PDA

View Full Version : Best mods for my 400ex

04 YeLlOw 400eX
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm looking for the best mods that I can do to my ex.
I got it about a month ago and was what I could do to make it better.
Like what is the best pipe out there.

I don't want to do any big motor mods like cams or boring it over.

Thanks.:)

mike123jr95
02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I would get a rev box like dynatech or white bros . Then a header and pipe I prefer megabomb header and titanium 4 pipe fmf .

dxcody
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Lots of debate over if a rev box really does anything on a 400ex or not, but im not going to start another one on here.

Pipe + air filter +jet.

Pipe, HMF or FMF w/ powerbomb header is great combo.
Air filter. UNI is what i run usually but any foam filter is good. GT thunder actually says they use the stock foam filter alot of times.
Check out the classifieds on here and you could find a nice full exhaust for somewhat cheap probably. Thats where i bought mine.

Timing key would probably do you good. Since you dont want to tear into the motor, a sparks timing key will increase your throttle response a little and make it more "snappy" but involves pulling the left case cover off and the flywheel but its pretty simple.

Pipe + jetting will make your ride feel alot better. The power is different when you can actually hear it.

Drfat400ex
02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Theres a million threads on the best pipe, you will find no real awnser. I run pro-circut, I love it and it was only $1 more than a powercore 4 and honestly I think it's well worth the extra dollar. FMF can sometimes be good as they are pretty good quality for a fairly low price, if you can get your hands on an HMF, get one of them, get a UNI air filter, remove or modify your airbox lid, and jet accordingly.

mike123jr95
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Uni air filter too

D3structive
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
For a totally stock ex I would start with a uni-filter, no airbox lid, a slip on exhaust that works with the stock header, grind the inside welds on the stock header and increase your jet size to compensate. you will have noticeably more power

PrideRider
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
if your looking for a gain in power the best way to do this is full exhaust,a good air filter and right jetting...maybe a stage 1 or 2 hotcam. Pro Circuit is a great system for the money, i have use this system before and liked very much! White Bros is another good pipe as well. just depends on what you wanna spend if you can get a good used full exhaust system for a good price do it...slip on wont make much difference.

Rohr397
02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
My favorite pipe is the Motoworks, it doesn't cost much and it's great. Don't waste your money on a full pipe, the design of the 400ex header really can't be improved. Instead take it off and grind out the extra metal welds on the inside of the ends that attach to the engine.

Next thing would be to open up the airbox one way or another. There are plenty of ways to do this and just about any way will work.

The do some jetting and you'll be off to a good start.

Once you've done this there are plenty more options but this is a good place to start.

Also, a sparks timing key will do you much more good then a rev box for a much smaller price.

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
MOTOWORKS is the best pipe on the market IMO. Uni filer, jetted right and sparks key. Sparks rev limiter works great with a high compression motor.. Grind the welds out of the stock header and it will be the same as aftermarket. That's what mine had before I built it... Ran great!

JOHNDOE83
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
The best pipe is simple, which ever one has the most direct flow and less restrictive, In reality if your wanting the most power completely remove your slipon and rejett to run only headers, but no one other then us drag racers want that.

So the best pipe is really the most cost effective with the most flow, which they are all generally the same, a curtis sparks exhaust has and will be beatin by a fmf exhaust in certain situations.

If your not wanting to do bores and cams then a pipe shouldnt really be that big of a deal either.

Any cosmetic or cooling mod "other then a spal fan" is a waste of time even if you have a 440 big bore, I would only take cooling mods into effect if you were building a high compression stroker. Cosmetic stuff like bling doesnt do anything other then make it look good.

You need to be more descriptive in what you do to ride really, if you MX nerfs and shocks are good mods, if you race TT or XC they are a good idea to, but if you do that stuff you also need big bores and cams.

If your just a trail rider and a wheelie popper, I would get some nice tires, sprokets and maybe a slipon and call it a day.

The best mods for EXs are cams, carbs, bores, Valves, jetting, timing keys, pipes, bars, nerfs, shocks and spal fans.

If you wanna keep it simple and have a decent ride Id get 450r shocks, 450r carb, timing key, a decent slipon and let it ride.

But we all know that as soon as you mod it once, it NEVER ends, I got my ex and said its staying just like this forever! now its had every mod possible done to it and is only a stock EX chassis and subframe from a 400ex, EVERYTHING else is custom or aftermarket.

IMO, This was a odd question to begin with?

What is it exactly your trying to do? Are you just wanting to learn what the best or most cost effective mods are?

HondaRacing83
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Some of the Information these people try and feed you never see to amaze me.. cody drfat rohr and quadman good job.
Heres the basics-
A header pipe is 110% POINTLESS unless you have some serious motorwork. Grinding the welds on the inside will do you good. A slip on will add some spunk to your 400. Like Rohr said, that Motoworks is incredible. It's 209.99 and really really nice. Don't get the Dg, Cobra, or Phoenix crap. Lexx Mxe can be made a nice pipe. But that Motoworks is honestly an incredible pipe, Rohr steered me in the direction of motoworks and i honestly love mine. Put a Uni Filter and Motoworks slip on and it deff added some power. Seriously, Motoworks is what they run on 99.9% on race quads to. Bu there are other nice pipes out there. Pro Circuit, FMF, HMF, are all nice.

