PDA

View Full Version : Entering the work world.

HondaRacing83
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Welp, I'm 14, and my moms going to the school with friday to get my working papers. I can get a job at Kings, a local restaurant that is about a couple miles from my house. I could probably get a job at one of my dads friends tools shop shoveling chips. Or I could wait till summer and my dads buddy wants to get someone in his auto body shop washing cars. Thats just off the top of my head. I would love love love to get a job at the local dealership that is kinda close to me but you proabbaly have to be 16 for that. It'd be cool to get one at the local quad and bike shop doing something, my dad actually knows the people that owns that to. But idk how old id have to be for that. What are some things I should look for in the work world? What should be some things i should look for in a job? Thanks for any info. I dont really need a job, I actually just want one lol. I want to put more money into my 400, buy a dirtbike in the summer, and buy a snowmobile in the winter. I'm still gonna do my side deals with electronics and stuff to. Then in the fall I'm gonna cut wood for my grandparents. That is if they dont get a pellet stove..

Drfat400ex
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Not too much to look for, as long as you don't hate what your doing, then it's great! I used to hate my job and dread going to work, then I started doing different things at the same place and now I love it! Even if you don't like it at the start, look at some of the other activities to do where you're working, if you see things that interest you and after a while you will probably get into doing that and love it! Good luck anyways!

CJM
02-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Take whatever pays the most, however working for friends isnt always ideal either.

I worked in a butcher shop as my first real on the books job. It was disgusting work but they let me work 60 hours a week which was highly illegal for a minor even in the summer but so what lol.

Just enjoy what ya do or at least not dread it.

HondaRacing83
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Take whatever pays the most, however working for friends isnt always ideal either.

I worked in a butcher shop as my first real on the books job. It was disgusting work but they let me work 60 hours a week which was highly illegal for a minor even in the summer but so what lol.

Just enjoy what ya do or at least not dread it. Yeah I know I thought about that to. But my dads friends I'm all comfortable with and if I was doing something wrong they would yell at me and if they did fire me for whatever reason my dad would look at me and said it was my fault. But I'm actually really concerned working afterschool and stuff that I wont have enough time to ride my 400 and new bike? I wont work weekends. But seriously im worried this might like drain me. Work from like 4-9, then do hw, then sleep and get up at 6 am everyday for 5 days a week. I can get a job at a mexican restaurant right up the road from me, but my parents wont let me because they know them and think ill be there little drug runner. dont blame them

Drfat400ex
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Yeah I know I thought about that to. But my dads friends I'm all comfortable with and if I was doing something wrong they would yell at me and if they did fire me for whatever reason my dad would look at me and said it was my fault. But I'm actually really concerned working afterschool and stuff that I wont have enough time to ride my 400 and new bike? I wont work weekends. But seriously im worried this might like drain me. Work from like 4-9, then do hw, then sleep and get up at 6 am everyday for 5 days a week. I can get a job at a mexican restaurant right up the road from me, but my parents wont let me because they know them and think ill be there little drug runner. dont blame them
Working that many hours would be kind of draining, I only work around 4 - 7hrs a week during the school year, but in the summer when I'm farming it's at least 70hrs a week, one week belive it or not we were in a rush to get the wheat done and we did 110hrs! I'd look for maybe 2hrs after school for a few nights a week then maybe the odd saturday, then work in the summer. Or maybe wait for a job that you wouldn't be a drug runner that has some less hours. The thing with working for friends is if you get fired, your relationship with the person will forever be different.

HondaRacing83
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
Working that many hours would be kind of draining, I only work around 4 - 7hrs a week during the school year, but in the summer when I'm farming it's at least 70hrs a week, one week belive it or not we were in a rush to get the wheat done and we did 110hrs! I'd look for maybe 2hrs after school for a few nights a week then maybe the odd saturday, then work in the summer. Or maybe wait for a job that you wouldn't be a drug runner that has some less hours. The thing with working for friends is if you get fired, your relationship with the person will forever be different. Yeah I'd be working 25 hrs a week. Maybe I'll just do like 20hrs a week. Which I kinda dont like, with working 25hrs I'd be making like $200 a week. without taxes. Thats at minimum wage to. Hows this whole thing work out, kinda figuring i dont get paid in cash. Do i have to like open a checking account?

Drfat400ex
02-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Well I get paid in checks, I really have no clue what kind of account I have, as far as I know I just have a regular bank account, maybe things are different in the US as far as bank accounts but really I don't know.

Ruby Soho
02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
pick whatever you dont mind doing the most.

250rsforlife
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
this might sound dumb but find a job doing something you dont like that much so you can come home an still like to ride and work on your own quads an not do it all the time and get bored with it

BoneStockHonda
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Majority of dealership jobs require you to be at least 18.

