PDA

View Full Version : 400ex stupid question about oil level

636chris
02-12-2012, 02:56 PM
whats up guys . i have a 2001 400ex bored to a 416. i have 2 oil coolers and a um oversized oil tank. ive checked the oil via warming the quad up and taking it for a ride ,then letting it sit for a few minutes idling ,then shutting her off for a few and checking the oil. yesterday i topped her off to the full mark when warm. today i decided to check the oil when cold to see if it went to the lower marks as everyone states it will read low when cold. However mine still reads full on the dip stick when sitting . Is this because of my extra oil compasity via the oversized tank and extra cooler. Its not reading overly full when i check it just basically the upper mark or a slight bit higher nothing crazy. im just a little bit puzzled as yesterday i had to add a slight bit when i warmed her up real good after doing an oil change. i dont want to blow anything up so i would just like to make sure this is normal

CJM
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
I honestly dont know, might just be a fluke.

Id warm it up and let run for a good 15 mins then shut it down and check.

For awhile I was losing my marbles b/c I have an oversize tank as well and when could it would read very low. I drained the oil several times and checked to make sure I had enough! I also found I wasnt letting it warm up enough since its colder out it needs more time since I use thick oil.

JOHNDOE83
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
In reality you do not need any more oil cooling devices then what already comes on a 400ex. My 440 runs almost the same as a stock 400ex heat wise.

With the extra oil cooler and a oversized oil tank youll need almost another quart of oil "Im guessing" I would start it up and let it run with the standard amount of oil, then add oil till you see a good flow going back into the oil tank.

I know its hard to see but use a light or whatever to try and see if its flowing right, you may need to ditch one of your coolers to get the oil flow working correctly, If you decide to do that I would keep the biggest oil cooler out of the two"IMO" even tho you dont really need it.

FYI = The best aftermarket mod for oil cooling is the spal fan.

636chris
02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
im just running the set up that came on the quad. theres an oil cooler mounted upward (under the headlight area) and one mounted in the front under the tip of the plastics and them the um(could be cfm ) tank . im stumped . i ran the quad for a bit as it was cold out yesterday and checked the oil it was between the full and lower mark (a lil toward the lower more) after i idled it and shut it off for a few minutes so i added a little bit of oil to where it read full. but according to what ive read it should read low when cold which in my case i checked it today while it hasnt been ran and its reading full . maybe due to my extra lines holding the oil for a tad longer and it all drains into the tank when completely cold.

do you think i have anything to worry about? or should i wait til tomorrow and warm her up real good and check imediately after shutting her down?

636chris
02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
to add to the above i believe both coolers are stock coolers . neither are aftermarket.

KKiowaTJ
02-12-2012, 08:33 PM
IMO id drain it all out and add the recommended amount and go from there. Find out what size cooler it is and add.

On a side note I'm new to Honda 400ex's, I didn't know there was a "certain"way to check the oil, Now i have to go and drain it and find out lol. I just checked it cold, Wasn't on the stick, Added till full, Almost a full court but IMO runs better as i had a issue go away after adding.

But the best way to cover your *** is to just drain it out and fill it with the correct amount and then add from there. Good luck

CJM
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
UM tank should take about 3.5 qt's give or take a 1/4 of a quart. My CFM takes about 3.5 qt/s

636chris
02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
then im more than likely good ill start her up tomorrow ,let it warm up and blah blah blah shut it off and check the oil after sitting for a couple min.

my friend i bought the quad off of just changed the oil. so when i put new exhaust gaskets in it(copper crush gaskets in the head) i had to move my oil tank. i didnt drain the crank case just the tank . i added about 2 and 1/2 to the tank which seemed to be about what came out of it (i added fresh oil of course) . i might just be paranoid about this . i will eventaully change the oil probably in about 2 weeks when i do my clutch with a new filter and im assuming about 3 quarts of oil .

im just stumped after reading "if its checked while cold the reading will be low" and im checking mine low for ****s and giggles and its still full.

636chris
02-13-2012, 12:57 PM
if im actually a little over fill with my two oil coolers and over sized tank ( i mean like half a mouth full over) would it actaully hurt anything ? i cant see if building enough pressure to blow anything unless it was completely and i mean overly filled to the point of the oil spilling out of the dip stick hole when you pull out the stick.

correct me if im wrong .

how low should it read while cold?

if the tank is at the full mark which the tank drains into the crank case ,wouldnt the tank read full cold also ? seeing as how the oil cooler cooler lines route upward out of the motor and the cooler dumps oil back into the tank therefore making the oil sit at the lowest level in the system (the tank and crank case)

maybe im putting too much though into this

636chris
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
cjm - do you mean complete oil change 3.5 quarts or just in the tank? when i drained my tank i added about 2.5 quarts to the bone dry tank and that was after the quad sat for maybe a day.

CJM
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
If you have an oversized oil tank it should take approx 3.25-3.5 qts.

Change oil, add 2-2.5 qts, turn over and let warm up. Add rest after warmed up

636chris
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
i just started the bike up and warmed it completely up . took a ride around the block ,idled it for about 5 min and then checked the oil after sitting for about 3 minutes and it was to the top of the filler neck. i just drained 200ml out of the tank and im restarting the process.

am i doing this right or am i and idiot .

it should read full when fully warmed up and shut down for a few minutes correct

powerbomb400
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I have a standard size tank. I do just like CJM said to do. A standard tank will take 2 quarts to fill up to full level after a filter and oil change. I will put a quart and a half in. Crank and let warm up to operating temperature. Shut motor off and wait a few minutes and check then put the rest in. Even thou I know that 2 quarts will fill to upper level I will repeat process and check to make sure. Sometimes I might have to add a little bit more to bring it up to the full mark. Do what CJM said to do and you know it was done right.

636chris
02-13-2012, 03:07 PM
ok now im reading to the full (hole) after i warm it up and then shut off for a few and check it.

how long should it take to read low after sitting or is that just a fluke?

powerbomb400
02-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't know of a exact amount of time. What happens is the oil will flow back into the engine and give false reading.

636chris
02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
ok so as long as im not reading low or overly full after i warm it up . im good then? man this 4stoke stuff is different than 2smokers lol i never owned or worked on a dry stump style motor before.

i appreciate the help guys

powerbomb400
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I've got a RMX250 2 stroke too. I know what you a saying. When you say hole you are talking about the hole with a line that say upper?

636chris
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
yup that would be the hole im talking about lol