PDA

View Full Version : Chain too tight?

J51S
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
I just installed a new carrier, sprockets, and chain. At first I cut one link off and it had a ton of slack. It looked like 2 would be perfect but the chains pretty tight.

I mean I did put it on by hand but its pretty tight. My question is do you think i'll be good and the chain will stretch a little and work its way in.

Balaz_73*00
02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Did you adjust it? roll the carrier all the way to the spot with the most slack. You may not be at that point?

J51S
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
^carrier is all the way loose, chain is as loose as it can be its just tight. I haven't ridden it yet. It does spin ok tho.

fastredrider44
02-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd ride it, accelerating hard, but not jumping it or anything for about 5 minutes. That's when it'll stretch the most, and maybe it will loosen up enough. If you go and start jumping it right off the bat, the chain being too tight could possibly break or damage the front sprocket and shaft, or eat your bearings up. I always roll the carrier and watch the brakestay slot to make sure it's adjusted all the way foward or all the way back.

D Bergstrom
02-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Is there any slack at all? In the middle of the chain between the sprocket, how much does it actually move? Also, where in the suspension travel is the quad sitting? The chain is the tightest when the front sprocket, pivot bolt, and rear sprocket are in a line. If you are above or below that point, and the chain is really tight, you won't like the outcome when everything does come into line.

Doug