JOHNDOE83
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Some of the Information these people try and feed you never see to amaze me.. cody drfat rohr and quadman good job.
Heres the basics-
A header pipe is 110% POINTLESS unless you have some serious motorwork. Grinding the welds on the inside will do you good. A slip on will add some spunk to your 400. Like Rohr said, that Motoworks is incredible. It's 209.99 and really really nice. Don't get the Dg, Cobra, or Phoenix crap. Lexx Mxe can be made a nice pipe. But that Motoworks is honestly an incredible pipe, Rohr steered me in the direction of motoworks and i honestly love mine. Put a Uni Filter and Motoworks slip on and it deff added some power. Seriously, Motoworks is what they run on 99.9% on race quads to. Bu there are other nice pipes out there. Pro Circuit, FMF, HMF, are all nice.

I didnt give any bad advice :chinese:

TheAwesomehonda
02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
HMF comp series full system exhaust is the best for anyone who wants a exhaust that can be from 90db (like for trail riding or hunting) to about 105 db (for at the track and racing) with the different end caps you can control the sound very well.. Also always use K&N air filter with the pre filter its the BEST......

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I do like the hmf pipe but you seem to be the only guy around that swears by k&n... I don't like them anymore since i rebuilt my motor... Changed right to UNI

Rohr397
02-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Pretty much any air filter mod will help though and I doubt anyone can really tell the difference.

I do like my K&N but it's not made for a 400ex, it's about a quarter of the size of the normal filters in length and it's chromed out. I wouldn't run it without an airbox and cover though. I think that taking the airbox lid off makes much more of a difference then the type of aftermarket filter but whatevs.

What does help is an intake, but I haven't seen any for 400ex's. From the looks of it there's not much that can be done to the stock intake to improve flow. Those Fuel Customs intakes release the beast in the 450's!

TheAwesomehonda
02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
I do like the hmf pipe but you seem to be the only guy around that swears by k&n... I don't like them anymore since i rebuilt my motor... Changed right to UNI IKR everyone on this forum hates K&N they think it will ruin there motor but I've got my K&N on and i've got 160 hours on my stock motor and never a problem with the motor or head or valves... take that K&N haters!!!! lol

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
I race a k&n for a year it was fine but I was talking to a guy who's an engine geek and made me realize this... The k&n restricts more airflow than the UNI. The k&n has a lot more metal on both the front and back of the UNI.. There fore the UNI gets that little bit more airflow than the UNI.. And the UNI foam catches much more dirt and sand than a paper filter.. Just my opinion and giving ya something to think about that makes sense!

Drfat400ex
02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Myn had a K&N when I bought it and I have yet to change it, if you take it off and hold it up to light even with the prefilter you can see light, which means it can let dust, mud and water in. Soon switching to UNI you can't see anything through the one on my 300ex.

SMK Motorsports
02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
I think its funny how everyone swears by HMF pipes (slipons at that), but honestly people.. really? I love my Big Gun Evo full system. And yes, you can improve on the stock header design, like Big Gun does and relocate the clutch cable from the middle of them.. good way to run through some cables there. And sure, as far as full systems go, BG may be a little more expensive, but whats the difference in 20 bucks when you're fixing to drop $600 into the thing either way..

I love the way mine sounds, especially on the starting line next to an HMF :devil:

Heres a video of mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhHuWO1F8o&context=C367a16cADOEgsToPDskIxI77dvGwz3A1q5DQEFHz0 )

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I love my MOTOWORKS..the big gun sounds great but modded headers and a $200 dollar exhaust compared to $600.. Come on.. But hey if you got the $$ then spend it

Rohr397
02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I love my MOTOWORKS..the big gun sounds great but modded headers and a $200 dollar exhaust compared to $600.. Come on.. But hey if you got the $$ then spend it

Exactly, spend it on a cam and some other awesome stuff :D

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Yeah haha. Rohr has an awesome bike.. I've look at your YouTube videos a lot while rebuilding mine lol. Got a lot of the same stuff

Rohr397
02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks! Haha I got that thing for a steal! The last guy had no idea what it was worth >:P

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Hahaha must be nice.. I picked mine up about 4 years ago and it's an 04 for 2800 and now you can barely get 1500 for em:eek2: won't ever think about selling the best machine made by Honda lol

Rohr397
02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Haha yeah I know what you mean, I got mine for $2000 and if I can hold onto it for awhile maybe it will be like the 250r and start gaining value as long as it's in good condition! But either way, I'm keeping it till I have enough to buy a brand new bike and when I do it will be whenever Honda's latest and greatest comes out, until then the 400ex is my main machine, it's a keeper and it's reliable unlike the others.

