PDA

View Full Version : HS sports hang up.

finsteratv
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Alright guys well winter sports are winding down and i've been getting hammered by spring coaches, specifically Lacrosse and Track. I set the new freshmen record for XC running at our school and was top of varsity this year also. I've always been talented in running and really do enjoy it. Lacrosse i've played for 3 years and i'm really good at it too, I was on a 2nd team last year coached by the varsity highschool coach and he's wanting me to play lacrosse but has heard about me thinking about track...I'm really split down the middle here and have literally no idea which to choose, i have friends who do lacrosse but alot of the guys are "bro's" and just piss me off. Any advice from the older guys? Thanks.

HondaRacing83
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Don't know what to tell you there man sorry Austin. I play HS Volleyball, and run track to stay in shape. Next year I can finally play soccer for the school instead of all these ****ty travel leagues and sutff. I can play lacrosse in the highschool next year, never played it kinda curious might try it.

finsteratv
02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
It's a really fun sport, my mom says i could skip this year and even go back to lacrosse next year and be fine..haha..I'm a pretty natural athlete and can pretty much do any sport not to sound like a cocky S.O.B.

BlasterEaten250
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Do whichever one you will have more fun in.

finsteratv
02-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Thats the hard part..both of the coaches are all fun coaches with good programs..what im looking at though is I'd be varsity for track and Frosh/JV swinger for lacrosse.

ben300
02-08-2012, 08:18 PM
what are you better at? and if so, is there a possibility for future tuition assistance for doing said sport?....

coaches trying to pull you one way from the other is always ****ty....HS coaches can be some faggot *** mother ****ers!....i was a good pole vaulter adn sprinter in track in HS and could could have competed at the D2/D3 level.....

..our head HS coach pissed me off my senior year. i wanted to do other stuff and he was giving me **** about it so i quit....i knew i was totally not interested in sports at the college level, and i realized the coach was a d bag and was only looking to pad his winning record.....so i quit and it was one of the best decisions i had ever made in my life up until that point....i wasnt stressed out..i could go and enjoy other activities that i liked.....

im not telling you to do that..im just saying...be cautious of what coaches tell you

finsteratv
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Thats what i was looking for, and in lacrosse i could probably get scholarship offers if i kept playing but with track I'm pretty sure i will. In cross country there's scouting agents wanting me already to set up with colleges as a freshmen haha..Sometimes i wish i didnt play sports because i could then ride hunt camp fish whenever i want. But being a 12 sport with good grades is the track im trying for.

Jimbo M
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I played football in high school and ran track. I went to college on a partial track scholarship which helped my parents out (two older brothers in college at the time). Actually had colleges recruiting me which was kind of cool. This was a long time ago - I'm now 53 and still run - in pretty good shape for a 53 y.o.! If I could do over again I would have run XC instead of playing football. Probably could have gotten a full ride back then. I loved running track in HS and college and miss it to this day. I'll tell you - running XC and track in college is hard. Had some brutal workouts and put in a ton of milage. But I wish I could do it all over again. You got to ask yourself - when your 45, 50, 55 will you still be playing lacrosse? Its a tough decision to make. What ever decision you make - wether it be lacrosse or track - do it with 100% effort. You'll be glad you did.

HondaRacing83
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
this is freaky.. same exact boat. found out today at my volleyball meeting that they are doing a middle school lacrosse team. but it runs hand and hand with track so its one or the other..

johnnyquad17
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Do whatever sport you have the best chance in getting a college ride in. College w/out some help is really expensive as I'm sure you already know. This is what I decided when I was in your shoes 20 years ago. Lol Good luck!

finsteratv
02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks to my grandparents and parents paying for college i dont have to worry about it...but a scholarship is a scholarship! I'm starting to sway more towards track, Lacrosse really wants me and I have great potential but i have natural talent in track..

chronicsmoke
02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I played for 14 years and played Junior B Lax up here for a bit, it takes significant skill to move up from there. I was just a grinder and penalty kill player (Box Lax) but the best of our guys went and played Junior A. But those guys were CRAZY talented.. could play with the opposite hand as well as their good hand.. and like 4-5 of them got scholarships, so it is possible. I know a guy that I went to HS with that plays in the NLL.. talk about skill.. WOW:eek2:

finsteratv
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I played for 14 years and played Junior B Lax up here for a bit, it takes significant skill to move up from there. I was just a grinder and penalty kill player (Box Lax) but the best of our guys went and played Junior A. But those guys were CRAZY talented.. could play with the opposite hand as well as their good hand.. and like 4-5 of them got scholarships, so it is possible. I know a guy that I went to HS with that plays in the NLL.. talk about skill.. WOW:eek2: Well you are in Canada..It's like dry land hockey :eek: haha i can play off hand but not as good as dominant and probably not to the level of those guys. I played mid-field and was the fastest and one who could stay in the longest haha..but..track no D-bags can hold you back like a bunch of guys on our lax team..

chronicsmoke
02-10-2012, 05:50 AM
haha yah Box lacrosse is big up here, but I live beside a Native American reserve too.. and ALLLL of them grow up with a stick in their hand, they are all so talented. There are at least a dozen players in the NLL from the area, my buddy was the youngest to ever play in a national title game (18 yrs) but he is a freak of nature haha, nobody should have hand-eye coordination like that. :grr:

Enjoy it while you can, Austin. I haven't been able to play for 2 years (too old now) and it killls me.. :(

Lasher
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I am 40...so this is coming from an "old" guy.

In highschool, we had to play a sport (no gym class) each season. Soccer in the fall (just played for fun)
Hockey in the winter, was heavily recruited to Div I schools. Played my whole life.
Lacrosse in the spring. I started playing (longstick defence) my sophmore year and by senior year I was all New England and could pick my school if I wanted to keep playing. But hockey was my main sport.

I still play hockey in a men's league and would love to go back playing lacrosse but there are not many leagues around here that I know of.

If you want to go to college, and track is your golden ticket and your first love in sports. Stick with it. I did not get a full ride (long story) but it is a big thing to get college for free.

chronicsmoke
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
I still play hockey in a men's league and would love to go back playing lacrosse but there are not many leagues around here that I know of.

Yah hockey is fun because there is a large amout of guys that can play. I play in a beer league too for some cardio during the winter..

I wish there was like a Senior 'C' league or something for lacrosse. They are just starting a Senior 'B' team, but those guys are still amazing.. all junior A and some old pro's are making the roster...

79400ex
02-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Is there anyway you can do both?? I have seen a few that ran track and played soccur in girl and boys here.

finsteratv
02-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah i've asked multiple times about swinging both but for lacrosse last season i played on 2 teams practiced 6 days a week and had tournaments everyweekend along with normal season stuff. Over all it blew. If i played LAX this year I'd once again be on 2 teams frosh/JV and I just feel like that would take up alot of my time again. Then again the lacrosse coach has been e-mailing my parents/me about lacrosse and wanting me to play but i feel like i'd probably get really stretched again. Lacrosse is just too involved to do with track unless i wanted to do track and tennis..haha