PDA

View Full Version : Gncc leaving AMA

Longdong
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
So what is your views on the gncc leaving the AMA? Good, bad, not going to matter. I have mixed view, they did help out with the "youth lead laws". But they seem from all the post on here they are a pain to deal with.

chunky0071
02-09-2012, 07:14 AM
I don't see where it is a bad thing the GNCC only used part of the AMA ATVA rules any way. Plus lot of series are dropping AMA due to the recent raise the AMA President voted in for their self.

chunky0071
02-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Keep in mind they are not telling you to not be an AMA member they are just not requiring you to be one!

Ride1Rob
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
So is that a good or a bad thing?

Ryko racing
02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I dont know if this is good or bad. Over the years the AMA has done a lot to keep us riding. Plus they are heavily involved in the congress . I hope this all works out.

i FOR ONE AM NOT CONCERNED WHAT A CEO MAKES AS LONG AS HE/SHE DOES THEIR JOB HONESTLY AND THE ENTITY THAT THEY MANAGE PROSPERS.

chunky0071
02-09-2012, 04:22 PM
I would not care about a CEO ether but the AMA is not a company it's an organization! If our money is being spent more for raises than for the issues. Besides ATV's have always been a dark horse to the AMA they do what they do because of the bikes not the quads! Or they would be trying to help companies like Apex, DRR, Cobra, EX EX.

Ryko racing
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
without them we are in trouble with the govt. there is power in numbers ( both sides).

I just hope its not just the promoters because the promoters are in it for them . I dont think they would be spending as much time dealing with congressman protecting our rights....

lets hope it works.

skyeryder
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I think this could be bad and probably won't be awhile before you see the results of it. I know at just the Ironman GNCC there is over a 1000 bikes and quads that's alot of riders paying AMA fees. Yes they do favor bikes over quads but when it comes to protecting our land they are all we have. Is the Coombs family going to stand on the White House lawn and lobby for us????

LT80
02-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Promotor discretion. That's why they can run their own rules.
Does the AMA help out Honda or Yamahahaha? Why would they help out DRR, Apex, etc.?
BTW, I thought they did help them with their "homogogenizing" of the rules on race legal machines.

I don't know what the effect will be on the GNCC racers but I do hope the AMA/ATVA OR US as racers does not suffer from it.

We NEED the AMA! Any youth riding anything should thank them.

Bikes vs quads.
Of course bikes are number 1. They represent at least 30-40 times the amount of memberships than quad rider member ships.
What do we have for ATVA memberships? 5000 or so at any given time?

Anyone know what brought this on?

chunky0071
02-10-2012, 07:09 AM
From what I understand many race promoters do not agree with what is going on inside the AMA that we don't see. I know that one of the series we run said that they would not require AMA membership this because of the board raises that where voted in for them self. That be said I am not trying to say that the AMA has not helped us all! From the way I see it is many of the Promoters are trying to send a message. The GNCC for one only ran a limited amount of AMA rules for the bikes or quads for the most part they run their own class rules.

And LT80 yes they have helped out Honda and Yamaha.

Longdong
02-10-2012, 07:17 AM
This is what Mike (owner of Maxc) posted on the www.themaxc.com website about the topic.
There has been alot of talk lately about the GNCC not requiring AMA memberships for the 2012 season. MAXC is and will be an AMA sanctioned series in 2012. I know alot of riders who think that the fees we pay for the membership does nothing for them, especially new comers to our sport. AMA is our voice at the congressional level. AMA was very instrumental in the lead law reversal, there also is alot of other organizations involved in these matters. ABATE of Indiana is also another organization that works for the rights of motorcyclist and trail riders. MAXC was started with the intent to create a series that would work with organizations like both of these mentioned to help preserve the right to ride on private and public land. If we dont support the people who fight for our rights to do this we will one day not have places to hold events that racers and our families enjoy on the weekends.
Â_ Â_ MAXC has been an AMA sanctioned series since it started a few years ago. Yes there is sanctioning fees and charter fees. These fees are minimal compared to not having an organization of this calliber behind us. Again the most important thing AMA brings to our sport is the work they put in fighting the people who want to stop motorcycle riders and trail riders from enjoying the sport. They are your voice through your memberships. If all the riding clubs and race series decide that they need to save all their supporters the cost of an AMA membership, we wont see the impact of this in a year or so but when we realize the effect this will have down the road it will be really hard to reverse it..We like to ride and race so we need to support the AMA and ABATE and all others who fight for our rights to ride!!! Forty nine dollars is cheap when you think about a five thousand dollar plus bike that you can't ride anywhere!

