PDA

View Full Version : carb poppin/runnin hot

pdanko
02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
well hello to all, i have a 03 and it is actin up what i have done so far is adjusted the valves, cleaned the carb and got a new plug and it is still poppin through the carb and hesitant. when it is runnin and i spray carb cleaner around the front boot it picks up idle and smooths out. so i took the boot off and checked it for cracks that could be lettin extra air in and can't see anything. any ideas what /where to look next. thanx

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
carb popping and running hot are caused by being lean, does it seem to help if you turn the a/f screw out at all?

dxcody
02-15-2012, 02:35 AM
another thing just to check would be timing.. Could be a little off.

But it shouldnt change the idle when you spray anything around the boot.

Thomas440
02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
I had the same problem, air fuel mixtures Probably lean, get a bigger pilot jet or adjust your a/f screw.

crownandmonster
02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
If you spray carb cleaner and the idle picks up, its sucking air somewhere even if you cant see the crack.

powerbomb400
02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Isn't there a O-ring that is on the end of the boot that bolts up to the Jug.

WoodTRD
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
If you spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around the carb boot and the idle picks up you have an air leak somewhere around there...which explains it running lean. Make sure the boot has a good seal to both the carb and head and has no cracks in it. Don't remember for sure if the ex has a o ring in it where the boot bolts to the head or not, I think it does though, another thing to check.

dxcody
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Yea it does have an O ring in the boot. Watch out, from getting hot then cold then hot then cold etc.. alot of times they will dryrot and become very fragile and you dont want any of that getting inside your valvetrain so becareful when you take that boot off to check.

Lean is about the worst running condition. Makes it very hot and can warp alot of parts, extra wear etc.. so be sure to get this figured out!

pdanko
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
thanx alot guys i will check it out more tomorrow. i checked the boot over real good but i will look over the oring next. killin me not to have it going , especially when it snows bout 2-3 can really tear it up then

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
another thing just to check would be timing.. Could be a little off.

But it shouldnt change the idle when you spray anything around the boot. So what timming are you talking about? the cam or the igniton? jw

dxcody
02-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
So what timming are you talking about? the cam or the igniton? jw

:confused: im afraid i dont understand.

Rusty91o
02-16-2012, 01:55 AM
I think WoodTRD hit it right on the head. Exactly what I would think too.

TheAwesomehonda
02-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
:confused: im afraid i dont understand. I saw on your first post that you said to check the timing and i'm wondering what timing your talking about?

01boneless
02-16-2012, 09:10 AM
the only timing you can check the engine....

Drfat400ex
02-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
I saw on your first post that you said to check the timing and i'm wondering what timing your talking about?
If your talking about what I think you are (the time of your spark) if that was off I don't think it would work at all. He's talking about valve timing.

TheAwesomehonda
02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
If your talking about what I think you are (the time of your spark) if that was off I don't think it would work at all. He's talking about valve timing. Oh valve timing has to be checked with the head cover off.. The only way the spark timing could be off is if the icm is broken.

JOHNDOE83
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by WoodTRD
If you spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around the carb boot and the idle picks up you have an air leak somewhere around there...which explains it running lean. Make sure the boot has a good seal to both the carb and head and has no cracks in it. Don't remember for sure if the ex has a o ring in it where the boot bolts to the head or not, I think it does though, another thing to check.

I also agree with this "kinda" and it should be checked out.

BUT if you havent tried the A/F screw your wasting your time, all of your symptoms are based around your A/F screw ratio not being right, If it ran fine before and now just started doing it and the screw doesnt effect it enough, you might need to up the jetting OR you have a leak somewhere beyond the carb like the carb boot.

TRY THE SCREW!!!...lol. :chinese: