps!

jpfmotors
02-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I was looking for 12.5 but they dont seam as available as a 12.8 or higher guess ill just start scowering ebay and such thanks

xcracer416
02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
i see you list derisi in your signature, i would give him a call. he uses one of the best engine guys, that dosent get the credit.

my head and cylinder is at his shop right now as we speak. he can do amazing things for an xc engine. thats all he used to race.