PDA

View Full Version : Ride height?

brewster426
02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Where should I put my ride height at? Im running Jansen/axis up front and axis standard travel/GTT rear setup? I'm running a arenacross race and the track is usually pretty smooth. Thanks!

dustin_j
02-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I prefer to set rear sag, then adjust front ride height from there. To measure sag, start with the quad on a stand so the rear shock is uncompressed. Have someone measure from the top of the axle, vertically, to a point on the subframe (make sure you mark the point or remember exactly where it is). This is measurement1. Now, place the quad on a level surface with the tires aired to race settings. Bounce on the pegs to settle the suspension, and stay standing on the pegs. Have your helper measure in the same way (top of axle to subframe), this is measurement2. Race Sag = measurement1 - measurement2.

Start with the spring seat just touching the spring (on the rear shock); this is minimal or no preload on the spring to provide a smooth ride. Have someone else take measurements, and check race sag with you standing on the pegs. Your race sag should be 4-5 inches. 4 inches would give a taller ride height and a little more bottom out resistance. 5 inches would give a lower ride height with a softer ride. If necessary, add preload to get in the window. If you need more than 6 turns of preload, you likely have too soft of a rear spring.

After sag is set, measure frame height near the footpegs and near the front of the frame (by A-arm rake). You want the front measurement 0.25" higher than the rear.

I hope this helps.
Dustin

brewster426
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks man. First time racing a bike with good suspension all the way around.

dustin_j
02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
No problem, if you have any more questions let me know. Good luck with the race.

mx Eli
02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I change my ride height based on track somtimes, a track with smaller jumps i go lower (6.75ish) and tracks with bigger jumps and deeper ruts i go alil higher 7.5,

also depends what you feel comfortable at, I like having my ride height low, but I have to stiffen my compression to compensate

brewster426
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks man..ive ran two of the events on my bike with stock shocks with a wide axle and +2 Burgard st shocks. I either won or ran 2nd to a guy on a full blown race bike. So hopefully this will give me my edge to check out on everyone.

mx Eli
02-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by brewster426
Thanks man..ive ran two of the events on my bike with stock shocks with a wide axle and +2 Burgard st shocks. I either won or ran 2nd to a guy on a full blown race bike. So hopefully this will give me my edge to check out on everyone.

haha ull never want to go back i promise! one thing I cant stress enough is just trying to adjust your shocks. on a practice day just do small changes to see what you like,

brewster426
02-10-2012, 10:38 PM
The rear setup I just got with the GTT linkage had some worn out bearings so I through my stock link on it. It's like 8.25 inches. There's quite a bit of preload in it but I'm going to try it out in practice tomorrow and tune it in at the track. It should be okay either way. Can't be any worse than what I'm used to riding.

dustin_j
02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by brewster426
The rear setup I just got with the GTT linkage had some worn out bearings so I through my stock link on it. It's like 8.25 inches. There's quite a bit of preload in it but I'm going to try it out in practice tomorrow and tune it in at the track. It should be okay either way. Can't be any worse than what I'm used to riding.

What weight was the rear shock setup for, and what do you weigh? The GTT link uses higher spring rates, so the back end might ride tall and stiff on a stock link. Try taking the preload off to make it work until you get new bearings.