PDA

View Full Version : R head gasket leaks. Need some help.

mrusk
03-02-2003, 10:55 PM
On my R i had a cr head gasket. I had copper coat on it and it leaked hella bad. So i put a atc gasket in with copper coat. It still leaks alittle. It only leaks on the left side, where i broke a head stud. Could that of affected something?

I only have to heat cycles on the motor so far. THe leak does seem to be slowing up. Is this something that will fix itself? or should i go buy a stock gasket and use some of that three bond stuff on it?

Help me if ya can.

thanks matt

AndrewRRR
03-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Sounds to me like you don't have a gasket problem, you have a head or cylinder problem. Check them, I bet you'll find one or the other is warped.

300exazzkikr
03-03-2003, 03:18 PM
yeah, it sounds like that stud you broke isn't set correctly causing it to leak around it. Holes don't usually fill themselves in. If you don't fix it now it'll lead to worse things. BOOM:eek2: well maybe not that drastic but you've already lost compression so you have a real loss of power.

sly400ex
03-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Is the head warped possibly???

mrusk
03-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Hmm i'm guessing the head has to be warped or screw up since its only leaking on the one side. It isn't leaking bad it just seeps out around the gasket. I am going to proably pull the jug and bring it to a job.

Another thing- Saturday i ran the 1st head cycle, on sunday it took awhile to get it started. Then just 5 minutes ago it took some time to get going. Before i ran the 1st heat cycle i never ran it for more then a minute, but it always started 1st kick. It must be sucking anti freeze in or something?? When it doesnt start it makes that sound like it was about to start. uh

matt

AndrewRRR
03-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Have you pulled the bottom plug out of the motor to check for water. Also is there any white exhaust smoke? I'm sure your head is warped. Shouldn't be too expensive to get it milled. Hopefully it's your head an not your cylinder.

mrusk
03-04-2003, 02:43 PM
The head is a brand new esr billet. I must of fugged sometihng up when i broke the head stud torquing it down to much (long story). I will bring both to a local shop.

matt

CBW
03-04-2003, 03:05 PM
ESR Billet???,,,,,,,,,i dont know about yours but the one i have is o- ring sealed:huh :ermm:

i know that doesnt help your problem,,,,,,,,:o

i just thought all their billet heads were o-ringed

James70214
03-04-2003, 10:21 PM
No I had an esr billet head on my r and it used a headgasket.