PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone knowledgeable in DUI case's?

backwoodsracer
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I made a mistake as im sure we all do from time to time and was wondering if anyone knew where i could further educate my self To build my defense in a DUI and under age consumption case.

Thanks.

I am a North Carolina resident and i do plan on getting a lawyer.

honda250xrider
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I would not tackle something like this yourself. Get a lawyer; it may be quite a bit of money now but in the long run it could save you tremendously.

quad2xtreme
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
If you're from California, you don't need to do anything. All other states, I'd get a lawyer that specializes in DUI cases.

buck440
02-13-2012, 02:34 PM
just man up. dui charges are a joke imo.get pulled over blackout drunk one night and your out by the next day with a small fine. at most you could have a suspended licences for a few months, little fine and community service but less is likely to happen.

they always take it easy on first time offenders so enjoy it this time because they won't be so easy next time.

i wouldn't pay for a lawyer for something so minor. it's not like you'll loose your licences and get jail time. **** happens.

Flyin_250r
02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Major fines here in Ontario, Canada. Breathalizer to start your car and random intakes to keep it running ($1200 out of your own pocket)

Car impounded

License suspended for one year

Register and complete the "back on track" course, that also costs $1000+ I believe.

Not to mention... Your insurance puts you into the "high risk" category and youll be paying that for quite awhile. Upwards of $450-700 a month according to a few people I know that have received DUI's.

A cab ride is always cheaper....

quad2xtreme
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
my niece was a PA resident and got caught drinking when she was 18 at a party in the woods. She lost her license for a year and wasn't even driving...she didn't drive there and didn't even own a car. I'd be shocked if you didn't lose your license if you were actually driving while drinking underage.

Warnerade
02-13-2012, 03:02 PM
You will have plenty of time to educate yourself in the 3-6 day intervention...Don't waste your money on a lawyer...just plead guilty, accept what you did and do what you can to get it over with...a lawyer will just end up costing you money and won't have any real benefits

Scottt89
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
I got one here in MD back in 2008. I was 23 at the time. From my experience it is so standardized that I'm sorry to have wasted money on the lawyer. Unless you are in an accident or have special circumstances it is pretty cut and dry. All the lawyer does is expresses your plea and points out good things about you that you can say yourself. Make sure you inform the court of your steady employment status and education. Judges tend to look into history and character. Even if you have the exact same circumstances as someone else next to you, your job could be the difference in your sentence.

More than likely if you are underage you will probably lose your license for a while as well as a year or two of Probation before Judgement. I saw a post about PA, they are different. In PA underage alcohol possession is taken a lot more seriously even when driving isn't involved.

Do yourself a favor and look into local addiction groups/recovery centers, they cost around $500 usually for a once a week session for a month or two, but your initiative to understand your mistakes will look very good for the court. Usually they will just send you there anyway, so you might as well get a jump start on your sessions and look good in the process.

Tommy Warren
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Flyin_250r
Major fines here in Ontario, Canada. Breathalizer to start your car and random intakes to keep it running ($1200 out of your own pocket)

Car impounded

License suspended for one year

Register and complete the "back on track" course, that also costs $1000+ I believe.

Not to mention... Your insurance puts you into the "high risk" category and youll be paying that for quite awhile. Upwards of $450-700 a month according to a few people I know that have received DUI's.

A cab ride is always cheaper....

A guy I went to high school with has this system in his truck. ... he fills 5 or 6 balloons before he starts drinking and empties the balloons into the breathalyzer on his way hom:ermm:

KKiowaTJ
02-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Getting a lawyer is a waste of time and money. No matter how much money you throw at it, Your still walking for a year or whatever the term is in your state.

Go for a deferred judgment, You wont have to pay fines, No bull sht class's etc. They are a waste of time and money as well. See if your state has a deferred judgment and go that route. Only down side to it is you still have to walk, But no money wasted.

If you dont have any other alcohol charges, Go to court and tell them it was your first time drinking etc and play dumb, You have a better chance of walking out of it with no probation or community service.

