PDA

View Full Version : Cam question

brewster426
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
I know the early model crf cams and heads will swap in the Trx. For some reason I was thinkin there was something special with the 08 Trx head or cam. Seems like I read something about that maybe? Another thing..if the crf cam in the Trx is a good upgrade, would a crf cam stage 2 or 3 HC be even better for TT and MX style racing. Or would I be better off just sticking with the aftermarket Trx designed cam? I'm not building anything crazy, just looking for a strong dependable motor.

eastside 400
02-15-2012, 09:51 PM
the 08 TRX ER needs a special cam, the decompression mechanism is different. all the other models can use the CRF cams, i believe 02-06 CRF cams, maybe 07 too but not sure. Most of the aftermarket cams are the same for CRF and TRX. the stg 2 hotcam is a really good MX cam, the 02CRF cam is a decent all around cam

xcracer416
02-15-2012, 09:51 PM
i think the crf hc is the same pt# as the trx.

brewster426
02-15-2012, 10:30 PM
What if I deleted the decomp mech. Or got the one that goes with the year cam I get? I'm just looking at my options. I'm on a super tight budget

xcracer416
02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
you probally wont be able to kick start it. the sparks cam is supposed to be the same as the 02 crf stock cam

brewster426..........did you and your dad ride in a monster jam last year?

DnB_racing
02-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by brewster426
I know the early model crf cams and heads will swap in the Trx. For some reason I was thinkin there was something special with the 08 Trx head or cam. Seems like I read something about that maybe? Another thing..if the crf cam in the Trx is a good upgrade, would a crf cam stage 2 or 3 HC be even better for TT and MX style racing. Or would I be better off just sticking with the aftermarket Trx designed cam? I'm not building anything crazy, just looking for a strong dependable motor. the difference between the 06/07 and the 08/09/12 is the cam holder and cam.. the head is the same for all those years

the 06/07 cam tower is a more adjustable design

brewster426
02-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Nah man I've never ridden at the monster truck shows..I mainly just ride the mx tracks in west tn and hit up a few of the arenacross races that run around here. There's a TT track in sikeston, mo that I'm going to hit up a lot this summer.

eastside 400
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
the difference between the 06/07 and the 08/09/12 is the cam holder and cam.. the head is the same for all those years

The cam carrier is the same, just the decompression mechansim is different. Only the 08+ ER models use the different decompression mechanism. You can use all the parts from a 04-current kicker in the newer cam carrier. I wouldnt use the newer decompression mechanism in a kickstart bike tough, its not adjustable like the old style and its setup to work with a Estart

desratt
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
all kick starts use the original decompressor.
if my memory is right.
also I believe the base circle on stock cams changed slightly.
you can't put a stock 09 cam in a 06 bike. because the base cirlcle is larger there for you can't get proper valve clearance.
found out the hard way.