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Exactly! I plan on buying my buddies ORIGINAL 250r off of him in the next few years so then I have the two old school best bikes from Honda. And I race my 400 and honestly wouldn't want a 450.. I love the 400 for XC. There's no need for that high of gearing for xc lol

SMK Motorsports
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM

yeah, for most people going on the cost effective side, i see your point. but i wanted a complete system, just to eliminate the stock exhaust all together. and when i get parts at cost from tucker rocky it helps out quite a bit.

Rohr397
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah for MX and desert it's different but the 400ex does them perfectly fine. I love the 450's and 525 :) but I love my 400ex too much to let it go.

dxcody
02-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Wanna know why i dislike K&N?

Its like $60 for the filter, and pre filter (which i always heard was a must when running k&n) when you could buy a UNI for like $30 that does the same thing and you dont have to worry about thin dust getting through the filter.

Im deff not saying they are bad. Because they arent, they are just overpriced and too much maintainence for me. I like the idea of dawn dish soap and a good scrubbing every few rides and a UNI NEVER goes bad.

I used to run one, and i never had any problems what so ever, but most of my riding is during the dry months of the summer and i dont like the risk of possible dirt getting by.

Motoworks- I am actually wanting to buy a motoworks pipe for my Z. I have liked it ever since i saw McGill was running one on his Can Am last year and 2010.

I like FMF though just because i have owned a few FMF's that really were awesome. But yea your right, it saves your $50 (per slip on) to buy motoworks vs HMF and like $60 vs FMF.

I have nothing against any brand for the most part, i will try about anything once. Maybe even twice. And Honestly nothing a have ever bought has really went on my "Never Buy Again" list. With the exception of one of those colored chains off ebay. Trust me, 1 ride and its stretched pretty good. 2 rides is on the edge, 3 rides and its breaking on you.

cheater13
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Exhaust, filter,450r carb, 450r shocks.

I have the fmf titanium 4 with a powerbomb header and it is pretty nice besides the dent and a little crack ontop(which i am probably losing power).

I got rid of my k@n air filter and powerlid and i'm only running a UNI foam filter.

Now i'm thinking of going with either the 416 or 426 bore kit....

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SMK Motorsports
I think its funny how everyone swears by HMF pipes (slipons at that), but honestly people.. really? I love my Big Gun Evo full system. And yes, you can improve on the stock header design, like Big Gun does and relocate the clutch cable from the middle of them.. good way to run through some cables there. And sure, as far as full systems go, BG may be a little more expensive, but whats the difference in 20 bucks when you're fixing to drop $600 into the thing either way..

I love the way mine sounds, especially on the starting line next to an HMF :devil:

Heres a video of mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhHuWO1F8o&context=C367a16cADOEgsToPDskIxI77dvGwz3A1q5DQEFHz0 ) That sounds alot like HMF comp series man.. what did u pay for the full system its probobly not cheaper then 516.00 for the hmf.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Wanna know why i dislike K&N?

Its like $60 for the filter, and pre filter (which i always heard was a must when running k&n) when you could buy a UNI for like $30 that does the same thing and you dont have to worry about thin dust getting through the filter.

Im deff not saying they are bad. Because they arent, they are just overpriced and too much maintainence for me. I like the idea of dawn dish soap and a good scrubbing every few rides and a UNI NEVER goes bad.

I used to run one, and i never had any problems what so ever, but most of my riding is during the dry months of the summer and i dont like the risk of possible dirt getting by.

Motoworks- I am actually wanting to buy a motoworks pipe for my Z. I have liked it ever since i saw McGill was running one on his Can Am last year and 2010.

I like FMF though just because i have owned a few FMF's that really were awesome. But yea your right, it saves your $50 (per slip on) to buy motoworks vs HMF and like $60 vs FMF.

I have nothing against any brand for the most part, i will try about anything once. Maybe even twice. And Honestly nothing a have ever bought has really went on my "Never Buy Again" list. With the exception of one of those colored chains off ebay. Trust me, 1 ride and its stretched pretty good. 2 rides is on the edge, 3 rides and its breaking on you. Your right I pay alot for K&N but i've gone 70 hours between cleaning to joke and it was dirty but that means its catching the dirt.:p

04 YeLlOw 400eX
02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Lots of debate over if a rev box really does anything on a 400ex or not, but im not going to start another one on here.

Pipe + air filter +jet.

Pipe, HMF or FMF w/ powerbomb header is great combo.
Air filter. UNI is what i run usually but any foam filter is good. GT thunder actually says they use the stock foam filter alot of times.
Check out the classifieds on here and you could find a nice full exhaust for somewhat cheap probably. Thats where i bought mine.

Timing key would probably do you good. Since you dont want to tear into the motor, a sparks timing key will increase your throttle response a little and make it more "snappy" but involves pulling the left case cover off and the flywheel but its pretty simple.

Pipe + jetting will make your ride feel alot better. The power is different when you can actually hear it.

Thanks every one for replying I think I'm gonna start with a
Uni filter
Slip on pipe like dg, hmf or fmf
And maybe a big gun rev box

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2012, 02:03 PM
As far as REV boxes go, Ive tested lots of them on my EX, the best one by far without using the DYNA programmable is the white bros rev box.

