PDA

View Full Version : XC Tires

TWILES
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm setting a 2008 up for XC racing and I want some input on tires. Things have really changed since I last looked at 6 ply tires. I really like the looks of the ITP Quadcross tires but the GNCC's are really catching my attention because I can get them in a 21" rear and 22" front and the rears aren't squared off. I've never ran an XC race before. I'm from western KY and used to ride in the river bottoms here and the 21 rears and 22 fronts would be perfect instead of 20 rears and 21 fronts. It gets muddy and rutted around here but again, I've never ran a race so, My question is - has anyone bought the 21" rear and 22" front GNCC ITP tires and what do you think? If not, what do you think about the 20" rear and 21" front GNCC ITPs?

Travis

ironman450r
02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
gncc 21 rear razer 2 22 in front

represent618
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
I am running the Kenda Kutter 20" and although a bit aggressive, they might be a good option from the description of terrain you ride in?

I have pulled through some massive mud and creeks with them.

I also don't do a lot of excessive spinning and revving, which I like in general, traction is always there.

fastredrider44
02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Where at in western KY? I'm in Murray. I race XC nearly every weekend and the tires of choice by most racers is 20 inch rear Razr1 and 21 inch front Razr2. Depending on your set up, you can go bigger, but it's really not necessary if you're racing against everyone else with the same tires as you.

trx400Rider
02-12-2012, 08:42 AM
My buddy has the 20 inch itp gncc's and they grab like no other. they do really good in mud and dirt. Never really clog up either.

HondaRacing83
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
GBC X REX. Very cost efficiant tires. same as razr 2's and like half the price. awesome and decently light for 6plys

TWILES
02-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Where at in western KY? I'm in Murray. I race XC nearly every weekend and the tires of choice by most racers is 20 inch rear Razr1 and 21 inch front Razr2. Depending on your set up, you can go bigger, but it's really not necessary if you're racing against everyone else with the same tires as you.

I live in Dexter. I'm from south Marshall Co. Houses are cheaper in Calloway so we crossed the boarder when we got married...

it's really not necessary if you're racing against everyone else with the same tires as you.

I love this ^^^^^.

It will be a few months before I make it to a race. I plan on just running the stock tires a time or two and get a good idea of what I want. We had a baby in November and I'm a little on the poe side to be trying to race but I should be able to get the bike together by the fall and hit the Mid South races. I'm just going to piddle around through the summer.

Thanks everybody

XC_Racer_129
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I run 22" razr 2's up front and 20" razr's in the rear. I love the setup. I ran razr 2's in the rear for a while and it was unnecessary extra weight and you don't get any more traction.

I also tried out GNCC's on the rear 2 seasons ago. They gripped awesome but they only lasted 2 races before lugs started to rip off...two were completely gone and most of the rest were starting to rip. I'll never buy ITP again.