Good luck either way

sly400ex
02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately I DO have a lot of experience with this.....first off, you have to tell us what state you live in and did you blow?

ben300
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
in PA, its a pretty serious offense even though it is a routine offense...

..if you live in PA, id say dont listen to most of these guys, get the lawyer, try and get ARD and all that jazz and try to get it expunged from your record...

...if your gonna go to school to be a cop, or a teacher, or some kind of governemtnal worker or a job like a truck driver or a linement where you hae to have your cdl........you can kiss those jobs completely good bye without the ARD in PA.....

...if you wanna be a grease munky or a mill hunky.....dont worry about it

wilkin250r
02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
This is the sort of thing that really varies state to state, and in some situations, even county to county. Some states have a no-tolerance policy, which severely limits your options. So getting advice on this forum is going to be a crap-shoot, because a lot of the advice and options might not apply to you.

However, the one aspect that ALL states seem to have in common is a crackdown on driving under the influence. There has been steadily less and less lenience in DUI cases. Lawyer or no, I think you're screwed. By all means, explore your options, but my gut reaction would tell you to save your money, and bite the bullet.

trx310R#24
02-14-2012, 07:38 AM
when they ask you to blow in the tube you i plead the 5th.... if you did blow in the tube.. you were drinking and driving case closed dont get a lawyer cuz you cant blow a .16 then go i plead not guilty... your just going to piss the judge off... lol but if you plead the 5th on the breathalyzer you can say whatever you want an get away with taking a dui class for 6 weeks... my dad did it a lot... so i know it works... :rolleyes:

trailrider894
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
PM'ed you about it, I hope I can help, my knowledge is mainly missouri and Federal Statutes, but I have access to the Statutes books for each state online.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Scottt89
I got one here in MD back in 2008. I was 23 at the time. From my experience it is so standardized that I'm sorry to have wasted money on the lawyer. Unless you are in an accident or have special circumstances it is pretty cut and dry. All the lawyer does is expresses your plea and points out good things about you that you can say yourself. Make sure you inform the court of your steady employment status and education. Judges tend to look into history and character. Even if you have the exact same circumstances as someone else next to you, your job could be the difference in your sentence.

More than likely if you are underage you will probably lose your license for a while as well as a year or two of Probation before Judgement. I saw a post about PA, they are different. In PA underage alcohol possession is taken a lot more seriously even when driving isn't involved.

Do yourself a favor and look into local addiction groups/recovery centers, they cost around $500 usually for a once a week session for a month or two, but your initiative to understand your mistakes will look very good for the court. Usually they will just send you there anyway, so you might as well get a jump start on your sessions and look good in the process.

^^SPOT ON
Get the public defender if you qualify.
In NJ its all about what your blood alcohol level is.
1st offense

Under 21 .0000000001 - .010 and you will get 3 months loss of lisence plus fines plus 1,000 a year for 3 years state surcharge

.011 - .015 = 6 months loss of lisence plus fines and surcharges

< .015 = 1 year loss of lisence plus fines & surcharges.

Chances are they will toss everything out but the DUI, so dont sweat the under age drinking or reckless driving charges (if you were cited).
I don't drink but my stupid 18 year old daughter was at a friends house sleeping and got pranked, she wanted to go home but still had alcohol in her system from the night before. she slammed her little honda civic into a parked work van, she is ok and luckily nobody else got hurt but this could have been a lot worse. Please think befroe you get behind the wheel, this decision impacts far more then just you the driver.

ben300
02-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
when they ask you to blow in the tube you i plead the 5th.... if you did blow in the tube.. you were drinking and driving case closed dont get a lawyer cuz you cant blow a .16 then go i plead not guilty... your just going to piss the judge off... lol but if you plead the 5th on the breathalyzer you can say whatever you want an get away with taking a dui class for 6 weeks... my dad did it a lot... so i know it works... :rolleyes:

i dont know where he lives..but in pa, a refusal to take a BAL test is an automatic admittence of guilt....

but then again, you guys probably can just pay off the cops over in your neck of hte woods there by ytown? isnt that like the standard over there?