A rev box isnt that great unless you are trying to squeez every ounce of power out of a EX, but like I said out of all the white bros is best.

HondaRacing83
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Never got to finish my post..
I honestly would not suggest any megacone style muffler in general. I guess these new DG R.A.C.E deals are good pipes for someone on a budget but for the money just go motoworks, has a spark arrestor. Exactly as stated, if you are trail riding DO NOT get a K&N. Uni, Twin Air, CSR, Moose are all good filters. Any Foam filter really. To be honest I don't know why people praise HMF. I've only seen them make one pipe that sounded amazing and that was for the renegade and outlander. But the Two Bros sounded better. I'm not a fan of HMF at all. They don't sound good to me and don't even look good unless its the Ironman. As people have said before, pointless to get an aftermarket header. I've seen "TheAwesomehonda" say on here before "well my header stays a nice color" Your really gonna drop money like that into a header for that reason? Take a wirebrush and some WD-40 or degreaser and itll make that headpipe look like an aftermarket. Rev Boxes dont do much just get a CSR +6 timing key.

dxcody
02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
. Rev Boxes dont do much just get a CSR +6 timing key.

x2 save the $50 youll spend on a rev box and buy a $20 timing key.

$20 key+$10 flywheel puller +$209 motoworks slip on and youll be happier with your ride and will have only spent Around $250 (with the cost of jets)

Just remember you have to take out the key (if you decide to buy one) later on if you are going to bump up the compression 11:1+

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
x2 save the $50 youll spend on a rev box and buy a $20 timing key.

$20 key+$10 flywheel puller +$209 motoworks slip on and youll be happier with your ride and will have only spent Around $250 (with the cost of jets)

Just remember you have to take out the key (if you decide to buy one) later on if you are going to bump up the compression 11:1+

x2 this, other than the UNI, the setup you listed was not good at all. DG and HMF are not good quality and a rev box will get you nowhere without a built motor.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
x2 this, other than the UNI, the setup you listed was not good at all. DG and HMF are not good quality and a rev box will get you nowhere without a built motor. WTF!!!!!!!!! How in hell can u say that HMF is bad quality???? Thats like saying elka or houser is bad quality...

HondaRacing83
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
x2 this, other than the UNI, the setup you listed was not good at all. DG and HMF are not good quality and a rev box will get you nowhere without a built motor. Exactly what I've been trying to say. Some people will actually argue Elka isn't good quality. But I have no experience with Elka. Shoulda used a better example like Walsh and Axis

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Exactly what I've been trying to say. Some people will actually argue Elka isn't good quality. But I have no experience with Elka. Shoulda used a better example like Walsh and Axis So r u saying that HMF is bad quality or it isn't?

01boneless
02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
a motoworks slip on,UNI filter (if u hate your valve seats run K&N)and the +6 timing key will get you a noticeable amount of power.

quadmanw
02-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I love MOTOWORKS but HMF is deft not bad quality by any means...

dxcody
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
I love MOTOWORKS but HMF is deft not bad quality by any means...

I personally have never once heard a complaint about HMF's coming unpacked or anything.

Dont really understand how they are "poor quality" but whatever, your opinion is your opinion rohr.

quadmanw
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Lol i don't argue stupid chit but thats a ridiculous statement

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Might just be me but I've never seen an HMF around here that isn't in bad shape, usually rusted midpipe, faded out and missing rivets. All fixable but not what I expect from a pipe.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Oh so cuz you had a chit pipe on your quad that you though was an HMF now you think all hmf is broken or braking.. hahahha I'm sorry but everyone that thinks hmf is bad quality is WRONG

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Oh so cuz you had a chit pipe on your quad that you though was an HMF now you think all hmf is broken or braking.. hahahha I'm sorry but everyone that thinks hmf is bad quality is WRONG

No I know I had a Pro Circuit pipe I was able to match the old Pro Circuit badge up to the holes in the pipe. But everywhere I go riding the HMF's are major ****aki. At least around here, unless you've got a comp series, the people running HMF's are usually the goons and idiots. They don't last in all of the moisture, rain and salt water.

quadmanw
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I have an hmf laying around that is still in great shape bro. And my buddy runs one and beats the chit out of it.. I think they're great quality.. Sound bad***** to! My opinions

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
No I know I had a Pro Circuit pipe I was able to match the old Pro Circuit badge up to the holes in the pipe. But everywhere I go riding the HMF's are major ****aki. At least around here, unless you've got a comp series, the people running HMF's are usually the goons and idiots. They don't last in all of the moisture, rain and salt water. Well the moisture statement isn't true. Take a trip to the mud bog once and see what there aaallllllll running. That would be hmf the mud, sand, rain, moisture, chit don't effect it. I even have one on my foreman and i'm in the mud all the time the only thing is they get mud stained but any pipe does that.

