PDA

View Full Version : how do you polish a motor mount

fast330ex
03-02-2003, 10:42 PM
I have a 300ex and want to start polishing stuff. What are the best ways to polish a motor mount.

03-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by fast330ex
I have a 300ex and want to start polishing stuff. What are the best ways to polish a motor mount.

if its like a 400ex..when they curve by the area they mount to teh frame..there will be small gouges..get 180 grit and sand away at that area....and the whole thing..be sure to sand only in one direction....then get 400 grit and sand in the same direction....if you feel it necasarryy to go up a higher grit just for that little extra smoothness....then do it..then either take mothers and a rag..mothers a dremel(what i use) or an actual polishing compound and a buffing wheel

speedy400
03-03-2003, 01:31 AM
how do you use a dremel w/ mothers?did you buy a buffing type thing for it? -darren

BigThumper33
03-03-2003, 01:50 AM
dremel polishing sucks in my opinion. You can see the dremel pad width in the metal. Get yourself a larger polishing wheel that will fit onto a drill. The wider surface of that polishing wheel will not show irregularities on the metal. I simply put the wheel in the drill and clamp the drill into a vise....ghetto yet simple. I start sanding with a 220 grit then jump to a 600, then 1000, then 1500, then polish. You do not have to go in the same direction between papers. It is actually best to which directions between grits....this allows you to see if you have all the scratches out from the rougher grit.

ill_lil_romey
03-03-2003, 01:54 AM
I just polished my motor mounts today and they came out great. They were pretty beat down so I had to do alot of sanding to get them smooth. I started with 100 grit because they were so rought. Then 180 till smooth, 220, 320,400,600. Jewelers rouge then mothers. Came out beautiful.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Sand paper and mothers...

ill_lil_romey
03-03-2003, 02:16 AM
lookin good rippin. I used to use sandpaper and then go straight to mothers. Then I figured out how to use a buffing attatchment and compounds. I still haven't mastered it, but im getting close.

03-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
dremel polishing sucks in my opinion. You can see the dremel pad width in the metal. Get yourself a larger polishing wheel that will fit onto a drill. The wider surface of that polishing wheel will not show irregularities on the metal. I simply put the wheel in the drill and clamp the drill into a vise....ghetto yet simple. I start sanding with a 220 grit then jump to a 600, then 1000, then 1500, then polish. You do not have to go in the same direction between papers. It is actually best to which directions between grits....this allows you to see if you have all the scratches out from the rougher grit.

yea ok dude....polishing a dremel sucks:huh lok at my motor mounts..those were done with first sanding....then i have a polishing kit for my dremel...i used te small wheel first....then the larger wheel..and then it came with a very very soft wheel for finish.....all you gotta do is use it right...;)

P.S i rolled my quad on a road and scratched my throttle cover..chippied it ect...this was done with only sanding it down and then the small polishing wheel from the dremel and mothers,notice all the scrathes and chunks missing from it

03-03-2003, 02:19 PM
then this was re-done today with what you see in the picture here....i put on a steel wool attachment..it made it smooth and grinded down slowly untill all the gouges were out...then i took a wire wheel attachment and made it smoother...then a plastic attachment for the finishing touches to it....then i went at it with the small wheel and mothers....then the large wheel that is not on the dremel with mothers..then the wheel on the dremel(it is a very soft cloth wheel) and then it was done

Str8Wicked
03-03-2003, 02:23 PM
I used the dremel for the first sanding. Than sanded by hand from there. After all the sanding I polished with the white compound with a bench mounted wheel polish.

muff
03-03-2003, 06:01 PM
sand paper, and tripoli and white rouge from www.eastwoodcompany.com

Str8Wicked
03-03-2003, 07:31 PM
I see muff!

03-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
I see muff! :huh

muff
03-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked