PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade suspension... Suggestions?

zje400ex
02-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Like the title says, I'm looking to upgrade the outdated suspension on my 2002 shee. I do mostly woods and trail riding.

Should i just look for some works shocks and stay with my stock arms or look for some +2's? And how much would you pay for used +2 arms?

THanks

Hondamaster5505
02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
It's all about the money.

I have +2+1 arms on my bike with Works triple rates valved for XC style riding, and love my setup in the woods. My stock rear worn out shock still kills the ride but the front just floats. HUGE difference compared to the stock front end.

If you're on a budget, stock front arms with works shocks valved for trail/XC would be find. If you don't mind spending, some extended arms would make a difference.
Rear you can just get rebuilt as its fully adjustable. They make different spring and valving rebuilds.

TWILES
02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Keep in mind the stock width of a Banshee. 43.? wide. A stock 450, which is what you will be running against, or with, is 46". You could go with a +1 per side or even a +2 per side with -1 wheels are be fine. I liked my Banshee front shocks but I bought mine new and like to have to push my suspension and make it work for me. The few pre-load setting on the stock shocks actually do a lot and the valving matches the back shock which is as good as any you will buy,

A Banshee also comes stock with the camber set positive and that hurts it as much as anything. It makes the front tire roll in at the bottom instead of pushing them into the dirt when you push it hard into a turn.

Basically, unless you really like to haul ***, a set of a-arms using the stock shock is a good set-up. The length is up to you depends on where you ride. When you buy wheels, the rears will be Honda offset and will set the rear at like 48"s wide. Wider is better...

zje400ex
02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys. I used to ride a trx450r and it had a nice suspension setup stock for me. And now the banshee seems lacking. Love the power of the 2stroke, but miss the handling on the track and trails.

I found a set of used lonestars and laegars for around $300 shipped. I feel like if i wait i can find a better deal.

Hondamaster5505
02-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Definitely upgrade the shocks. The stock front shocks BLOW and the preload adjustments hardly make a difference. Stock fronts are garbage through and through.

dmfisher71
03-26-2012, 07:07 PM
do a yfz450 front end... a arms and shocks stock yfx shocks are halfway decent they wont compare to an elka or anything like that but not bad... i actually have a pair of ebay cheapo nitrogen air shocks on the front of mine that are not to bad they were like $120 much better than the crappy stockers and running a stock rear on my banshee

zje400ex
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I just bought some fullflight +2's and also extended my rear axle +2. I'm just looking around for a good deal on some works shocks or maybe some elkas.