PDA

View Full Version : Looking at used 450s need help.

capecod400ex
02-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Whats up guys been out of the game for a while, looking at 450s now what is there to look out for and ect. I understand the 450 motors in the motorcross bikes are higher maintenance and require more frequent rebuilding than say the air cooled motor in my 400exs I've owned or the TTR I have. Is this the same motor thats in the TRX450s? Would say an 07 need a rebuild already? How much more is there to owning a 450 compared to owning say a 400ex?

thanks

01boneless
02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
the 04-05's had crank failers. there was a updated crank out that if still under warranty honda replaced them. but sadley you cant see if it has that unless the motor is tore apart.And the only thing extra you do on a 450 is check the coolant. and change the oil and tranny fluid every 2-2.5 hours. also one year 450r had tranny problems but i cant remember what year someone will chime in and tell u im sure

eastside 400
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
all 06+ bikes have weaker transmissions, i wouldn't call it a transmission problem, they are just weaker. Lots of guys that dont abuse the quad or race mx will never have a trans failure but if your rough on them they will start to break. They switch from a 4 dog setup on the 04-05 to a 3 dog on the newer bikes. The 04-05 had the crank failures but not all of them broke either. I personally never had that part of the crank fail, all the ones ive seen that failed were locked up big end bearings on the rod. the 06+ bikes wear valves faster because they use the Ti intakes. Just be sure to check it out the best you can before you buy, i always suggest taking out the oil filter and cut it open to look for shavings, just buy a new one so you have one to put back in the sellers quad, if he isnt hiding anything then he shouldnt mind

capecod400ex
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
So if I can buy a lightly ridden 05-07 that would be a good deal? god its hard not to buy another 400ex when I see them all tricked out for $2000 :confused: