PDA

View Full Version : best place to order cam chain and components

636chris
02-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Wheres the best place to order the crf cam chain for the 400ex . im looking to put a new cam chain , tensor and guides in my 416ex but im having trouble finding somewhere that has all the parts i need . If you were going to do this job what all would you get parts and gasket wise and how would you go about installing it . Im going to adjust my valves tonight and see if my bike quiets down at idle because i have some noise at idle but none whats so ever when reving or riding .

please if possible post a link and part numbers .

thanks in advance

CJM
02-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I usually get my stuff from motosport. Any of the online dealers like service honda, mr cycles, etc charge you ALOT in shipping.

You could also check with honda of east toledo (site sponsor). They have cut me some good deals before and thier staff is quite knowledgeable.

636chris
02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
i have a local honda dealer . would i be better off just ordering from them? i don't believe i even need to do the chain or anything but i would like to do it for peace of mind . How hard of a job is this all to do. Im used to riding 2smokers , this is my first 4stroke other than old 3 wheelers . I will check out them sites and compair prices . i just need all the part numbers because my local dealer has some "slow " employees whom have ordered me wrong parts in the past

CJM
02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Motosport you can get part numbers easy, they have a parts fiche.

Doing the chains not to hard. Gotta remove the head to do the guides, tensioner is cake. Gotta remove clutch side cover, clutch and whatnot to get one guide out tho.

Most do this entire process and bore the cylinder and up to a higher compression piston at the same time since its all apart.

Muddytrux
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
the part number for the chain is 14401-MEB-671 i just did this too except i didnt pull the head or replace the guides they were still in good shape as far as the tensioner i just rebuilt mine ( rewound ) spring inside worked great. the chain cost around 35 bux the tensioner is somewhere around 60ish. you will also need the clutch cover gasket and mind as well do an oil change while your at it since u have to pull one of the bolt to get the cover off. If you do it without pulling the head then you will have to remove the cam sprocket to get the chain on and timing marks lined up. if you dont u will be mother fing it like i did until i realized it was much easier removing the 2 allen bolts. hope that helps

636chris
02-12-2012, 07:12 PM
any clue what a shop would charge to do the guides and chain? im not even sure if i need to do it but im anal and id rather know that it was just done. im sure im more than capable of doing it myself im just lazy.

CJM
02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by 636chris
any clue what a shop would charge to do the guides and chain? im not even sure if i need to do it but im anal and id rather know that it was just done. im sure im more than capable of doing it myself im just lazy.

Most shops charge around 75/hour. Id say its at least one of those 2 hour jobs, maybe more. All depends.

my local dealer wanted over 200 bucks to tune a carb one time I asked.

dxcody
02-12-2012, 07:25 PM
The honda shop here in Indiana where i live is.... TERRIBLE!

They charge $95/hr and to change a set of front wheel bearings on my foreman (we took the hubs too them, all they had to do was press out the old bearings and put new ones in) they quoted me $350. Seriously.

636chris
02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
damn . i thought id be getting ripped off. i used to drag race sport bikes a few years ago . im pretty sure i could handle a cam chain lol rather than spend that much at a stealership