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 06:10 PM
I basically live on the coast, in a rain forest. The salt water and high humidity of salt water in the air rusts everything that has the ability to rust and it doesn't just buildup it corrodes and eats the metal up. When the HMF's and any pipes like them get chipped and scratched or the finish wears off they're doomed. Even my pipe has to be scrubbed and oiled to prevent rust from building up or it will happen overnight. It's all opinion, and around here I wouldn't recommend HMF, they're not "bad" but they're not the best and for the same price or less there's plenty of options that you can choose that will be much more satisfying.

dxcody
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Donny Ockerman, Cliffton Beasley, Matt Parker, Johnny Gallagher, Michael Swift, Jeff Pickens, Dave Simmons, Mark Notman, Kristen Atwell, Traci Cecco, Brian Wolf... I guess those guys + gals fall under your catagory of "goons and idiots"

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 06:18 PM
^^ GREAT POINT!!!!!!! The comp series hmf is made of T6061 Aluminum I'm not sure if its even possible for it to rust or corod

PrideRider
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Id rather have a Yoshi than a HMF (Having Major Flaws)

quadmanw
02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
MOTOWORKS guys.. LOL

dxcody
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
i think im gonna buy a motoworks now, BUT my point was that saying HMF is poor quality was kinda weird.

ANYWAYS buy a slip on OF YOUR CHOOSING! and be freaking happy! lol :D

quadmanw
02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Hahaha I'm with ya.

HondaRacing83
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
The Motoworks is the absolute best pipe you can get for the price no matter what that AwesomeHonda tard says. He praises everything he has and thinks its the best. Next hes gonna try and say his pro taper 7/8 are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any renthal fatbar! I've seen plenty of rusted HMF's. Never liked the sound.

HondaRacing83
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Donny Ockerman, Cliffton Beasley, Matt Parker, Johnny Gallagher, Michael Swift, Jeff Pickens, Dave Simmons, Mark Notman, Kristen Atwell, Traci Cecco, Brian Wolf... I guess those guys + gals fall under your catagory of "goons and idiots" They are prob running the comp if i had to guess...

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
TheAwesomehonda why are you so butthurt about it? lol

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Look I'll give you the fact that it's a well known pipe in XC, but it's not popular in the MX world by any means. I don't know much about them but they certainly look like S around here and they're not under dB limit either (strict 93dB limit). Plus they're more expensive than a Motoworks and I can see no reason why they're any better, therefore not worth the extra $$$. I know for a fact I can get my Motoworks to pass dB too, so I don't have to pay $150 every time I ride on state land.

TheAwesomehonda
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
@HondaRacing83 Just shut your mouth before you get this thread deleted for to many stupid comments by you....
@Rohr397 My comp series pipe just needs a hex wrench and the smaller end cap and its under 93db :p .... also does this motosports company even make a full system? For all you guys by the way exhaust don't make much of a difference anyhow cuz i've got stock exhuast on my 01 ex and its got alot of power with the 426 kit.

Rohr397
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah they make a full system with a full carbon fiber silencer and they're the title sponors for all of the factory Can-Am team. They're also the same company that makes Douglas Wheels.

CJM
02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
You guys need to stop bickering... :mad:

quadmanw
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
CJM to the rescue!!!:devil:

01boneless
02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
im just gonna thro this out there FMF!!!! haha jk cool it fellas imho moto is better than hmf. how many people thinks bikes are better than quads. its called a opion.

dxcody
02-15-2012, 02:48 AM
What does help is an intake, but I haven't seen any for 400ex's. From the looks of it there's not much that can be done to the stock intake to improve flow. Those Fuel Customs intakes release the beast in the 450's!

K&N actually makes one for the 400ex. Its like $75 i think?

I wonder if you could buy the K&N intake then use a UNI with it.. NOTHING AGAINST K&N just wondering..

i saw it on ebay.

chronicsmoke
02-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by CJM
You guys need to stop bickering... :mad:

haha didn't you know?

Everything I own is the best. Period. I only own the best.

:rolleyes: lol

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
This chronicsmoke guy, I like what he did there lol.

HondaRacing83
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
@HondaRacing83 Just shut your mouth before you get this thread deleted for to many stupid comments by you....
@Rohr397 My comp series pipe just needs a hex wrench and the smaller end cap and its under 93db :p .... also does this motosports company even make a full system? For all you guys by the way exhaust don't make much of a difference anyhow cuz i've got stock exhuast on my 01 ex and its got alot of power with the 426 kit. For my stupid comments? Other way around but ok.. What is with you and this full pipe deal? Your EX is totally stock in the motor by your sig, then a full system is not giving you any more power what so ever, its pointless to no beyond. A full is pointless even with motorwork, just like i said grinding those welds will make it just as good as an aftermarket header and its free and easy and not $200+ or whatever headers are nowadays. Why would you even want it that loud anyway? I'd keep that end cap on 24/7. Exhausts DO make a difference. They let the motor breathe and flow better.

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
For my stupid comments? Other way around but ok.. What is with you and this full pipe deal? Your EX is totally stock in the motor by your sig, then a full system is not giving you any more power what so ever, its pointless to no beyond. A full is pointless even with motorwork, just like i said grinding those welds will make it just as good as an aftermarket header and its free and easy and not $200+ or whatever headers are nowadays. Why would you even want it that loud anyway? I'd keep that end cap on 24/7. Exhausts DO make a difference. They let the motor breathe and flow better.

x2

I do apologize to everyone else for the argument. I just don't want a new owner spending a good amount of money on something not worth it.

