PDA

View Full Version : motor help

sherman07
02-05-2012, 10:39 PM
i am trying to remove the motor from my 03 400ex. i cant get the back bolt out. it is the bolt on the bottom of the motor that conects the swing arm to the frame. i got the nut off of the one end but i cant get the bold head to turn at all. any suggestions?????

CJM
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
PBlaster and lots of it sprayed all over the bolt, inside the swingarm (theres a small gap) where the bolt rides, etc. Once you got it soaked for a few days you need an impact gun, might break it free.

If nothing works your gonna need to cut it out with a grinder or the likes.

sherman07
02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
i tried to turn it with a socket and breaker bar but it was just rounding the nut off and yes it was the right sized socket. do you know if its threaded in there or it i could try to knock it out from the end where the nut was???

CJM
02-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Its not threaded in there. They seize in there b/c the bolts made of a different material than the swinger.

You could try tapping it out with another bolt or something if you want. An impact should make it come off tho. Otherwise like I said you may have to cut it out.

Duke400ex
02-06-2012, 06:34 AM
The impact wrench will be your best bet. You have said that you used a breaker bar and the difference will be that the impact will create that throbbing vibrations that will allow the seizing to break apart. If you are going to try beating it out make sure to use a brass pin or something soft so you dont "mushroom" out the bolt or screw up the threads.
If that does not work you could try heating it up but you will have to be careful not to apply too much heat.

When you do finally get it out make sure you clean it up and put never seize on it and you will not have this problem again. GOOD LUCK

Thumpin440ex
02-06-2012, 07:22 AM
It needs to be punched or more then likely pressed out. They can be a real pita, more times then not.

John

sherman07
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Ok impact didn't work
Sprayed pb blaster on bold many times. It won't pound out either hit opposite end with mini sledge still wouldn't move.
What now??????
Where am I sapose to cut it at??

JOHNDOE83
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Be ready to replace the bolt and all the bushings and spacers possibly even the whole swingarm.

I had to cut mine out and actually wound up having to cut the swingarm off at the right side to get it off.

Mine was bent and frozen in place, luckily I was raplacing the whole swingarm and bushings, spacers anyway so I didnt have to order any parts.

Its a good thing stock swingarms are a decent price on ebay.

I hope you have better luck then me.