PDA

View Full Version : 250ex valves

TWILES
02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't know what a motor does when the valves float. My sister bought a 2006 model with a new stock carb and it pops bad on decel, a little when idling, and cuts out past half throttle. Theres a chatter in the bottom end when idling too. Are that the push rods chattering agaist the cam? Could valves being bad loose cause this?

Travis

dxcody
02-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
I don't know what a motor does when the valves float. My sister bought a 2006 model with a new stock carb and it pops bad on decel, a little when idling, and cuts out past half throttle. Theres a chatter in the bottom end when idling too. Are that the push rods chattering agaist the cam? Could valves being bad loose cause this?

Travis

Do you mean top end?

Ticking is 9 times out of 10 just loose valves in the top end..

Is it hard to start? Usually when the valves are out of specs it will start getting harder and harder to start and eventually wont start anymore.

The valves being out could cause the popping on decel.

I would put my bet that the valves are out. Good call man!

TWILES
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
I actually meant bottom end. The cam on the 250ex and 350 Rancher's are in the bottom and have push rods like a harley. I'm guessing the rods are dancing on the cam and thats what I'm hearing instead of a ticking in the top from the cam hitting the rocker arms. I'm tearing into it this weekend. If it was smoking or running fine with a knock I'd be really worried but I really believe this thng just needs a tune-up.

dxcody
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
oh i did not know that. Thats pretty cool.

I thought all cams on quads were on the top end?

Lol Best of luck with it!

Im saying your right though just valve ticking. Tune up will prolly fix her up good.

powerbomb400
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Was it the cam chain?