And don't do something you don't like. I've been working at a pizzeria for a few years and absolutely hate it. I used to work 5, sometimes 6 or 7 days a week from 3:30-10 on weekdays and 3:30-12 on Fridays and Saturdays all while in high school. I finally snapped towards the end of senior year and went and applied at a bunch of car dealerships. My manager at the pizzeria was cool and let me keep one day a week there. Just a little pointer is always keep your options open.

Good luck.

HondaRacing83
02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks! I'd really like to work at the auto body shop, seeings how my boss would take me to work because hes my neighbor lol.

CJM
02-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Id look to work about 15-20 hours max a week, specially for a first job.

I have worked over 120 hours in one week and it is not fun but was GREAT money while it was there.

Work on the weekend, do a night shift so you can still have the day or do the day shift and enjoy the night. Whatever job it is it means an extra day you can work at school work then.

Right now I go to college M, Tues, Thu like 3 hours a night and have homework (its honestly harder work but ALOT less than HS ever was) and I work W, F, Sat about 9-12 hours. I also pick up some shifts sometimes but rather focus on school and getting good grades.

Stickman400
02-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Whatever you do, don't get a job at a steel foundry unless you REALLY need the money. I just started working at one and it is like you're in hell. I don't have to many complaints about it, but if you don't like working in hot conditions, near large chunk of 500 lbs. of hanging metal, dirt and dust in the air the whole time your at work, working 7 days a week/56 hours a week WITHOUT overtime, you won't want to stay for more than 10 minutes. I know you prolly don't live near one, but just a heads up later down the road, or to anyone else on here reading this.

250x_kyle
02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
But I'm actually really concerned working afterschool and stuff that I wont have enough time to ride my 400 and new bike?

welcome to life. ive had my hybrid build on the stand for over a year at this point. now picture some of the guys on here who work full time jobs with over time have a family and they still get a winter rebuild in.

Quad18star
02-08-2012, 10:39 PM
To offer a little advise .... if you take a job at a dealership, I'll almost bet my last dollar that you will lose interest in riding. I did it for years working in the powersports industry. When you put in a 10 hour day dealing with everyone elses junk, you don't want to deal with your own machines when you get home.

250x_kyle
02-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
To offer a little advise .... if you take a job at a dealership, I'll almost bet my last dollar that you will lose interest in riding. I did it for years working in the powersports industry. When you put in a 10 hour day dealing with everyone elses junk, you don't want to deal with your own machines when you get home.

the exact reason i wont by a car off a mechanic

ben300
02-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeah I know I thought about that to. But my dads friends I'm all comfortable with and if I was doing something wrong they would yell at me and if they did fire me for whatever reason my dad would look at me and said it was my fault. But I'm actually really concerned working afterschool and stuff that I wont have enough time to ride my 400 and new bike? I wont work weekends. But seriously im worried this might like drain me. Work from like 4-9, then do hw, then sleep and get up at 6 am everyday for 5 days a week. I can get a job at a mexican restaurant right up the road from me, but my parents wont let me because they know them and think ill be there little drug runner. dont blame them

if your talking about compadre's......the dudes that own that place are legit as ****.....they have three of the most profitable mexican food restaraunt businesses in our area.....

they do look shady though, ill agree, haha

HondaRacing83
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by ben300
if your talking about compadre's......the dudes that own that place are legit as ****.....they have three of the most profitable mexican food restaraunt businesses in our area.....

they do look shady though, ill agree, haha Yup haha Compadres. i know the people that owns it. im good friends with the owners kid, and i could have a job there easy and its only a couple miles from my places. but it is shady, ive seen what goes on in that kitchen to lol.. kings isnt that far away either though just right down the road. ill prob be washing dishes or something

ben300
02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Yup haha Compadres. i know the people that owns it. im good friends with the owners kid, and i could have a job there easy and its only a couple miles from my places. but it is shady, ive seen what goes on in that kitchen to lol.. kings isnt that far away either though just right down the road. ill prob be washing dishes or something

dude...all restaurants and kitchens are shady...if you really saw what most places you ate at looked like in back, you'd never eat out....EVER

Ruby Soho
02-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Whatever you do, don't get a job at a steel foundry unless you REALLY need the money. I just started working at one and it is like you're in hell. I don't have to many complaints about it, but if you don't like working in hot conditions, near large chunk of 500 lbs. of hanging metal, dirt and dust in the air the whole time your at work, working 7 days a week/56 hours a week WITHOUT overtime, you won't want to stay for more than 10 minutes. I know you prolly don't live near one, but just a heads up later down the road, or to anyone else on here reading this.

my old man did a job at one of those. i believe replacing the **** that holds the ladle (i guess thats what yo ucall it) and he said it was one dirty place lol, they were doing 7/10s and he said it really sucked. however i wouldnt mind going to one to see how the steel is poured and formed.