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I have the full system exhaust because when I do have more motor mods it will give me more flow and I hate these stock rust head pipes that look so stupid. What pro racers even use motoworks exhaust anyhow?

Pipeless416
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
lol at this whole thread... and who was it that said they see rusted HMFs everywhere? you sure about that..? ;) anyway, if you were to look at the internals of 95% of the aftermarket pipes out there, you'll just find a core that is roughly 1.5-2 inches in diameter that is full of holes and wrapped in packing. pick whichever one is made of the best materials.. (again, most are aluminum with stainless components).. then look at price, and then looks. other things you may want to consider is the ability to "tune" the sound output with quiet cores or different end caps. there, simplified and to the point.

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
^^ Great comment. That is why I like the comp series by hmf look at the sound and flow adjusts here http://www.hmfracing.com/tech-resources/competition-series it is a good exhaust and anyone that said its junk or bad quality oveously hasn't used one or even seen or heard one....:macho

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Here's a list of pro's using the Motoworks SR4:

Josh Fredrick
Dustin Nelson
Jeremie Warnia
John Natalie Jr.
Josh Creamer
Cody Miller
Josh Row
Chad Wienen
Adam McGill
Chris Bithell

These were compiled from 2011 and 2012. I completely disagree on sound for HMF, and I've heard and seen my fair share of them too. I'll give them looks, but they're nothing spectacular. I like the Motoworks because it's being put through R&D by a professional factory race team year after year in almost every racing series out there (WORCS, GNCC, NEATV, Pro Nationals, and QuadX) and many of the 2011 champions used Motoworks. It's also been used on their factory teams in Pro-Am classes. I'm shocked that you've never heard of Factory DWT/Motoworks Can-Am. They're at the top of the sport right now just like Rockstar/Makita Suzuki was from 06-09 in almost every class.

They're also the people that make Douglas Wheels (DWT) which usually has an advertisement right at the top of the exriders.com website. Additionally they build Can-Am Ds450 engines upon request, it's crazy expensive but if someones serious they can get their motor built identical to the factory race engines.

kt1148
02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
^^ The main reason I bought mine...:devil:

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh and Seth Fargher (BombSquad rider, makers of Huevos) works there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv7lSt7OSbM

Pipeless416
02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
i would use their pipe if they sponsored me too...:rolleyes: it does not prove anything as far as performance or quality. sorry, but those guys would all win with any other brand slapped on their machines as well.

kt1148
02-15-2012, 05:05 PM
I have the full system exhaust because when I do have more motor mods it will give me more flow and I hate these stock rust head pipes that look so stupid. What pro racers even use motoworks exhaust anyhow? He was asked ^^. I think he was just answering...

Pipeless416
02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by kt1148
^^ The main reason I bought mine...:devil:

^^ :macho

300ridr
02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
THEYRE BOTH GOOD PIPES, TONS OF PROS USE EACH OF THEM, SOUND QUALITY IS PREFERANCE, BOTH CAN BE QUIETED, AND BOTH FAIRLY CHEAP! ID SAY GO THE CHEAP ROUTE, NEITHER ONE IS BAD!

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Again, all slipons are the same, they just look different sound different and have a different price.

The ONLY reason a race team uses a certain product is because they are sponsered and contracted to do it, they have no choice.

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Oh and Seth Fargher (BombSquad rider, makers of Huevos) works there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv7lSt7OSbM Oh this Seth Fargher dude cool like a cool guy but i'm prity sure hes running an fmf in this vid so what was your point?

dxcody
02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh this Seth Fargher dude cool like a cool guy but i'm prity sure hes running an fmf in this vid so what was your point?

come on dude.... it was finally over and now your starting it again..

Just cool it. PM him if you wanna keep this going. But stop it on this thread.

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah man I really don't want to fight you on it but you keep saying things like "what pro racers use motoworks exhaust anyhow?" and when you do I'm not going pass up giving you a list of pros who use it. I'm not even mad, I'm just pointing out the flaws in your argument. I'm not saying the Motoworks is a better pipe, I'm saying it's a cheaper pipe and it's just as good, why spend $300 vs $200 if you're even agreeing that pipes are all the same? That's what I'm trying to say here, it's the same performance for 2/3 the price. Built with basically the same materials too.

But to clarify on Seth Fargher, that video was from 2010 when he was sponsored by FMF through the Bomb Squad (all of their riders were), he got the job in 2011 with them, so the video was just showing who he is.

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Again, not trying to argue, just pointing out some facts here. I'm won't reply to this if you won't and we can leave it at that. But if you reply and continue to argue, I am not going to let it slip. Can we just agree to disagree?

