PDA

View Full Version : new 2012 drr 50 question

yz450f rider
02-15-2012, 09:49 PM
is the new 2012 that much better say then a 2010 in 50cc
i read alot about alot of changes like swingarms longer better shocks exc is the shocks compairable to a fox standard travel shock . is the cylinder and pipe that much better. or what im trying to say is we got a 2010 that were running in the limited stock class and it looks like the new 2012 is worked up qlot better would it be worth selling the 10 to get a 2012

EthansDad
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't know - and won't until the gate drops round 1. I've been following the "what's new"on these - and it does have a fair amount of new motor parts - not sure if that will make or break things.

my BET - the 2012 will make 2-3 bikes lengths on the holeshot - BUT it will be up to the rider really when the race get's going.

-EA

yz450f rider
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
now how would that go in the limited stock class the rules states that you can upgrade the shocks but can not have more then 4 inches wheel travel now the 2012 model says it has 6 inches of travel. i was thinking on buying the standard travel fox shocks but could i just get away with buying stock 2012 shocks what would be the best bet

EthansDad
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I hadn't seen anything about swinger/a-arm geometry change - I don't think there is one - but yes, new shocks on the new model.

my guess at the nats - most will have the stock shocks (no matter how nice they are) off and have motowoz/elka/pep or something of the like on there. you also need to read the rules with your "inspection googles on". it says no more than 4 in of SHOCK travel - which is different than WHEEL travel.

I know our 2010 limited with after market shocks had enough travel to get the job done - it was more than 4 in of wheel travel - that is for sure.

here are the rules for 2012 for the limited class:

50cc Limited: Production models. The following may be changed: shocks (limited to maximum 4" shock travel), tires, wheels (must not change stock width) internal portions of the motor, spark arrestor may be removed (must still meet 98dB/a), sprockets, gearing, clutch, twist throttle, handlebars and handlebar pads, grips, front bumper, rear grab bar, air filter and jetting. Air box lid may be removed or modified. Fenders may be trimmed. Manufacturer installed parental speed limiting devices may be removed. Nerf bars or suitable floorboards and working tether cords are required. No other modifications allowed, INCLUDING, carburetors, oil injection, air box, gas tank, exhaust systems, wheel base, width, rear axle, A-arm, steering dampener, and suspension (with the exception of shocks).

desratt
02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
The changes actually took place in 2011 right? had an 09 and bought a 2011. Huge difference... not aware of any changes for2012.