HondaRacing83
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ben300
dude...all restaurants and kitchens are shady...if you really saw what most places you ate at looked like in back, you'd never eat out....EVER yeah I know. i think its pretty official ill be working at kings. im glad child labor laws say i can only work till 7. because i dont limit myself and would work till like 10 just to make the most money and blow it all on the 400 by the weekend. so 4-7 5 days a week ill be working 15 hours a week, at minimum wage with taces taken out ill be making about $100 a week. not bad. im pretty happy. my dad knows the guy that manages kings and can get me in, my mom picked me up an application to me. god my dad knows a lot of people. ill probably be washing dishes or something

Ruby Soho
02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Id look to work about 15-20 hours max a week, specially for a first job.

I have worked over 120 hours in one week and it is not fun but was GREAT money while it was there.

Work on the weekend, do a night shift so you can still have the day or do the day shift and enjoy the night. Whatever job it is it means an extra day you can work at school work then.

Right now I go to college M, Tues, Thu like 3 hours a night and have homework (its honestly harder work but ALOT less than HS ever was) and I work W, F, Sat about 9-12 hours. I also pick up some shifts sometimes but rather focus on school and getting good grades.

120 my god. most i've done is 70. not that bad in all honesty. if you like what your doing it wont be either

Tommy Warren
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
120 my god. most i've done is 70. not that bad in all honesty. if you like what your doing it wont be either

I work 70 every week through the winter so I only have to work 50 hours through the summer...nothing else to do in the winter. even though the government take 1/3 of my paycheck its still a healthy one. 1500 a week after taxes is pretty decent for a truck driver....the only thing that sucks is getting up at 3 and going to bed at 10

CJM
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Yea it was alot of work. But it was when I was a tow truck operator. My time could be summed up as:
-Sleeping, goofing off, eating or whatever 20-30%
-Actual work 35-50%
-Driving to a call for service or driving the car to destination 35-50%

So I wasnt working all that hard. Same company I work for today and I worked 9 hours the other day-in all actuality I sat about 70% of that time doing whatever and only worked 30%. Time goes by fast when its busy tho.

Also the area the company I worked for covered was near my house and friends and my boss used to throw bbqs and stuff during the summer or invited us to dinner sometimes. he knows it sucks to sit in a truck and wait.

Area I work now sucks, Im 20 miles from home always, but Im driving a service truck, no trips out of the area.

Stickman400
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
my old man did a job at one of those. i believe replacing the **** that holds the ladle (i guess thats what yo ucall it) and he said it was one dirty place lol, they were doing 7/10s and he said it really sucked. however i wouldnt mind going to one to see how the steel is poured and formed. Yea, it's a dirty s.o.b. I work about 50 foot from the guys that pour red hot molten lava into casts. I take castings out of a tub (that came out of a shot blast machine) and sort them out into smaller tubs where they go. Then I have to sweep or work on the blast machine the rest of the time, or run around on a fork lift. For some reason they take 2,000 degree heated metal out of an oven and set it down 5 foot away from me. It feels like I'm standing on top of a fire when they put that next to me.

CJM
02-10-2012, 04:00 PM
^ Honestly unless I was paid VERY well I dont think I could even take that job..feeling lime your on fire is not fun. BTDT have the t-shirt.

Ruby Soho
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I work 70 every week through the winter so I only have to work 50 hours through the summer...nothing else to do in the winter. even though the government take 1/3 of my paycheck its still a healthy one. 1500 a week after taxes is pretty decent for a truck driver....the only thing that sucks is getting up at 3 and going to bed at 10

lol yeah the more you make the more they take.

we did 70hrs a week for a month straight at work. we had to build a crane tower for FPL (florida power & light). well, actually for another company, that went to fpl. it was for some nuclear plant where they had to service and move the stuff there for a scheduled shut down of the plant. we got the drawings for it in november and planned to start before december, but they changed so much stuff and delayed so much we didnt get the final drawings till the first of january. tower was due no later than 1/27.

it was a custom tower about 30ft tall that clamped to a concerete slab somewhere in the plant. all over engineered because of the situation. we put about 1000lbs of weld in it. no kidding. ended up weighing in alittle over 20 tons. definitely a cool project but very detailed. and with the time frame we got it was alot of stress.

for those interested...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/towerk.jpg/

Stickman400
02-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Yea, I'm gettin' 12.80 an hour. That's minimum at where I work. I could be gettin around 16 an hour, but I got stuck on a ***** job. I don't think it's worth it either, but $600 a week is the best job you can get around here by miles, even though it is a living hell while you're in there. I'll atleast stay there until I can pay off a new truck and then a little more in the bank. Then find another decent paying job that's a helluva lot easier.