PDA

View Full Version : My slow pregress build

blacknblue#2
02-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Hey guys, i have just a couple pictures of my hour here and hour there build lol. I bought this as basically a basket case of parts and work on it whenever time and money allows. Its nto much. Just something to keep my occupied. I just wanted something to play with, maybe take it on our yearly Hatfield trip and spend a day on it, or just play with it around the house. I live on 140 acres so it will prolly get played around on more at home than anywhere being that my CRF is my "daily rider". Most of you will prolly notice that im trying something on the rear end. A no link setup with a stock 450R swinger and a stock KFX450 front shock....Back when i raced all the time i could never afford a shock builder to rework my shocks every season, So i started playing with my own stuff and figured out the art of rebuilding a valving...carrying that on to now when i decided to try a no link setup i decided to try a front shock due to the mounting harware, I went inside the shock and valved it a little heavier. It might need more, I will know more when i ride it. Only thing im lacking of having everything is the motor. The fellow i bought it from had a motor but at the time i didnt have the funds and my main focus was a rolling chassis to start off. If he stills has the motor when im ready to buy i will be hitting him up. If not i will be on the hunt. I want something basically stock. Let me know what you think so far.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/220.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/250.jpg

beastlywarrior
02-15-2012, 09:36 AM
nice did you sell all your other rides

blacknblue#2
02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Over the last year or so i have cut myself back to 3 rides, A CRF450, polaris RZR (and its for sale) and this 250R. When i was living with the rents i could basically walk out in the garage and say "man what am i gonna ride today" lol....But cant afford that anymore, When it come time to part ways i kept the bike cause it covers all gounds, can be trail rode, MX rode, fast or slow...... fun and RELIABLE lol. I miss having a garage full of projects at times but its alright, after august my mind will be set on 50s and the small stuff for the little one.

mx91a
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Interesting rear suspension setup! Have you calculated how much wheel travel it will give you? Hopefully it works out for you I love seeing people try new things on these machines! I take it you won't be running an airbox?

blacknblue#2
02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by mx91a
Interesting rear suspension setup! Have you calculated how much wheel travel it will give you? Hopefully it works out for you I love seeing people try new things on these machines! I take it you won't be running an airbox?

No airbox, Im hoping i can find some kind of intake to work around the shock, If not i will have to fabricate something. I havent done any figuring on how much wheel travel i will have yet, After i got the shock back together last night i was mainly just anxious to get it on the ground to see what kind of ride height i was gonna have. I will be back at it for an hour or two tonight tho.. I actually love being a guy to try new things and be able to tell others about it lol. If it dont work its not a big loss, I didnt do any hacking or chopping so it would be easy to go back to the factory link setup...If it does work, I bought these kfx shocks as a pair so i have another id let go haha

250Renvy
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
If it doesn't work out, you can grind or machine the mounts down and they will work with a set of +3 or +3 a-arms.

J250r
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Very interesting rear suspension set up. I'm anxious to hear how it performs.

fearlessfred
02-15-2012, 07:17 PM
I have seen something like this done before,and they had to use really stiff springs to hold the bike up to ride height and once they had enough spring, the rising rate, was so steep from the shock being layed down that the shock wouldnt bottom.they did get them were they worked pretty well,but they had some really heavy springs

zyoung04
03-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Id jack the handle bars up and put a new quad under them.......problem solved bill