PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a 440EX cool?

Nate105
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey,
I was wondering what is everyone doing to keep the 440ex cooler I still need to do this its starting to get warmer in northern wisconsin. what is the best way to keep them cool.

CJM
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Larger oil tank, CFM or UM makes somenice ones. be warned they are a total pain to install but well worth it.

Spal puller fan 4". Buy it on ebay, they are somewhat spendy but will cool the oil cooler quite nicely

Larger oil cooler, gotta find one with the same approx dimensions but thicker if you can, also may need adapters or to cut the lines and splice themor whatever. this is the most worthwhile of the bunch, but also the hardest to do due to parts and whatnot. There used to be some off the shelf kits but they have all but driedup.

Add an auxilliary oil cooler, such as a tranmission cooler found on say a truck. Add it in line and mount it to the front frame.

If you check the link inmy signature I think some of these mods are shown in detail. Or you can try searching.

Keeping the bike properly jetted is key here, to lean and you will fry the engine.

JOHNDOE83
02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I dont have a bigger cooler I used a fan once in awhile but didnt need it.

My trick is jetting like cjm said, it runs at the same temps a stockish 400ex would run.

I also once in awhile during the summer time use 100+ octane, it keeps it a lil cooler in 98 degree Florida weather.

Nate105
02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
what about air scoops and spal fan would that be a good combo?

CJM
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Air scoops are really worthless honestly. The spal fan does work.

But like john and I said, if you jet it right you will be fine.

2001400exrida
02-07-2012, 07:09 PM
i've seen MX 440's that run just fine with no extra cooling, but those are quick 15 min. races and they are usually moving.

in the woods you would want to look into a fan at least. The 400's get hot the way it is, it's worth it to keep it cool.

some claim higher octane fuel keeps the motor cool, it's mostly the additives in race fuel that keep the motor cool. Running a higher octane on a lower compression motor that does not require it, is pointless. depending on your compression, running 100 or higher octane is going to be a waste.

Ruby Soho
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
i had a 440 with no extra cooling. the jetting was spot on but it never once over heated on me. on the track, in the woods, in the pits all day every day. keep good oil in it no problems.

and its getting warm in northern wisconsin in february?:huh

honda400ex2003
02-07-2012, 11:18 PM
jet it properly and ride it with no mods :D

steve

Nate105
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
yea its february but it feels like march or april the snowmobile trails are all grass have almost no snow now. why does the 440 get the bad name of over heating and blowing up?

CJM
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Nate105
yea its february but it feels like march or april the snowmobile trails are all grass have almost no snow now. why does the 440 get the bad name of over heating and blowing up?

Cause people dont jet properly and its to lean and cooks the cylinder/piston and rings.