PDA

View Full Version : Is the 450r carb good to install on my bike ?

mike123jr95
02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
I been wondering would it be better to put a 450r carb on my 416ex and if so why ?

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Its VERY good for a bored EX, The stock 38mm carb is ok but the extra 4mm you get from a 42mm 450r carb really wakes up a 400ex.

Its truely the best bang for the buck.

mike123jr95
02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Would it still run right ? Easy to adjust ?

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Ya its still a stock honda carb, not only will it run right it will run better, the throttle response and power gain alone is nice.

You have to jet it right to make this happen though.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
To tell you the truth man don't do it unless you like to have your gas tank and plastic not fit correctly and not be able to cold start < those r all the problems I have with mine... Remember you don't just get the carb and your done you have to use a 450r trottle cable, zrpilot adapter ( or hose that will leak) and some rvt selant and a drill.. I also can't get mine to cold start cuz I can't use the choke on the carb. Carb $40, trottle cable $20, zrpilot adapter $53= BIG disappointment.

mike123jr95
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
What's a other aftermarket carb I can just bolt on and not do anything besides re jet it and adjust it ?

Baileygunns
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Completely worth it... I just put one on my buddies bike. Bored 426, cam, full pipe, head porting... Made a night and day diffence. Better throttle responce and more power. I have another carb on the shelf for the 416 I'm building for my wife.

Move the top vent hose and you won't have any tank/plastic fit issues, jet it correctly and you will have no starting issues... We were ice racing last weekend. No choke needed.

$50 for the carb + $15 for the cable + free adapter = BEST upgrade so far.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by mike123jr95
What's a other aftermarket carb I can just bolt on and not do anything besides re jet it and adjust it ? I'm asking the exact same question??

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Completely worth it... I just put one on my buddies bike. Bored 426, cam, full pipe, head porting... Made a night and day diffence. Better throttle responce and more power. I have another carb on the shelf for the 416 I'm building for my wife.

Move the top vent hose and you won't have any tank/plastic fit issues, jet it correctly and you will have no starting issues... We were ice racing last weekend. No choke needed.

$50 for the carb + $15 for the cable + free adapter = BEST upgrade so far. Yeah guess what I moved the vent and the black side panel is pulled up just enough that it can't get to the bolt hole on the frame even after drilling the hole in the black side panel bigger. Also where do u get a free adapter?

01boneless
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
no other aftermarket carbs made just the 450r carb and fcr can be used on the ex. BOTH awsome and worth it once jetted right, shouldent even need the choke

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
no other aftermarket carbs made just the 450r carb and fcr can be used on the ex. BOTH awsome and worth it once jetted right, shouldent even need the choke FCR is like $500 right?

01boneless
02-14-2012, 04:11 PM
^maybe new. used can be found for 200-350 sometimes

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
^maybe new. used can be found for 200-350 sometimes Oh well thats still alot if I need a aftermarket carb i'll just run my 450r but it will need somemore work yet. I think that the carb I have has something wrong with it that I don't know about.

Pipeless416
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
To tell you the truth man don't do it unless you like to have your gas tank and plastic not fit correctly and not be able to cold start < those r all the problems I have with mine... Remember you don't just get the carb and your done you have to use a 450r trottle cable, zrpilot adapter ( or hose that will leak) and some rvt selant and a drill.. I also can't get mine to cold start cuz I can't use the choke on the carb. Carb $40, trottle cable $20, zrpilot adapter $53= BIG disappointment.

what year carb did you get? you're doing something wrong if its an 04-05 and your gas tank of plastics don't fit right. also, i spent $110 on mine and as far as power goes its the best 110 i have ever spent.

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Your obviously isnt jetted right:D

mike123jr95
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
An I better to buy a used one ? And do I have to switch gas tanks ?

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Buy used.

All I had to do to get mine to fit on my EX was plug the hotstart, remove the choke and use a 2in $4 rubber grommet from Home Depot or lowes, The drilling and screw thing isnt even nesescary you could take the hose off and shave it if you want, I just left mine the way it is.

It doesnt rub my tank.

