PDA

View Full Version : 05 ETON 90 Kickstart wont retract

jrns281
02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys,

My backup kickstart does not want to seem to cooperate. When I disassembled it I noticed the sprint had come off the half moon gear. Put it back in place and tried to start it. Well it goes down smoothly but then it just says there I and I need to literally put it back up. All gears look good with no broken teeth.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bloodswet&gears
02-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Take it all apart. Clean all the pieces and the case where the kick start shaft is. Use brake clean and compressed air. Then grease it with high temp grease. Put it back together.

Your spring may be weak. If cleaning and lubing it dont work then try the spring. Also make sure the bushing isnt worn.

EthansDad
02-15-2012, 09:06 PM
bloodsweat/gears is right there. this is a common problem, one I have to deal with about once a month with our ride schedule.

try this out -

in the CVT cover, you will see the larger gear, and the smaller one. take the smaller one out (might have to turn the kick a bit to get it loose) - it will just pull out by hand.

with the gear out - you will see a fork around it - spring like. pull that spring fork off.

clean the groove in the small gear and the circle part of the fork. I don't grease it because I don't want that grease to end up on my belt or variator. instead, I use sand paper and really smooth it.

assemble - kick and ride. that gives me about 1 month. I'm sure if I used grease it would last longer between fixes.

-EA

bloodswet&gears
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes. Just brush some grease on the moving parts. Not a handful packed in there or nothing like that. Sorry. Thanks. Haven't had trouble with it getting on anything else.

jrns281
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys will give your suggestions a try.

I appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge on these mini atv's.