PDA

View Full Version : Whats a common problem?

dxcody
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Just bought my first Z400.

Have owned a few 400ex's.

Well i got mine for $700

Wont start. Has really good spark, has good gas.

Im thinking the valves need to be adjusted but i want to be sure before i buy a $70 shim kit.

Is there anything off the top of your heads you can think of i need to check?

When i turn the choke on, it starts to turn over a little easier, like its wanting to start but it just wont start.

Bone stock. Good compression, jetting it good, like i said its stock.

Trust me, spark is good, gas is good. Jetting is fine.

Im sure its the valves just wanted to see what you guys thought.

woodsracer00
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
check the stator, I have a 04, and it had spark, fuel, and compression. Mine got hard to start then it got to the part of not starting at all. I replaced every electrical part on it, including the wiring harness. As it turned out it was the stator.

dxcody
02-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Thank you!

Is it a PITA or would it be worth just taking it to the shop to have them check/replace it?

tihs
02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Thank you!

Is it a PITA or would it be worth just taking it to the shop to have them check/replace it?

if you can pull start it - it is the valves.

or just pop the valve cover off and check the clearance. the stock valves will cup and give you a 0 clearance

dxcody
02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Stator is brand new, going to try to push start it real fast.

Garuntee you its my valves.

tihs
02-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Stator is brand new, going to try to push start it real fast.

Garuntee you its my valves.

yea, i would bet that is what it is, you do not need to buy the whole shim kit - you can measure them out and just order what you need from RMATV.

dxcody
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by tihs
yea, i would bet that is what it is, you do not need to buy the whole shim kit - you can measure them out and just order what you need from RMATV.

there is no clearance at all on the intake side... Means new valves right?

I may have done it wrong though.

Took the valve cover off, set to tdc, stuck a 0.02 in there and it wouldnt fit.

Am i suppose to take the tensioner off also?

tihs
02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
there is no clearance at all on the intake side... Means new valves right?

I may have done it wrong though.

Took the valve cover off, set to tdc, stuck a 0.02 in there and it wouldnt fit.

Am i suppose to take the tensioner off also?

nah that is the right way to do it, yea 0 clearance means cupped valves and should be replaced.
not to bad of a job - get some Kimble white black diamond valves - they are a stronger one piece valve.

If you plan on running a high rev limit go ahead and replace the valve springs to a set of DRZe valve springs - they have a inner spring to help with valve floating.

since your pulling the head - get a DRZ single layer base gasket. this will bump up the compression a bit. - you will need to run 91/ 93 oct gas.

you might also want to re-ring the piston since your pulling the cylinder.

dxcody
02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by tihs
nah that is the right way to do it, yea 0 clearance means cupped valves and should be replaced.
not to bad of a job - get some Kimble white black diamond valves - they are a stronger one piece valve.

If you plan on running a high rev limit go ahead and replace the valve springs to a set of DRZe valve springs - they have a inner spring to help with valve floating.

since your pulling the head - get a DRZ single layer base gasket. this will bump up the compression a bit. - you will need to run 91/ 93 oct gas.

you might also want to re-ring the piston since your pulling the cylinder.

I had a set of black diamond kibblewhites in a 400ex and i had one snap. I think i am going to buy wiseco.

Deff re ring the piston and check the bore.

I was wondering what gasket kit.

Is this something you would reccomend taking to the shop or is it pretty simple.

tihs
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Check this -
http://www.advantagecyclelc.com/showproduct.php?id=65

pretty much what i did - but i bought the parts my self. this is to change the timing chain out as well.

dxcody
02-07-2012, 01:00 AM
i think i found my problem!

I was measuring from the wrong TDC.

I completely forgot that the cams turn once to the flywheels 2 turns... Anyways
the valve clearance when at true TDC was

Left exhaust - .229 (in spec)
right exhaust - .203 (in spec)

Left intake - .051
Right intake - .051

So i need to order a 2.75 for each intake valve according to the manual.

Weird that they would go backwords, guess they are starting to cup, but i should be able to get a couple more rides out of it before i need to buy new valves which will give me some time to save up for the new valves.

Does that sound about right to you? Or am i a retard and im just not understanding it right? lol

chronicsmoke
02-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Nice find Cody! My Z had the same issue as yours, you can be sure it's the valves.

You won't regret going to a Z, some people with EXs just can't admit another 400 might a be better all around quad. I loved mine, you'll love yours :cool:

Any pics yet? You selling your ol' 400 now?

tihs
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Nice find Cody! My Z had the same issue as yours, you can be sure it's the valves.

You won't regret going to a Z, some people with EXs just can't admit another 400 might a be better all around quad. I loved mine, you'll love yours :cool:

Any pics yet? You selling your ol' 400 now?