OldGuyonaQuad
02-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ben300
i dont know where he lives..but in pa, a refusal to take a BAL test is an automatic admittence of guilt....

but then again, you guys probably can just pay off the cops over in your neck of hte woods there by ytown? isnt that like the standard over there?

Maybe on HBO series about the mob but not IRL.

I hold a family PBA card and it has gotten me out of several tickets but I have been told by several people invloved in law enforcement that you have a better chance of getting off for killing you mother then you do getting away with a DUI. Expunged from your record? gl with that one, not in these parts.

Scottt89
02-14-2012, 09:20 AM
In MD they separate the driving penalty from the legal penalty. So while I had to go to county court for the DUI tickets, I also had to go to a DMV Hearing for my license status.

I blew .139, The court gave me a PBJ with 18months probation and like 3 months supervised. So once a week I had to go to a PO for a few minutes. You also have to pay to be on Supervised probation.

Usually if you are .14 and up you automatically will have a blow and go for a while. My DMV hearing gave me 3months Home/Work driving only since I was under the .14. However I also had an on call steady job, so it helped.

If you are underage you will probably lose your license for a few months.

I feel like the main point of the 1st DUI is to serve as a wake-up call by attacking your wallet and your time. The second one will def land you a few weekend jail sessions minimum.

Exrider434
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Here in ny they initially give a dwi to underaged drinkers and drivers, no matter what they blow. Usually drop to a DUI with probation big fines loss of license except work and school for 1 year minimum. Usually have to complete a drinker driver program etc. It's become a slap on the wrist around here I know 10+ people who have gotten dwi's and it doesn't even phase them. Blows my mind.

Good luck sounds like PA is a bit more strict.

backwoodsracer
02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
PM'ed you about it, I hope I can help, my knowledge is mainly missouri and Federal Statutes, but I have access to the Statutes books for each state online.

I PM'D ya back! Any Help is Appreciated.

beastlywarrior
02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
in ohio you do 2 nights in jail

ben300
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
Here in ny they initially give a dwi to underaged drinkers and drivers, no matter what they blow. Usually drop to a DUI with probation big fines loss of license except work and school for 1 year minimum. Usually have to complete a drinker driver program etc. It's become a slap on the wrist around here I know 10+ people who have gotten dwi's and it doesn't even phase them. Blows my mind.

Good luck sounds like PA is a bit more strict.

pa, has some of the most strict vehicular laws of any state

Tommy Warren
02-14-2012, 01:16 PM
he is in north carolina...telling him your local state laws won't help him at all:rolleyes:

ben300
02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
he is in north carolina...telling him your local state laws won't help him at all:rolleyes:

didnt know where he was from....just trying to give him examples and help:rolleyes:

Duf6
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
in ohio you do 2 nights in jail I was sentenced to180 days in jail in medina county,but the girl in front of me at court got six months probation. She was 18 charged with drug possession, under age consumption, DUI and open container. She dressed cute and said she was real sorry. It was my first ticket cop followed me out of a bar, I blew a .09 and passed field sobriety test. Did only have to serve 10 days, still sucked ,real boring.

Tommy Warren
02-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ben300
didnt know where he was from....just trying to give him examples and help:rolleyes:

He said it on his first post....but whatever its none of my business:cool:

Lquad71
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM
run away to mexico-that problem will be solved! but beware of new problems may arise!

440racer66
02-15-2012, 12:21 AM
im from nc i would pay the lawyer its all money to them. if you dont you will look like you dont care and they will lock you up. spend the money feel that burn and learn.

sexysilverado45
02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
yeah, Ok that makes sense. Because people can not obey the laws and common decency I should run away. So I guess you belive it's unamerican to drive sober.

This just happend a few days ago. Thank God he hit a tree and not a family

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120209/NEWS/202090328

19 years old and is brain dead. But hey, at least he had a good time turning his brain into a pickle just before he turned it into mush.

