PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket clutch basket?

400man
02-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Im gonna be putting a aftermarket clutch basket in my bike here soon but I dont know what brand I should go with? I dont want to spend $250+ on one and ive seen some as low as $130 on ebay. I know theres a couple different good brands out there. if anybody has any reviews on one good or bad post em up! Im gonna probably do the clutch basket when I pull my cylinder and send it to GT Thunder and have some hd studs put in cause ive been running with a blowed head gasket for awhile now.

DragonGunner
02-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Stick with the stock an get some heavy duty clutch springs...best bang for the buck.....I was told this by two different shops that built raced 400EX's over a decade ago....Istill have the original clutch basket AND clutch in my 99' EX with a zillion hours an several builds on it.

quadmanw
02-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm looking into buying this one. I really like GTT and Laz is a really good guy and stands by what he builds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-Thunder-400EX-8-Plate-clutch-kit-ATV-MX-XC-/370494887292?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564337557c&vxp=mtr

trailrider894
02-10-2012, 10:21 PM
If you are requiring for it to be aftermarket, just get the one that allows for the extra plate... I've been away from brand names for too long now... But I believe Sparks sells the 8 plate one?? CJM, Steve??? Maybe you guys can confirm that???

quadmanw
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Yeah, sparks does have an 8 plate fairly cheap but I do not know the advantages or anything about them lol

CJM
02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I just bought the 8 plate GT Thunder setup, sparks also sells the 8 plate too.

The advantage is more clutch material, better grip/hold vs the stock setup. Basically a HD clutch.

As for the baskets, they are just stronger. The stock basket can shatter but it takes quite alot of power unless something else decides to grenade it (not usually).

Unless your putting down stroker or 440 power you dont need either really. In my case Im putting down pretty high power and I cannot believe Im still on the stock (as far as I know) clutch, so I upgraded cause I was gonna do it anyways.