PDA

View Full Version : New front end setup

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I have setup a few other front ends before on my 400 and they never seemed right.. I plan on setting up my new a arms this week and I want to get the camber and toe exactly right.. I plan on doing the camber 3 degrees with the top in and bottom out.. I think it's called negative camber. What is the easiest way to do that? Use the angle finder on the tire or the inside of the spnidle? And as for the toe, how do I set the up right? Thanks in advance!

dxcody
02-12-2012, 07:04 PM
What i did was, set the quad on a stand. Measured the width, from top of the tire to top of the other tire.
Then measured the bottom of the tire to the bottom of the other tire.

It should be .5" on each tire. In other words the top of the tire should lean in 1" TOTAL.

I had full flight a arms and the easiest way to set the camber was turn the bottom a arm joint out 2 more times than the top.

So if the top arm joint was 1 turn out, the bottom needed to be 3.

It set it up perfect. Thats according to gtt specs.

I didnt toe mine in or out. My alignment was dead on.

CJM
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
So whats everyones preference for toe in/out. I set mine to toe in about 1/4" like many suggest.

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I still don't understand how to set the camber lol. I have an angle finder.. Will that work? And I was gonna do 1/4 toe in also..

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Cjm, how did you adjust your toe? I know how to move the tie rods but did you put something from your back tire to your front or what?

CJM
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Adjusted the tie rods in/out is all there really is to doing toe.

I measured the inside of the wheels in the front and the back and I set the fronts 1/4" in. To d this I adjusted the tierod end out at the spindle, thus pushing the back of the wheels out and the fronts in.

Its rather simple to adjust your frontend actually camber tho. You need a straight edge such as a carpenters square, a flat surface, a dial indicator and some ratchet straps to lock the bars into place.

Basically you want negative camber, about 2-3 degrees. Easiest way to do so is adjusting the top balljoint in or out. Usually it must go in, so you take you lock the bars, take your square and verify where the wheel is, then take the dial indicator and see where it is. Then all you do is turn that top balljoint to what you want.

Im sorry its a bit hard to picture but thats all there really is too it.

heres a PDF by lonestar racing that may explain it a bit better: http://www.lsracing.com/img/Guide_21.pdf

[edit] heres some info I found of JD performances site:

Rest the straight edge against the outside of your front tire (making sure both wheels are pointing straight and you are touching the same part of the tire, top and bottom). The top of the straight edge should lean inward for negative camber. Now put the angle finder against the straight edge and note the reading. If you need more or less camber, do so by adjusting the outer jam nut to acquire desired camber setting. You can also use a framing square , (make sure there is adequate pressure in tires so it does not bulge out at the bottom) butted up against the tire and in the same place it touches at the bottom, take a measurement at the top and give it about a 3/4" gap. This is approx a 2 1/2 to 3 degree negative camber setting.

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
No I understand lol. You do all of this on the outside of the rim and center f front tire with the level right?

CJM
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Square would be better but a level will work I guess.

Id use a large framing square if anything. Home cheapos like 10 bucks for one lol.

This stuff comes easy to me, I can do it on cars which are much more complicated.

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I have plenty of framing squares lol. I've never done this to a truck.. I hate front ends to be honest.. After my fullflights

CJM
02-12-2012, 08:44 PM
you'll be fine. Bother us if you cant figure it out, if anything we cant figure out its time to ask dustin as he knows best as he is the suspension guru round here.

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Haha alright man thanks for the help

CJM
02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
your welcome. GL with it.

now if my damn clutch would get here... They didnt send a tracking # and I believe its the same guy who sells the arms and I believe its lazlo from GTT cause thats the name of the paypal lol

quadmanw
02-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Lol its probably him. He's good with his stuff.. You ordered last week.. Wouldn't be surprised of they're in tomorrow. I couldn't believe how fast my arms came in

dxcody
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I understand... Full Flights are... well.. far from good. lol

CJM: i ordered some stuff last tuesday and its supposed to be in tomorrow, so maybe yours will be too!

CJM
02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
maybe Ill be lucky too lol.

The clutch is stopping me from finishing since I dont want to do it in the frame. 900x easier if the engines out lol..

quadmanw
02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I'll keep that in mind when I go to put my clutch in.. Let me know how that gtt clutch kit feels when you're done.. I'm yet to find the measurements for my gtt arms haha. My motor is still being built so that is holding me back