PDA

View Full Version : just got a 300ex project quad! need some help!

1995bigblack
02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
i just got a 300ex project bike i traded off a set of wheels i had. this things pretty rough but i think it does have potential, i hope..

first things first all the wiring ismessed up on it so ill be needing to find a wiring diagram on it to see if i can even get it started.

next i know its a 300ex, atleast im almost positive it is but how can i tell for sure and where is the vin number located at on these bikes? how do i tell what year they are?

im probably gonna need a battery so what kind do these take?

thanks for all the help guys. ill have some pics up later in the week.

b0rn c0nfused
02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
The vin should be on the front of the frame by the front bumper. How to tell what year it is? If it hasn't been pealed off there should be a sticker on the left side of the frame by the gas tank. If no sticker you should be able to run the vin number online some where and find out. Maybe hondas web site??

1995bigblack
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
yeah no sticker, moron before me decided to paint entire bike flat black...

i got the vin though. im assuming its an older model though. it has a metal gas tank?

b0rn c0nfused
02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Mines a 2000 and has a meatal gas tank. I don't know what year they switched to plastic. Good luck with it though. Post some pictures soon!

1995bigblack
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to get some pics soon. It's pretty rough but for free I can't really complain although I'm sure I will. Like i said someone painted it all flat black. Shocks frame, all of it. Seat is covered with ductape. Front fenders are shaved, the back has a hole burn in it by the exhaust pipe I'm guessing, and the exhaust pipe was rusted so It looks like they rigged it up. Also there's a handle rigged up going down the left hand side down next to the shifter? I'm guessing this is maybe a reverse mod of some type maybe?

But everything's there for the most part. Plan is to fix it up pretty decent and ride and play around with it and then ultimately sell it.

smr
02-07-2012, 06:33 AM
to tell for sure it's a 300ex look for the starter. If it has a electric start it's a 300ex. Since you said you needed a battery I would say it's a 300ex.

Don't know for 100% but they switched to plastic around 2006 or 2007. I used to know but can't remember.

What color is your plastic. We might be able to pin down a year model (or get close) by that.

1995bigblack
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Looked like it was blue? Maybe red? I've got the vin number on the frame and found a site that had the code. It was too dark last night to see it.

1995bigblack
02-07-2012, 12:59 PM
alright i checked out the vin number, appears to be a 98!

i got home today, the battery is shot so ill be needing to pick one up from walmart later. anyone know the part number off the top of their head?

what year parts will work? any of them?

i got home today and was messing around with it to see about the wiring because it is the worst mess ive ever seen! im not good with wiring and alot of the wires have been stripped and cut and everything else so i will probably be ordering a good looking one off of ebay. will an 07 harness work? it has no lights anywhere on it. will i need to change anything? a good looking harness should just be plug and play right?

1995bigblack
02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
anyone know if the 07 harness will work?