PDA

View Full Version : Crank Inspection

fasterz
02-15-2012, 08:16 AM
I pulled apart my 04 450r motor that still has the original crank in it. I opened up the motor since I want to put in a JE Piston and new valves. Nothing was wrong with the motor prevously I just want to freshen it up for next season. How can I tell if I need a new crank? As far as play goes, there is no vertical play at all, side to side there is minimal play. I usually like to live by the fact if it aint broke dont fix it, especially with bottom ends but I am just curious as to if there is a way to tell if I should replace it or not. This is a relativly low hour 04 as I for the most part only ride it on the track and thats usually at most 5 or so times a year.

chronicsmoke
02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
So you haven't split the cases yet? Your call, but I would..

Next time I tear my 05 down, I'm putting new crank bearings in.. whether they are bad or not.. I check my filter religiously too during oil changes (less than 5 hours apart)

My opinion.. Would hate to see you in another 1500 if it lets go after you rebuild the top end..:ermm:

blacknblue#2
02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
If it's not been apart in 8 years I would at least tear it down and put bearings in it. You can check the crank to see it it's still in spec. I think your allowed .014 on the side to side play but don't hold me to that. Check your manual to get exact specs and allowable tolerance

upnorthridered
02-15-2012, 08:26 PM
i am doing the exact same rebuild right now and i was wondering if just replacing the crank bearings will fix the 04-05 crank bearing issue or is there something else you have to do also or should i just replace the crank and the bearings and be done with it?

eastside 400
02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
there is an updated crank and bearings that are used together, its the only crank and bearings that are offered...any time i have a bottom end apart that has over 40 hrs on it i put a crank in. Its not worth doing all that work and have a rod bearing lock up right after

beyer05
02-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
there is an updated crank and bearings that are used together, its the only crank and bearings that are offered...any time i have a bottom end apart that has over 40 hrs on it i put a crank in. Its not worth doing all that work and have a rod bearing lock up right after

x2

Ruf Racing
02-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
Its not worth doing all that work and have a rod bearing lock up right after

^^ The Statement Of The Day ^^

The big end rod bearing and thrust washers, are your problem. If it was the low hours you claim, you maybe fine for now. But don't fool yourself, the rod bearing will fail sooner than later. :ermm:

fasterz
02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies, I ended up ordering the updated honda crank. I am going to start up a winter build thread soon as I am doing a lot of work to the bike this winter.