PDA

View Full Version : I know what this is but take a look, VID

Thumpin440ex
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM
This is a cursed bike. I just did the valves less then 10 hours ago. Now it sounds like this. Annoying as hell.. I am bout do away with this stg3 cam, or even by a 250r. I don't think I ever seen a bike with valves as funky as mine. THIS DOES SOUND LIKE A VALVE ISSUE CORRECT. Incase you miss it, it is a horrid harmonic howling sound at the top, fall of the rev

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/th_IMG_0760.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/?action=view&current=IMG_0760.mp4)

John

CJM
02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
It could be time to replace the valves and springs ya know?

Thumpin440ex
02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I was hoping you would chime in. I thought that initially, but when I had the head off, the valves looked like new( no BS) This engine might have 110 hours on it since new. I know it did sit for a few years with out running so it is a possible the springs might be getting soft. Have you heard any bikes howl like this before?

Thanks John

CJM
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Yea, a friend of mine bought a mint 03 that was sitting for easy 5 years. His sounds the same way when you rev it up and although I havent torn it apart I was thinking its valvetrain related.

Springs might be worn, I know when I checked mine they were not in spec and I ordered new kibblewhites motosport had on clearance. Mine never made that noise tho, mine just has insane ticking.

Thumpin440ex
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I might look into some KB's or OEM's. Going to check the valves 1 more time, do them again. If it happens again guess I am doing springs. Like I said less then 10 hours since last time. :/ do you know if the Kb's are a stiffer spring then OEM's?

John

CJM
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
They seemed stiffer, but my stock ones were worn out. I mic'd the stockers and thats how I knew, they were very off.

powerbomb400
02-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Check and see if something is vibrating. I don't think it is the springs. The motor sounded crisp on my phone. A couple of years ago I changed the starter cover with a billet one and just recently had to change starter motors. When I hit the starter it sounds like a starter for a top fuel dragster. Its a wild sound and the only thing that we can figure is the billet cover. To me when it only made a vibrating sound after you let off the throttle. Noticed in your pic that you have wire cover over your clutch cable. See if it is vibrating on a piece of metal.

powerbomb400
Check and see if something is vibrating. I don't think it is the springs. The motor sounded crisp on my phone. A couple of years ago I changed the starter cover with a billet one and just recently had to change starter motors. When I hit the starter it sounds like a starter for a top fuel dragster. Its a wild sound and the only thing that we can figure is the billet cover. To me when it only made a vibrating sound after you let off the throttle. Noticed in your pic that you have wire cover over your clutch cable. See if it is vibrating on a piece of metal.

powerbomb400

crownandmonster
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Looking new and actually being new are totally different. Few people realize how important Valve springs actually are. If you've got 110 hours on your build and it sat for years with pressure on the springs its time for new ones. They are such cheap insurance that I always put them on when I have the head off ( if the bike has a decent amount of run time). When they start getting really weak you'll notice the bike not wanting to turn a lot of RPM.