Im not sure how you thought you were coming off, but thats a bit dis tasteful dont you think. If it was a family member of yours in that article im sure your choice of words may have been a bit different. It seems as though you think we humans are perfect? People make mistakes some greater than others.

ben300
02-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
Im not sure how you thought you were coming off, but thats a bit dis tasteful dont you think. If it was a family member of yours in that article im sure your choice of words may have been a bit different. It seems as though you think we humans are perfect? People make mistakes some greater than others.

i find that anti-alcohol/very religious people always come down the hardest on people who drink or have commited alcohol related offenses.....

truth is, this is probalby one of the most commonly occuring criminal offenses in our country today.....for example...erie,crawford, and mercer county PA, last put out a public announcement on the news, radio, and news papers that they were expecting to make 500+ dui arrests through out the holiday weekend....thats a ton of arrests..

i personally, have had 7 close friends get DUI's....2 of them were driving obliterated drunk, and the other 5 were just barely over the legal limit..

my best friend should have two. the first time he was obliterated drunk and ran a red light with a bunch of my friends in the car......the second time he rolled a jeep, got out and ran..... heed these words...HE LAWYERED UP, at the recommendation of my dad who is a retired PA state trooper....and got out of the DUI and the fleeing the seen, but had to pay about $2000 in fines...he has since quit drinking and does nothing but work overtime...

...its not something to support or commend someone for doing, but its also not something to act like they're raping children or something.....just show support and help them to make the right choice next time...

oh, and if your so scared of being on the road with drunks....id probably not drive anymore...id say that probably after 11pm, 50% if not more of ppl on the road are ****ed out fo their mind on something

Lquad71
02-15-2012, 08:09 AM
yeah, Ok that makes sense. Because people can not obey the laws and common decency I should run away. So I guess you belive it's unamerican to drive sober.

This just happend a few days ago. Thank God he hit a tree and not a family

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120209/NEWS/202090328

19 years old and is brain dead. But hey, at least he had a good time turning his brain into a pickle just before he turned it into mush.
It was a joke....................:ermm:

KKiowaTJ
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
You have no idea my background or what I know. But, you are right, I do not drink nor Have I ever. I have seen enough alcoholisim in my life to know nothing good comes from it. My father was a alcoholic and I have spent more time in a car with someone under the influence then most of you combined. In fact, you can add just about ever male on my fathers side of the family to that list. My father was also a fireman and I can't even begin to tell you how many people he scrapped off the road because of DWI's. many of them were the innocent victims of someone elses drinking. I also can not even count how many people I have known over the years who killed themselves from drinking and driving. But, I do know it's way to many. I also do not have one ounce of sympathy for them. I know one guy who drove off an embankment, crashed, was pinned in the car and bleed to death because it was a back country road and no one found him till the morning. You know what I say...good...he was a danger on the road and almost killed many people with his stupididty includng myself. Just weeks before he died he hit us head on. Both vehicles were totaled, my friend who was driving has a permanent hand injury. I was lucky to get away unharmed. 3 other friends hit a tree head on at 100+ mph after a night of drinking and one was folded in half with his legs wrapped around his head. another had is eye hanging out. Sympathy for them...nope I called them all dumb asses. Two other friends (brothers) were also killed in a car I was supposed to be in. thankfully I chose not to go. They died when there car flipped of a highway bridge, landed upside down and burst into flames. The crash did not kill them but, burning alive did. I could go on for another hour or so with people I know. I hope you get the point though!!!

And that is a sad situation.

tell that to to innocent peoples family and children killed by drunk drivers. You ever go to a funeral for a 4 year old who was so violently killed by a drunk driver that they had to have a closed casket.

You do make a good point about helping people make the right decision, and that is why I posted in here. go back and look at all the post beforehand and tell me how many people suggested he not drink and drive :rolleyes: all I read was how to beat the system and get out of it.

Thats sad but probably true...and again the attitude that I should stay off the road so the drunks can have it...is just a sad statement for our society. What I really find amazing is how many people are so weak minded that they let alcohol control them and how selfish they are about it.

Boo Whoo.... People die everyday from something. If you were such good "friends" with these said people, Why didn't you take the keys? Or block the drive? Stand up for what you can sit behind a computer screen and preach!

