PDA

View Full Version : Did i mess it up?

luvmyex
03-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Today was the 2nd good ride on my new motor.By the time we were about to load up i had about 6 hrs on my motor.Only bliping past half throttle maybe 6 times.Other than that i didnt rev it high or really get on it hard.But everybody started to drag,And i couldnt stand the erge anylonger.I lined up with my friend(who has always beat me by 2-6 lenghts.I beat him up and back.:D Lined up with a 426 the same 400 i just beat,a Z400(thats always smoked me by 8-10 lenghts,And one other 400ex with a 13th up front.We took off and i never saw any of them!:eek2: Lined up beside the z comming back and beat him again.This was about 1/2 way tru 5th gear both ways.The 426 did bend the teeth on his rear sprocket so ill give him that.But i beat all of them.By 2 lenghts :blah Okay enough braging.After i raced 3 passes up and back i was hearing a light ping at idle and barely reving.Did i mess something up? I sure hope not.Cause its running like hell!What is the ping im hearing?I havent really looked at nothing cause we were loading up.Kinda sounds like the heatshield rattling.But i havent looked as i said.

honda400zx
03-02-2003, 10:54 PM
valvs probly loosened up diring breakin check your clearences

Guy400
03-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Check your valve clearance now that the motor has had a couple heat cycles through it. BTW, have you changed the break-in oil yet? If you have, did you replace the oil filter?

luvmyex
03-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Check your valve clearance now that the motor has had a couple heat cycles through it. BTW, have you changed the break-in oil yet? If you have, did you replace the oil filter?
Ok i did check the clearance after the 20 min ride,But ill do it again.Yes i did change the oil After 20 mins and filter.I will change the oil again before i ride next weekend.I also changed the filter.Every thing seems fine except the light pinging at idle or slightly higher than idle.And that only started after racing

jb400exxx
03-02-2003, 11:53 PM
most likely it's the valve clearances. don't worry about it, just check them and if they are a little off then fix it. no big deal.

Castor-426ex
03-02-2003, 11:55 PM
speaking of 416's what jetting should i run? i ran a big gun full system and k&n before should i leave it at that when i reassemble the motor for break in?

luvmyex
03-03-2003, 09:30 PM
I havent checked the clearance yet.But when i loaded up to go wash it today i looked for it.I pressed on the heatshield a little and the pinging stopped.not sure if its the shield or header yet but atleast its not the engine.Whew!I was real nervious about it.

Doibugu2
03-03-2003, 09:33 PM
So with your 416 you were beating 426's? Thats pretty sweet. I think next year I will be bumping my power up a bit. Are you still running regular gas or are u mix with race gas?

luvmyex
03-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Just 93 oct gas.I did beat him but he didnt finish the race.He said he bent the teeth on his rear sprocket.He should have me though.He also has a fcr41mm carb. But he didnt in that run:D And im really happy with the rebuild.I can ride at half throttle and still run almost as fast as i did before at full.Not quite but pretty close.

sparks400ex101
03-03-2003, 11:07 PM
hey i noticed you livein greenboro, i live in franklinton, and ride with my dad in louisburg i was just wondering where you ride at....im always lookin for new places:p

Sporttrax400ex
03-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Valves maybe i would check it and make sure before i rode it again if you have a good motor..:devil

luvmyex
03-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by sparks400ex101
hey i noticed you livein greenboro, i live in franklinton, and ride with my dad in louisburg i was just wondering where you ride at....im always lookin for new places:p
I do mostly local riding>went to a place this weekend near Sanford and Ft Bragg that was cool.Alot of places i do ride arent "public riding areas".Look at www.atvnc.com for some local places.They are doing a group ride about once a month.