You just have to jet it right after that.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
I've changed my jetting a few times but could never get it to cold start so I switched back. It is a 05 or 04 carb and the jetting is 180 main 52 pilot and I could get it to run the best like that but the idle is not smooth and when I let off on the gas and pull in the clutch it wants to stall out :confused:

joshcb7
02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Im looking at a used 03 400ex and i know (with me)the closer to stock i get the better.Does it make sense to use a 05 450 carb with a stock bore?Is everyone changing trottle cable and the zrpilot adapter?Some threads make it seem like an easy upgrade and others make it seem like a major project.Me being new to atv's and riding trails would i want this or is it more for the racers?

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
You dont need a zr adapter they look nice and are cool to have by people in this forum but in reality you only need a $4, 2in rubber grommet from lowes or home depot.

all I had to do to get a 450r carb to fit my 400ex was take off the choke lever, buy a 450r throttle cable and block off my hotstart, I used RTV instead of using the hotstart parts and my 440ex beats modded 450s in drag races.

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by joshcb7
Im looking at a used 03 400ex and i know (with me)the closer to stock i get the better.Does it make sense to use a 05 450 carb with a stock bore?Is everyone changing trottle cable and the zrpilot adapter?Some threads make it seem like an easy upgrade and others make it seem like a major project.Me being new to atv's and riding trails would i want this or is it more for the racers? The hard part may be to get it jeted right and to get your gas tank to fit on perfectly.

madmaxmodquad
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
what are the ups and downs of a 450 carb on a stock 400 with a k/n and a slipon exhaust if properly jetted will i see a benifit or should i just leave my stock carb alone until time to do engine mods? p.s havnt got the k/n or the slipon yet so any opinion on those would be great going to get a couple of pilots 40/42 and mains 150/155 this weekend in preperation of the intake and exhaust to come what setup would be most benificial for tourque trail riding is what i do most and i would love to have more torque in third i dont want to change gears until i need a chain [and im not interested in a slower first gear anyway] so i ride alot in second and it has good grunt but third just seems a little bogged and i find myself down gearing to pull when i just want to go a little quicker in third you know what im sayin? just lookin to boost my stock engine to its full potential [ps this thing rips for a stock quad it my first one ive ridden alot of fast stuff and i am fully pleased with my decision to go with the 400ex] seem a overall good fit fot me but who doesnt want more power?

chronicsmoke
02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I've changed my jetting a few times but could never get it to cold start so I switched back. It is a 05 or 04 carb and the jetting is 180 main 52 pilot and I could get it to run the best like that but the idle is not smooth and when I let off on the gas and pull in the clutch it wants to stall out :confused:

FWIW I'm running a 185 main 52 Pilot on my 450r.. @ 200ft above sealevel.

I think you're way rich..

JOHNDOE83
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Your not to rich unless it stutters "like a rev limiter" and wont gain any speed.

I use a 220 main jet in my 440 with a 450r carb, I do have valves and a cam and no airbox with straight headers no slip on. If I use a slipon Its still doesnt get rich enough to change jets.

Check the FAQ section on jetting at www.jetsrus.com

Pipeless416
02-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Your not to rich unless it stutters "like a rev limiter" and wont gain any speed.

you can be too rich and not experience those symptoms. if it stops pulling because of that, then you're WAY too rich.

madmaxmodquad
02-21-2012, 03:36 PM
anybody know solution to the question i asked?

JOHNDOE83
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by madmaxmodquad
anybody know solution to the question i asked?

Get a uni filter not a kn, there is only ups for 450r carbs no downs on any 400ex stock or modded.

Slipons are a whole other story, people will say one or the other is better but in my opinion "with experience" ALL slipons are the same, unless your getting a whole pipe buy what ever slipon fits your budget and style and it will be just as good as a high dollar slipon.

TheAwesomehonda
02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I will be working on using the 450r carb again in summer once I rebuild my 01 ex and get my foreman carb fixed. but i don't think its rich cuz it didn't run like it had a rev limiter and it was very strong but it didn't want to idle after being reved and it wont cold start. I'm using the stock carb for now but i've got 120 into that 450r carb so I will definitly try it again.

tri5ron
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
A stock 400EX = 26-27 whp.

A stock 400EX, (meaning stock piston, and cam), with a decent slip-on, Uni or K&N airfilter, +6 timing key,...
...and a '04-'05 450r carb, PROPERLY JETTED, (on a dyno), will give you 32-33 whp.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409169&perpage=10&pagenumber=5