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah man I really don't want to fight you on it but you keep saying things like "what pro racers use motoworks exhaust anyhow?" and when you do I'm not going pass up giving you a list of pros who use it. I'm not even mad, I'm just pointing out the flaws in your argument. I'm not saying the Motoworks is a better pipe, I'm saying it's a cheaper pipe and it's just as good, why spend $300 vs $200 if you're even agreeing that pipes are all the same? That's what I'm trying to say here, it's the same performance for 2/3 the price. Built with basically the same materials too.

But to clarify on Seth Fargher, that video was from 2010 when he was sponsored by FMF through the Bomb Squad (all of their riders were), he got the job in 2011 with them, so the video was just showing who he is. Ok I'm only going to say it once more because people still don't seem to understand. HMF isn't a bad quality product, it isn't a bad sounding exhaust, and it sure as hell is more popular and a larger company then motoworks when it comes to atv exhaust....... end of story bottom line!!!!

kt1148
02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
:huh

Rohr397
02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by kt1148
:huh

x2, I don't get why he keeps pushing the issue but whatever, it's not even that big of a deal.

HondaRacing83
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
what the...? ok..

powerbomb400
02-16-2012, 06:11 AM
It's amazing this thread went for so many pages on a slip-on without offering any thoughts other than price.:rolleyes: I have a 2 Brothers now but I did run the FMF Titanium 4 which is almost the same as the HMF. The only difference to me is sound. I have the FMF Powerbomb header and used it on both of them. The FMF was alot louder than my 2 Brothers. Alot of racers run what the sponsors give them on the track but if someones offers a better deals they will change in a heartbeat.

cheater13
02-16-2012, 12:41 PM
^^I agree with you. I have the exact same exhaust setup; FMF Titanium 4 with the Powerbomb header and that thing is pretty loud compared to other fourwheelers.

When it comes to exhaust, it's pretty much your own opinion. Everyone on here has a different exhaust and have their own personal reference about them. Looks/Power/Reliability/Ect.

I heard good of sparks, fmf, hmf, and motoworks. Research on them and find the one you like and go from there.

Like i said, everyone has their own opinions/experiences with different exhaust setups.

TheAwesomehonda
02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
^^ I agree... I'm not saying hmf is the best cuz there isn't a best exhaust but its a good one thats for sure.

HondaRacing83
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
^^ I agree... I'm not saying hmf is the best cuz there isn't a best exhaust but its a good one thats for sure. So is Motoworks. Its obviously more price efficiant to buy a Motoworks.

TheAwesomehonda
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
So is Motoworks. Its obviously more price efficiant to buy a Motoworks. Why what is the price for the motoworks slip on and full system?

HondaRacing83
02-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Why what is the price for the motoworks slip on and full system? 209.99 free shipping, full system is freaking pointless so why does it matter? compared to what 290 for the hmf and 330 for the hmf comp slip ons. Like the price difference is a filters, maybe some bars, guards, whatever you wanna spend it on

HondaRacing83
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
209.99 free shipping, full system is freaking pointless so why does it matter? compared to what 290 for the hmf and 330 for the hmf comp slip ons. Like the price difference is a filters, maybe some bars, guards, whatever you wanna spend it on 450 free shipping for a full motoworks btw

Rohr397
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
But to answer the question they're right around $400 for the full system, give or take $10. They used to be $299.99 but they came out with the G2 system for race engines so they slashed prices on the original pipes. Also the carbon fiber systems are more expensive.

Rohr397
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
450 free shipping for a full motoworks btw $450? Huh, wonder where I saw $400.

HondaRacing83
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
$450? Huh, wonder where I saw $400. idk it very well could be 400 i just looked on ebay real quick

Rohr397
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Okay just to clear things up;

Motoworks SR4 Slip-On $209.95
Motoworks SR4 Slip-On CF $339.95

Motoworks SR4 Full $399.95
Motoworks SR4 CF Full $539.95

Here's pricing on the new SR4 G2, only available for the top 450's right now though. Several options for inserts.

Motoworks SR4 G2 Slip-On $249.95
Motoworks SR4 G2 Full $399.95

TheAwesomehonda
02-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Thats a great price!! except for the SR4 CF hmm i wonder what the reason for the higher price on that model is?

HondaRacing83
02-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Thats a great price!! except for the SR4 CF hmm i wonder what the reason for the higher price on that model is? carbon fiber

426kidz
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Funny how people forget Curtis sparks. I run a full HMF and i love it but sparks is my top choice just top dollar also, as far as add ons I would re-gear, stage 2 hot cam, 11:1 piston etc... the usual IMO the best thing is gears for the price always over looked but a good set of gears will make or break your bike. I didnt read al the post so if I repeated anyone im sorry.

CJM
02-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Sparks is nice and all but VERY loud, so loud it actually hurts my ears. Is there more performance out of it vs a full hmf or whatever-I highly doubt it.

426kidz
02-18-2012, 11:19 PM
I believe there is actually, I remember this topic came up awhile back and the sparks chart was a little more impressive. Couple hundred dollars more impressive? I maybe selling my hmf for a sparks shortly and it's brand new. Top of the line in my eyes but everyone's got opinions.

quadmanw
02-18-2012, 11:20 PM
There's no need to even look at buying a sparks when motoworks is on the market..mthenprice of sparks is insane.. I like the long canister of the motoworks also..

