PDA

View Full Version : new motor - smoking like a freight train

Jake250ex
02-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Just build my 05 motor, new crank, 96mm wiseco, new sleeve...

got it all together and fired it up today and it smokes worse than anything ive ever seen. It runs good, seems to rev clean and everything but its literally blowing oil out of the exhaust the smoke is that thick.

The only thing i can think of is the oil rings are screwed up. they were a PAIN to get in... Ive used JE's and vertex pistons before and had the rings on and in the cyl within a few minutes by myself... with this wiseco it took me and a buddy pushing in on the rings and took a million times and the oil rings kept popping out of the grooves. But I figured it wouldnt move freely in the cylinder if the rings were out of place? pretty pissed, this thing is nickle and diming me to death.

eastside 400
02-05-2012, 08:52 PM
most likely is you broke a ring installing the piston, depending on how it breaks it will still move easily in the bore

goober400
02-06-2012, 06:40 AM
i have a used je 13.1 with rings in u need it i will donate it you pay the shipping.rings are good only 4 or 5 hrs piston is useable to but has dings in the bottom where rod bearing came apart,..

55stone
02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Could be a couple things... U check and set ring end gap on the new rings?? How are the valve seals??? What was the reason u had to rebuild it in the first place??? How long was it apart?? Also are u sure it's burning oil?? U sure it's not coolant leaking by into the cylinder resulting from a bad or damaged head gasket??? Just throwing ideas out there...

Jake250ex
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
hey bud I'll pay for shipping for that piston from you. 04-05 96mm?

Like I said I've put JE and other brand pistons in my old bikes before and it was cake. this wiseco was a bear... pretty piss poor quality if you ask me

I've rebuild this motor 3 times in the last couple months. Long story, I bought this quad all stock and the top end was fried. Fixed it, took it to powerline park then my coolant hose got ripped off on my last lap and I tried to finish like and idiot and fried everything in the motor. When I say hot I mean it melted the oil fill plugs and the cam chain guides out of it. So I took it to a local mechanic, told him the deal and he said he went thru my motor and it just needed the parts I melted and a new top end. Got it all done and put back together and no spark... I melted the pickup for the stator. Drove all over Indiana the night before the Ironman to borrow one and got it going. So I did all that, went out to Ironman and the motor seized up in the first couple turns. Called that mechanic back, told him what happened and he cussed me out and said I better not tell anyone :huh

Took the motor apart myself, the oil pickup tube/strainer was clogged air tight from all the melted plastic that got ran thru the motor.

So... a new crank, all new oem gaskets, new oem crank bearings, new oil pickup tube, new sleeve and piston, new cam chain, new valves.... and here we are again.

ever had a bad luck bike?

55stone
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Never had a bad one... Sounds ****ty man sorry... Did u put new valve seals in when u changed valves? And after u got the engine hot... That's usually where most the oil comes from when your burning it if it's not the piston rings.... Maybe u got the wrong ring set with the piston... Wiesco's better products are really good still.. Shouldn't have had a problem with them but who knows lol.. U get the top end apart yet??? Keep us posted??

goober400
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
shoot me a pm if you want it jake 04-05 stock bore.it is very useable as it is has some dings in the underside of it.i guess from bearing pieces was flying around.like i said pay the shipping and its yours.i would think 10$ would do it..

2001400exrida
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
i'm gonna say valve seals. if it's white smoke then you're leaking coolant on the piston. If it's dark colored smoke there's oil on it. Possibly rings, or possibly valve seals. Usually valve seals only smoke during warm up. Once it's warm it will stop smoking.

DnB_racing
02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
is this the PBR build?

I would definitely check your rings again,it sounds like its more then the oil scraper rings, even if the scrapper rings are wrong and the spring style ring is compressed, the top rings shouldn't let that much oil out,

if you have access to a leak down tester and a stethoscope that will help lead you in the right direction,

i know you have other issues but I noticed that you said you cleaned the nuts and bolts with a wire wheel, just be aware without the zinc coating they will rust and stain very fast, keep them oiled with wd 40 to keep them looking nice,

Jake250ex
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
yeah it got new valve seal with the valves. Took the top end apart and the rings arent nicked on the edges or anything.

The oil rings just seem too big for the piston. One of them is warped, if you lay it flat one side is bent upwards. Not horribly but noticable. Brand new out of the package they seemed too big for the piston the just didnt want to set down in the grooves and stuck out from the skirt of the piston too much. I looked at my old JE and they sat in there pretty tight.

I guess im gonna order another set of rings

big bad beny
02-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Depending on your piston rings they might be up side down. Witch could allow oil to seep by and burn.

Jake250ex
02-18-2012, 08:18 AM
called wiseco, told em what was going on and they sent me a new set of rings for free. I thought that was nice of them.

Got them, went to put it together and the spacer for the oil rings was too thick to fit in the groove of the piston :mad: I looked at the part number on the piston and then the ring set and they match.

I ordered this piston off ebay, it was new still in the package but it was only 70 bucks. When i talked to them they told me they had bought out another shop and was selling out everything they had. Im wondering if this piston was a factory blem or something. It was obviously new but the other wiseco I had had a W on the skirt and I think said wiseco on the underside of the top of it. This one has nothing... Just has the part # etched on the top of it.

Whats that sound like to you guys? I think Im just gonna order another piston. Sucks cause my sleeve was bored to fit that "wiseco" that I've been screwing with. Trying to save money has cost me triple of buying a good piston. But how do you know its bad when they say its brand new in the box?