Check out http://www.suzukicentral.com/
great site for a ton of info!

dxcody
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Chronic: I was once at that stage, i was a die hard 400ex fan, nothing was better... blah blah blah, but so far, i actually like the way the Z is set up alot better than the ex. I was hard headed at first but now i can see, you just gotta get out and try new things!

Tihs: Thanks for all the info man, i made a account on there the other day..

Lets face it, unless you have a 400ex or a 450R, you dont get many replies from this site. Not bashing by any means, just saying it is kinda true..

dxcody
02-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Jeese oh freaking pete! That head pipe is the WORST design in the freaking world!

I was like "Yea! No dual header, this is gonna be cake!" not..

Idk if its the way you have to do it or not but I had to take the rad hose off, Thermostat cover (next to exhaust port) and FINALLY i wiggled it out.

All because i have a fetish of a clean head pipe and mine was nasty dirty..

Anyways got it off and back on finally..

Just had to rant before i went to bed.. :devil:

chronicsmoke
02-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Hahah I know you were, and frankly, when all I had was my EX, I was too.

I loved mine, but the EX I had for wayy longer and had more mods. I still kind of regret it though, should have sold the EX..

And when I put my Rossier full exhaust on the Z, I couldn't get the stock header off, so I cut it haha. The rossier has a 2 piece header design.

Get some pics up when you can :D

Here's mine right before I sold it (450r shocks work good on the front too BTW, i took them off to sell it);)

HondaRacing83
02-11-2012, 09:06 AM
lets see some pics of it cody :)

flattracker1
02-12-2012, 08:35 AM
I had a set of black diamond kibblewhites in a 400ex and i had one snap. I think i am going to buy wiseco.

Deff re ring the piston and check the bore.

I was wondering what gasket kit.

Is this something you would reccomend taking to the shop or is it pretty simple.

dont get wiseco valves. i think they are just like the stock ones. i went with the ferrah stainless valves and havent had 1 issue. i put a whole race season in plus 2 trail riding trips and just did have to adjust them just 1 size on the exhaust. i also havent had a 400ex even come close to me yet. and as far as info on this quad suzukicentral is the best place to find it. good community over there.

dxcody
02-15-2012, 02:51 AM
They are stainless steel though.. IDK what i will buy. i got smaller shims and got it running.

PICS posted SOON!

dxcody
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Man, this thing is sooo smooth.

chronicsmoke
02-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Looks good Cody! I dig the white :macho

dxcody
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I cant believe how smooth this thing is! Seriously, the 426 beat me around everywhere but this thing rides real plush for stock suspension.

Doesnt like high speed turns lol

chronicsmoke
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
haha now you know why I always defend the Z and clones in the 400ex forum.. 85% of the kids bashing them have never even ridden one!

I've said it before, If my 400ex didn't have so much time/money into it I would have sold it and kept the Z.. look at my sig, I'm a Honda guy..

in hindsight, that's really what I should have done. WAY more potential.. I may still make my EX a hybrid though :p

dxcody
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Lol im trying to get a guy to trade me for a 05 450r right now...

I do like the z400 but not more than a 450r :D

chronicsmoke
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Haha that would be amazing..

I love my 05 :)

HondaRacing83
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
is that born confused cr? man the z's are nice bikes. jeez they ran them with 450s till zuki came out with a 450 and it still beat them. id have to admit, i would trade it for a 450 in a heartbeat haha but they are nice. they arent the prettiest bikes in stock form, but man they have potential to be one badass quad. especially those new ones that look like ltrs. if i had one id find a way to do that plastic conversion. ill admit i never rode a z, but id really like to. ive sat on them and its amazing how much bigger the 400s are than the 450s. you shoulda thought ahead and took the bars and handguards off your ex and saved them. nice bike cody!

dxcody
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes that is his CR. Its a nice bike... for a bike:D :D JK born! lol

I am actually wanting to keep it, i may be an idiot but the guy wanting to trade me for the 450r told me he wanted $800 and my quad for it.. Im broke so i told him he was crazy, but I am thinking about keeping it. Its just going to be A LOT of work to get it to where i am comfortable racing it, it sets up SOOOO high.. But then again im still not used to it fully.

I do like it tho, im not saying "Oh its soo much better than a 400ex" but man this thing has a smooth power gain, a smooth plush suspension ride.. I mean its nice, but i still like the 400ex.
Both are good quads, i just had to learn to have more of an open mind twords other things. Hell the other day i told Born Confused i wanted to buy a dirtbike to play around on (trust me, i am the LAST guy in the world you would see on a dirtbike... i cant even turn on them things.)

Once i get used to it a little more i will prolly like it more.

dxcody
02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Hey Chronic i need your help, i PM'd you.