426kidz
02-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah, this topic never goes anywhere. But for mods I'd re gear. Buddy recently dropped 1900 in his 400 and didn't see much change at all until he got the correct sprockets. World of difference.

CJM
02-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 426kidz
I believe there is actually, I remember this topic came up awhile back and the sparks chart was a little more impressive. Couple hundred dollars more impressive? I maybe selling my hmf for a sparks shortly and it's brand new. Top of the line in my eyes but everyone's got opinions.

Thats the thing, does the price outweigh the power that may come with it.

Will you see gains of 10hp with one, no I very much doubt that. You gain 1hp at most thats whats more likely to happen. So in my opinion its not worth it.

JOHNDOE83
02-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats the thing, does the price outweigh the power that may come with it.

Will you see gains of 10hp with one, no I very much doubt that. You gain 1hp at most thats whats more likely to happen. So in my opinion its not worth it.

x2 this is the best advice given so far.

426kidz
02-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Well once again it's all about taste. I have good taste and always want top dollar top quality products sometimes it's not about the price or horsepower. It's about having the best, is there a difference in having the top of the line foot pegs, handle bars, rims etc? No, but with anything that doesn't effect your ability to be a good rider as well as the things that make you a better rider or gives you the edge like motor work, gears etc. You always want the best there is most of the time one product is the same as the next but the name out does the price and quality we all know it's not all
About making horse power. It's about the name and the right to show off what you have. For example if you build a hybrid and you take the route of modding the frame for a crf instead of buying a frame made for the set-up. You see no or very little gain in buying a aftermarket frame BUT once again I would never hack a 400 frame for a hybrid it's just not my way of doing things I rather over spend on a aftermarket frame in order to get a true hybrid. Has very little to do with the gains of the frame rather the ability to have the best. So in most cases it's opinion and style.Over quality and hrs power just so happens to be that the highest quality is usually highest price and very little gain in anything, we all want to say I have this and show it all off. Show me a hmf or moto an ill say so what everyone has them. Show me a sparks I'll get excited lol

TheAwesomehonda
02-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Well once again it's all about taste. I have good taste and always want top dollar top quality products sometimes it's not about the price or horsepower. It's about having the best, is there a difference in having the top of the line foot pegs, handle bars, rims etc? No, but with anything that doesn't effect your ability to be a good rider as well as the things that make you a better rider or gives you the edge like motor work, gears etc. You always want the best there is most of the time one product is the same as the next but the name out does the price and quality we all know it's not all
About making horse power. It's about the name and the right to show off what you have. For example if you build a hybrid and you take the route of modding the frame for a crf instead of buying a frame made for the set-up. You see no or very little gain in buying a aftermarket frame BUT once again I would never hack a 400 frame for a hybrid it's just not my way of doing things I rather over spend on a aftermarket frame in order to get a true hybrid. Has very little to do with the gains of the frame rather the ability to have the best. So in most cases it's opinion and style.Over quality and hrs power just so happens to be that the highest quality is usually highest price and very little gain in anything, we all want to say I have this and show it all off. Show me a hmf or moto an ill say so what everyone has them. Show me a sparks I'll get excited lol So let me get this straight.. are you saying that top of the line aftermarket parts don't make a difference? So stoock handle bars are as good as protapers or msr levers are as good as asv? What do you mean?

426kidz
02-19-2012, 08:34 AM
nooooo, not talking or comparing stock too aftermarket. comparing aftermarket too aftermarket. but compaired a stock frame to a aftermarket just for an example im saying aftermarket is better sometimes but once you hit aftermarket mostly all the companys are similar just at different levels. like renthal and pro taper are similar I could say pro taper but you could say renthal for many different reasons . We are beating a dead horse lol this goes no where.but we wore talking about sparks and other pipes, I think sparks is top of the line for my reasons and the fact that they got the credit they got through more than how the canister looks and the high price. msr is great and will do anything a asv does but asv got the name and ability to price higher for a good reason.sorry if it gets complicated im done ;)

TheAwesomehonda
02-19-2012, 08:48 AM
nooooo, not talking or comparing stock too aftermarket. comparing aftermarket too aftermarket. but compaired a stock frame to a aftermarket just for an example im saying aftermarket is better sometimes but once you hit aftermarket mostly all the companys are similar just at different levels. like renthal and pro taper are similar I could say pro taper but you could say renthal for many different reasons . We are beating a dead horse lol this goes no where.but we wore talking about sparks and other pipes, I think sparks is top of the line for my reasons and the fact that they got the credit they got through more than how the canister looks and the high price. msr is great and will do anything a asv does but asv got the name and ability to price higher for a good reason.sorry if it gets complicated im done ;) Ok now wre on the same page but there are better and worse quality aftermarket parts and huge differences in price to..

426kidz
02-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Absolutly. That's why sparks is 600 dollars. HIGHEST quality 400ex exhaust=the highest priced 400ex exhaust lol