PDA

View Full Version : fox single or dual rate rear shock

AHONDA17
02-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Which do you prefer and why

eastside 400
02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
you usually dont pick what one you want, the shock manufacturer works with whatever suspension company your setup is to figure out how the shock needs to be setup for the linkage you are working with.. Fox rear shocks suck in general so it really doesnt matter.

Lquad71
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
PEP

TJ Bradley
02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I run a Dual rate fox on my JB superlink set up. I love it.

AHONDA17
02-13-2012, 09:13 PM
OK THANKS

jkiserracing
02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
x2 what TJ said. I have the Walsh set up whith the Fox shock...it is far from sucking...its freakin awsome!!:D

TJ Bradley
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I also had a dual rate Axis rear on my old JB set up on my 05 bikes. Couldnt really tell a difference to be honest. Both worked great. But def Dual rate is the way to go whatever shock you choose. Good luck.

big bad beny
02-14-2012, 04:35 AM
A lot of it depends on your weight. The rule of thumb is 200 lb and up single rate 200 lb and under duel rate. But also your type or riding will change that to when you order your shock ask those questions. Call DeRisi racing. He workes with fox alot. He should be able answers a lot of your questions. He might even be able to get you a good deal.

3leggeddog
02-14-2012, 05:34 AM
my understanding is that it depends on the progression of the linkage, and how well the ratio hits the sweet spot through the travel of the suspension. I am 175lb and when we recently switched from JB to Six 5 Design, Fox recomended we go from a dual rate, to single rate rear spring. The Six 5 swinger and linkage work well enough through the entire travel, a dual rate setup is not needed. While dual rate gives a great plush ride on the little stuff, it also helps to remove that intial "buck" Honda's have as they start through the compression stroke. Which is caused by a bind on the levarage ratio of the stock linkage. Thats why aftermarket linkages are so different, with different shock angles, and mounting points, ETC.

Basically, you need to pick a swinger, and link, call Fox, or whoever, and they will decided after looking at the data,rider weight, etc, and tell you if you need single or dual rate setup.

I too do not believe Fox has the best rear shock out there. but their customer service, low price and support of the industry make up for it. The performance is good, but I've rode better. Motowoz has an excellent rear shock, as well as PEP, or Custom Axis. Do some research before you buy something used.

All of the above is only my opinion

THX

B ROB

AHONDA17
02-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Awesome thanks for the response that was the answer I was looking for

eastside 400
02-14-2012, 07:47 AM
that is why i said that it is not your option to pick from, the shock manufacturer will know what setup you need. The problem with the fox rear shock is that it comes with standard valving, the only thing they change when ordered is the springs. And yes, dual rate setups are basically a band-aid to a bad linkage setup... look at any MX bike, no one has a dual-rate because the linkages are progressive enough not to need a dual rate spring setup

yfm250rider
02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
i just bought a dual rate fox rear for my 06 have not had a chance to put it on yet but i was hoping it would get rid of the harshness in the stock linkage

TJ Bradley
02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Would a dual rate shock not make a good linkage set up that much better tho? As long as it's set up for correctly.

Not arguing just trying to understand.:D

Ex_Rider43
02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I have a Fox podium DSC for a Walsh savior for sale if thats what you looking for. It was a good shock IMO but not the best Ive rode.

eastside 400
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
no, i dualrate isnt always better then a single rate. You want the suspension to have a progressive damping curve. in the initial part of the stroke you want softer damping and then progressively get stiff, a good linkage/leverage ratio will take care of the majority of that. The valving in the shock itself will fine tune everything with no need of a dual rate spring setup. you want a smooth damping curve and typically when you have multiple springs you will see where each crossover is on the graph and this can make harsh spots in the travel. I am by no means a suspension expert but i read up on alot of stuff and have a bunch of suspension books so i can try to understand as much as i can, if anyone who has real knowledge to any of this has a point i would be glad to see it