PDA

View Full Version : Ignition/coil testing

jessieherrera
02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Hello,
ALWAYS be careful when doing any operation of any nature as to not cause any harm, danger. or injury. I please ask that you always practice safety and common sense when doing anything. Only practice my practices if you feel totally comfortable in doing so. They are only my experiences and practices. These are only my own opinions and do them at your own discretion. You don't have to do it.
I always welcome input, information, and critisizm. I also learn something new every day. Please respond. Thank you.
Spark or ignition problems:
Everything may be okay, but you may not have spark when the plug is in.
Under demand the spark can be extinguished and not spark.
Check your spark plug wire first. It should read about 7k ohms per foot though any automotive book will tell you.
You may have a faulty ignition module, but let’s check the coil first.
Coil:
Try taking a voltage reading at the positive pole of the coil (+) when you’re cranking. It should be at least 7-8 volts though some vehicles may require higher. Set your multimeter to the voltage range that contains 12 volts. If it's an analog meter (Dial or needle type). If it's digital you don't have to. Put it on the DC voltage setting. If the voltage is low then most likely that's your problem.
Check the wires on the coil to see if they're loose or broken. An easy way of finding if your coil is faulty is to attach a SEPARATE battery to your coil. DISCONNECT the positive wire that is already there at the coil FIRST!
Attach the ground off your remote battery's ground by a small cable or wire to a GOOD ground point on you FRAME, or a fork, or brake pedal or whatever, nothing painted. There are 2 poles, or terminals, on your coil that your wires connect to. Attach the Positive side of the REMOTE battery to the POSITIVE side, or terminal, of the COIL. It should have a + sign or +mark next to where the wire connects. The other wire, terminal should be -, but don't concern yourself with that. If your engine starts then you have no voltage to your coil and your coil is good. If it doesn't start then you have a faulty coil, poor connection, or a faulty ignition module. The easiest way to find out if your coil is bad is to substitute another. If it starts then that’s your problem, the same with your ignition module. If you want to learn and save yourself some money sometimes it’s better to borrow and try than to just buy and hope for the best.
How to Check an Ignition Coil:
Measure the coil primary resistance. Using an ohmmeter, connect the red lead to the coil's positive (+) electrical connector, and the ohmmeter's black lead to the coil's negative (-) electrical connector. An average resistance reading could be between 0.3 and 1.0 ohms.
Measure the coil secondary resistance. Connect the ohmmeter's black lead to the coil's negative (-) electrical connector and the ohmmeter's red lead to the coils terminal-where the distributor or spark plug wire attaches to. A typical resistance reading could be 8,000 to 11,500 ohms.
Replace the coil if any of the readings for your particular coil is bellow or above the specifications indicated in your service manual.
Reinstall the coil, electrical connector, wires and connect the negative cable to the battery terminal. If everything checks out okay then your timing may be off.
Good luck.