PDA

View Full Version : timing key

db5
02-12-2012, 09:48 PM
ok well a while back i installed the sparks timing key..all i had done was stage 2 hot cams sparks exhaust and running no lid..i sent my motor off to be built and now i have it bored to a 416 ported head 11:1 wiesco piston and +1 exhuast valves...i took the timing key out and when i went to start it all the starter did was spin...like the gear on the starter is not catching the one on the flywheel...anyone know if i made a mistake putting it back together..
any help is greatly appreiciated
thanks guys!

CJM
02-12-2012, 10:02 PM
The starter isnt engaging the flywheel for some reason. Id take a look at it and see why. Start at the starter cover and see whats going on inside there.

trailrider894
02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Either you didn't get those gears lined up right when you put the side cover back on, or even though I know this is a stretch, I've seen it done, did you put the old timing key back in??? I know a guy who " forgot " to put the old one back in...

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 06:07 AM
You put the gears back in wrong most likely..i did the same exact thing lol..

db5
02-13-2012, 07:44 AM
I took the case back off to check everything..all the gears seamed ok but i popped the flywheel back off and noticed that the timing key had grooves in it like something was rubbing on it...should i get a new one?

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Are they deep grooves? A new one would probably be best

db5
02-13-2012, 08:09 AM
The grooves arent to deep...i was confused when i saw them...im going to see if i can find a new one....i know when you install the sparks key it has to be a certain way...does the stock one have a certain way it goes in or it doesnt matter?

WoodTRD
02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
It shouldn't matter, the sparks key has to go in a certain way because of the offset in it that allows the flywheel to be rotated slightly and advance the timing. I'll be swapping my sparks out for the stocker before long too.

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
The stock key shouldn't matter if there is a groove in it.. The starter gears are above that.. If the starter just spins when you press the buttons then it can't be grabbing those gears

db5
02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Ok just making sure i had it in the right way...im ganna go ahead and order a new one just to bw safe....yeah the starter gear isnt grabbing the flywheel but i can figure out why....i know i had everything good and tight

CJM
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
You may have not put the starter gears back in the right way.

Some helpful info on installing a sparks key (got pics) http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks+advance

trailrider894
02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
When you place the starter gear in there, make sure you have the spacer in the correct position and that you MADE SURE you placed the gear in so it connects with the other gear, don' just put it in there, they need to be placed so the teeth of the starter gear are in the grooves.