You sound like a reformed whore who is all butt hurt because a person might be able to get around this situation, Too ****ing bad.
Violently killed? Did they put it in reverse and run them over again to make sure they were dead? To me thats violent, But people like you love to blow things out of proportion.

I dont see you *****ing about all the HS kids texting and driving, That kill the same if not more a year than a drunk driver. But i did see you mentioned a bunch of idiots going 100+mph, To go that fast sober takes skill and reaction time, Sounds like a bunch of dumb ****s that grew up around and learned from high and mighty dumb ****s.

Sorry, But people die all the time, Everyday. Its not going to stop, When your ticket is up, There is no changing it drunk, Sober, Buzz, High etc your still gonna die. You cant change the inevitable or even delay it.
The reason the numbers of DUI's have went up and keep going up, Is because we have more and more people getting a license and starting to drive.

I too come from a family full of alcoholism and i dont drink, Have a few times in my life but haven't for years. Dont care for it myself, I too have seen first hand what it can do.

To each their own, But its not going to stop and it never will

Warnerade
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Here are some FACTS for you. Maybe you should do some research before you act like you know what your talking about

Texting/cell phone while driving related deaths per year 7,000.

Each year approximately 16,000 are killed in alcohol related crashes.

One person is killed every half-hour due to drunk driving.

Alcohol is a factor in almost half of all traffic fatalities.

Every other minute a person is seriously injured in an alcohol related crash. Dude who are you trying to impress? I didn't even bother to read anything you posted, or anything that was in reply to you...but this kid asked for advice on what to do about a problem he has...not to be lectured by a narcissist with a god complex...save that **** for your weekly MADD meetings (I'm assuming you're actually a female)...this kid is going to hear enough statistical garble alone with plenty of examples of exactly what you originally posted. Give it a rest.

Warnerade
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
See ya

honda250xrider
02-15-2012, 07:24 PM
[i] I have seen it ruin to many lives and this sport. [/B]

I would say give him the benefit of the doubt. He has accepted the fact that he has made a mistake. He will indeed be hearing about it from others.

He wanted to seek advice, In which I truly do not believe anyone-anyone on this site is qualified to give. This is why it is in his best interest to contact a lawyer.

You stated "I have seen it ruin to many lives and this sport" to this I can also attest, but I will also say it has caused people to lose out on there lives because they have been convicted of a DUI.

You are looked down upon if you receive a DUI, in which I can tell that you would judge him differently if you were to hire him as an employee. Just think one mistake can cause detrimental effects for him; even though he has learned from the mistake and very well may not take part in drinking and driving again.

trx310R#24
02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
Dude who are you trying to impress? I didn't even bother to read anything you posted, or anything that was in reply to you...but this kid asked for advice on what to do about a problem he has...not to be lectured by a narcissist with a god complex...save that **** for your weekly MADD meetings (I'm assuming you're actually a female)...this kid is going to hear enough statistical garble alone with plenty of examples of exactly what you originally posted. Give it a rest.

:devil: haha

KKiowaTJ
02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
So, I say this to you. tell me were you live. I will go your area with a fully automatic rifle and just start spraying bullets everywhere. And hey, if i kill a few people, so what people die everyday. I did not mean to kill anybody I was just having some fun.

I live in Farmington Iowa, 52626. If your feeling "badass" come on over, Your chances of making it back are slim to none and slim left town buddy....

If you hurry, You might beat the intoxicated drivers that are on the roads.

7K die from phone/text, Funny thing is, How many actually admitted to it? Only 7K, You can always make up a story etc to avoid this as there is no proof otherwise unless you ran over a box of puppy's and stopped on a troop of girl scouts.

16K drunks, They didnt have a choice, You can smell them, See it and or blood, Breath or urine dont lie. If they caused a wreck, What do you think the first thing they check for is? If alcohol was involved.

wilkin250r
02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
What is really sad is how many of you have experiance with this. Nice to know I share the road with a bunch of drunk drivers

I can't belive the mods even allow this crap.