Ryko racing
02-10-2012, 07:33 AM
VERY WELL SAID..... I TOTALLY AGREE. IN THE 70 S THE AMA AND CCC BASICALLY SAVED OFF ROAD RIDING IN MICHIGAN BY FIGHTING THE POLITICAL OPPOSITON.

EthansDad
02-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I too think that what mike @ marx said is spot on.

If our series is AMA run or not, I'm still paying the AMA their dues. I know without them, I sure ain't going to go fight congress by myself.

We went to the AMA champions event last year for the first time - basically an awards thing for ALL that the AMA sanctions. I was amazed how diverse the racing coverage was - I had no idea. yes, it was mostly bikes, but MX on bikes was a small part. TT racing, hill climb guys, land speed record holders - all sorts of crazy stuff. compared to all the weird sports they cover, believe me, ATVs are NOT on the bottom of their list!

As far as will their coverage help/not help an events - I doubt it change anything for GNCC racing. the AMA does have promoter packages and dues that are WAY high compared to memberships. BUT they do offer up liability protection, some insurance options, and other things to help "package" an event for a promoter.

IF I was to start up a small series -job bobs racing and stuff - I'd go the AMA route - they have it all figured out. plus, people that don't know "job bob" would see AMA event - and know we'd be playing fair / run well. If I was big time - like GNCC and had been doing for 10 years - I might branch out and do it my way cause by that time I'd likely find a cheaper/bettter-for-me way to cover what they cover.

here is the AMA promoter stuff - boring - but can see a LOT of detail they offer up about how to run an event.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/ClubsAndPromoters/BecomeAPromoter.aspx

Hetrick Racing
02-12-2012, 09:22 AM
WE NEED THE AMA (.)

Ryko racing
02-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Well said Rich. Im paying my dues. We have been through this before in Michigan .......no fun......

skyeryder
02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
We had a local series banquet Saturday night and they made about a 10-15min speech about the AMA so there must be alot more going on behind the scenes. They being Reads Racing were in favor of the AMA and what they do for us.

Longdong
02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by skyeryder
We had a local series banquet Saturday night and they made about a 10-15min speech about the AMA so there must be alot more going on behind the scenes. They being Reads Racing were in favor of the AMA and what they do for us.

Not to change the subject but are you going run any maxc this year?

skyeryder
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I hope that we can run some MWXC's and some of the closer MAXC's we are in greencastle. The only thing is Josh wants to concentrate on MX so we are going to try Nationals

FISH ON!
02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Interesting to note that GNCC also dropped the homologation requirement. I wonder what kind of doors that has opened??? :D

skyeryder
02-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Does that mean a 250r can line up on pro row

838xcracer
02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Just a question,it may sound dumb but I was wondering. If a rider wins the class and is the class champion for the year. Will he be a National Champion and recieve a #1 National number plate for the year? Because if not why race their series?

Ryko racing
02-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I heard that the big deal was that the gncc series wanted to be able to offer a weekend membership to racers that wanted to compete only 1 time per year. Obviously the AMA declined and that is what supposedly started this controversy.

Lets hope that all the parties involved find some sort of agreement as we need numbers to protect our sport.

mmsoup
02-22-2012, 06:12 PM
We have raced GNCC and will continue to race GNCC

But putting the AMA aside is a shame

Most of us LOVE to watch AMA SUPERCROSS on weekends............

The biggest spectacle in offroad stuck around so what's next for Rita and Sam? Drop AMA from the outdoor Motocross?

Is Racer Productions going to advocate for powersports?
Is Victory Sports gonna join them and help look after the sport?