We allow this crap because it's peaceful. Until you got here with your sermon, there was no conflict. A lot of these people have experience because of fathers, uncles, sisters, brothers, and friends. Not everybody posting here with advice is a drunk.

trailrider894
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
We allow this crap because it's peaceful. Until you got here with your sermon, there was no conflict. A lot of these people have experience because of fathers, uncles, sisters, brothers, and friends. Not everybody posting here with advice is a drunk. Thank you!!!! We are all trying to help a brother out... I am a reserve police officer and an MP in the United States Army... Yes, what he did was wrong, thankfully from what i understand this wasn't a felony charge so he will keep his rights and still be marketable for most jobs.

Its not right to get on here and accuse everyone of being drunk. I've seen the dirtiest parts of our nation, what most would call the scum, ghetto, trailer trash, wood hippies.... or whatever..... and believe me, a bunch of drunks should be the least of your worries.

He will hopefully learn his lesson, I advised him already via PM on what he should do. What you guys have to understand, is that all of his charges will stick, they won't get dropped. He blew almost twice the legal limit and breathalyzers don't lie. He deserves every ticket and charge he is getting, BUT a good lawyer might help get some of them lessened, and maybe get some alternative sentencing or community service options going for him. I don't think NC has a community service program that will drop your first charge like FL but you never know!!! Judges fall for some crazy stuff...

JUST REMEMBER!!! That what you do now, at your age... Could make or break the rest of your life... If you can't pay the time, don't do the crime.

TGW_400ex
02-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
We allow this crap because it's peaceful. Until you got here with your sermon, there was no conflict. A lot of these people have experience because of fathers, uncles, sisters, brothers, and friends. Not everybody posting here with advice is a drunk.

Exactly, plus just because you got one doesn't mean your an alcoholic you only have to drink one time to be capable of getting one.

chronicsmoke
02-16-2012, 12:06 PM
My brother is a borderline alcoholic and had 2 DUI's to show for it (currently fighting one in court)

GET A LAWYER! They may be able to find a loophole..

for example; My brother got into an accident (totalled a car on a curved side road, almost hit 2 people.. thank god..)

The cop that served him was harrassing him to get answers and a breathalizer while the paramedics said that he isn't capable of answering questions (he was KO'd for 2 hours). But the cop asked questions and took the breath sample anyway.

SO, the cop gets charged in another case for assault/battery against a civillian. Which means my brother has a VERY good chance on getting his charges dropped.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve whatever he gets, but if he gets off without jail time, hefty insurance, fines then it's good for him. He hasn't drove while impaired since and has his alcohol intake at a controllable level.

Moral of the story: Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?

trailrider894
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke

GET A LAWYER! They may be able to find a loophole..

that is what i suggested, you just have to be so careful with the cheaper traffic law centers, because they will take you for everything you've got!!

buck440
02-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Pappy
02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I just handed a drunk driver to our sheriffs on a silver platter...they did NOTHING..ZERO-Zip Nada.

ben300
02-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I just handed a drunk driver to our sheriffs on a silver platter...they did NOTHING..ZERO-Zip Nada.

basically how it is here in PA...sheriffs dept basically only hands out warrants and take people to jail...

Pappy
02-16-2012, 06:59 PM
No use for drunks, even less if they are behind the wheel. There is no excuse for it, the laws are not new, common sense is not new. This isn't an issue that rates discussion beyond you deserve to get thrown under the bus if you drink & drive period. There should be no leniency...none period.

I've seen first hand peoples lives absolutely destroyed due to someone who just had to drive while impaired...alcohol and other drugs. I've held people I knew while they died, had to watch their family show up on scene and saw and heard their agony. And for what..... absolutely nothing. Such a waste.

God help any drunk who harms me or my family.

trailrider894
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
God help any drunk who harms me or my family.

I volunteer as a security/police officer in my hometown where they have a big festival involving TONS of alchohol... Turns out a guy left their drunk and hit a car and killed the women and her 3 kids who were in the vehicle. The drunk survived... But the father/husband of the kids and women who died made it to the E.R. before the Drunk Driver did... He shot the guy with a 357. Mag and then committed suicide. It was a rough night for all of us...

chronicsmoke
02-17-2012, 05:49 AM
I volunteer as a security/police officer in my hometown where they have a big festival involving TONS of alchohol... Turns out a guy left their drunk and hit a car and killed the women and her 3 kids who were in the vehicle. The drunk survived... But the father/husband of the kids and women who died made it to the E.R. before the Drunk Driver did... He shot the guy with a 357. Mag and then committed suicide. It was a rough night for all of us...

wow.. :(

trailrider894
02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
wow.. :(

Yeah, people do crazy things... But I don't blame the guy... I probably would have done the same thing.

chronicsmoke
02-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Yeah, people do crazy things... But I don't blame the guy... I probably would have done the same thing.

For sure.. I was looking at it from the family man's perspective.. That qualifies as losing everything

backwoodsracer
02-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Exactly, plus just because you got one doesn't mean your an alcoholic you only have to drink one time to be capable of getting one.

THANK YOU!

JForestZ34
02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Well I will say this. EVERY state is cracking down on DWI/DUI cases nationwide.

When he goes to court with or without lawyer they will throw the book at him because they are trying to discourage this kind of stuff, so every case they get they will make an example out of.

After his day in court I'm sure he will learn his lesson, because he will be asking mom for rides plus his wallet will be a lot cheaper. If he has to pay the surcharges to the state PLUS have to pay points to his insurance company he will be forking over a lot of cash for something he could have prevented.

And trx310r#24, I don't know how recent your father has done this but I do know in EVERY state a refusal to a breathalizer is an automatic guilty plea and loss of license, so I WOULD HIGHLY recommend the OP or anyone try this stunt. This is a pure stupidity thinking this would fly.

If you are convicted of a NC DWI it will result in twelve (12) insurance points. This corresponds to a four hundred (400) percent surcharge to your NC insurance. There is a fine line of DWI/DUI so I don't know if this will affect his case but if he falls into this catagory looks like he will be paying a fortune..

James

Tommy Warren
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex

so your saying ONLY the second or third time that they drive drunk is when they hit and kill a bunch of children :huh

KKiowaTJ
02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
In Iowa if you refuse, Its automatic 1 year no licenses. But thats fine with me, They cant write the ticket for DUI. I just loose loss of driving for a year and no fines to pay but to get my licenses reinstated. Total of $450 ballpark and nothing on insurance or driving record. Thats a good loop hole to use, All you did was refuse a test, The rest is a moot point as they cant prove you were drinking so it falls under loss of privileges.

JForestZ34
02-26-2012, 03:30 PM
You do know that when you do decide to refuse they do put DUI breathalyzer refusal on your record so it shows up that you refused to blow for a DUI stop. Looks just as bad either way.

And I doubt if you do a refusal you walk away with just a few fines. A refusal is just the same as pleading guilty.

James

KKiowaTJ
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
You do know that when you do decide to refuse they do put DUI breathalyzer refusal on your record so it shows up that you refused to blow for a DUI stop. Looks just as bad either way.

And I doubt if you do a refusal you walk away with just a few fines. A refusal is just the same as pleading guilty.

James

It will not show DUI refusel just obstruction and interference, Both misdemeanors. They are not moving violations. Insurance has no reason or right to conflict anything after said licenses is reinstated. What "high risk" pool will they put you in? Any will get them sued as its called defamation of character if your not a drunk.

But it also works both ways. What if a loud mouth person who isn't drunk or had a drink, Gets high and mighty and tells them no he still looses his licenses for a year. How can they say DUI?

There is no way they can add fines to whats already set. You refused and only the laws of that apply unless your dumb enough to blow after you have already said no. If you say no and **** off, Keep your mouth shut, There is nothing more that can pad the minimal fines. Guilty or not it dont matter, You loose instantly and they can not brand you a drunk etc or its their ***.

JForestZ34
02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok I was wrong about that. I was misinformed. But if you refuse it's automatic loss of license no matter how your DUI case went. I know he's in NC but here in nj that's how it works and it most states it works the same way.

James