PDA

View Full Version : Will my bike beat a Ltz 400 and a yfz 450???

mike123jr95
02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a 2000 400ex it is bored to a 416cc and has stage 2 hot cams and high compression piston and I have a slip on it. and my two buddy's have a Ltz and a yfz . My Ltz buddy that use to beat my stock 400ex with pipe , He's Ltz has a pipe to and I ran outa gear and I wounder if il get him or should I switch sprockets up. And I never raced the other with my old stock bike but his is a stock yfz450. Will my new bike beat them ? Imma race them in 2 weeks .

CJM
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
The ltz you should beat fine, but your not gonna beat the yfz-it has alot more topend than you do.

mike123jr95
02-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Maybe if I change sprockets and put a rev box on.

Stickman400
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Rev box will do next to nothing. The sprockets will help the topend alot, but it still won't catch a 450.

mirror_racing
02-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I beat a freshly built 426 ex on my Z400 that only had a slip on and exhaust...

Not sure what cam he was running in his though

quadmanw
02-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I beat my buddy on his new lt 400 with my mild stock motor 400... The rider obv has a lot to do with it but I'm still curious to which is really faster..

mike123jr95
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
My be will be finished next week so I will let you know who won.

quadmanw
02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Hopefully you smoke the lt because mine is getting rebuilt basically the same as yours lol

chronicsmoke
02-06-2012, 06:07 AM
FWIW My LTZ with a Full Rossier/Exhaust beat my 426ex before i changed the cam to a Sg. 2and bumped the compression. Sold the Z so I can't race them again :ermm:

The Z's are good machines, fast for a stock 400 too

ish416
02-06-2012, 08:20 AM
An 11:1 416 with a stage 1 cam is about equal to a jetted/piped Z400.

The YFZ will leave you easily. Especially if it has anything done to it.

quadmanw
02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
It's pretty sweet that the Z are so fast lol. Honda should've tried to make the fastest 400..

mirror_racing
02-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Nah the 400ex is an awesome quad. I wouldn't change anything about them. They take a beating and keep on going. Plus they are still ok to use on a track...

quadmanw
02-06-2012, 10:54 AM
very true. i agree. there are so many easy mods you can do to the ex. I would only change the cooling system and maybe beef the suspension.. Id take my ex over a z anyday. I love honda

cheater13
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I raced about 300ft drags last year in august with my 400ex and all the mods in my signature.

I beat an atc 2 stroke 3 wheeler, two banshees, a 400ex, and a KFX450 with my ol 400ex. The only problem i had was that i always pulled up my tires alittle and that is where i lost a good many of my races.

But i did beat that kfx450 but it was all stock. It was pretty close but i beat er.

* I got raped by a highly modded yfz450 though

quadmanw
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Did you try to up a tooth on your front sprocket? That should keep the front end down

cheater13
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Nah i didn't do that but i should have tried. I might try it this year. There only about 10 bucks i think for the front sprockets so it won't hurt to try.

But i saw these "Holeshot Devices" that help you with that? You know anything about them and if they will work on the 400ex? I don't really want to make a thread if i can get an answer in here.

DragonGunner
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
My 406EX 11:1, ported head, WB rev box, CT exhaust, open air box, K&N has smoked alot of built 450's of all kinds, Banshees an 250R's, an Raptors.....Just make sure its a dead engine start standing in front of your quad.....or be in shape with good suspension for a 45 min XC type race...

DragonGunner
02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
I raced about 300ft drags last year in august with my 400ex and all the mods in my signature.

I beat an atc 2 stroke 3 wheeler, two banshees, a 400ex, and a KFX450 with my ol 400ex. The only problem i had was that i always pulled up my tires alittle and that is where i lost a good many of my races.

But i did beat that kfx450 but it was all stock. It was pretty close but i beat er.

* I got raped by a highly modded yfz450 though

Put a +1.25" longer swingarm on it. You'll thank me later.

ish416
02-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Some of you guys are either delusional or raced somebody who sucks at life and can't ride.

There is no way that a quad that makes 36-39 hp stock, has shorter gearing and weighs less than an EX would lose in a drag race with equal skilled riders.

My KFX450 dyno'd at 39 stock and 51 with an intake, fuel controller, full exhaust and a good tune. My EX on that same dyno pulled 36. This dyno obviously reads a bit high and my EX is a bit old and wore out but compression is still solid.

I own both a modded 416 and a KFX450 and my 450 will leave my EX for dead. Absolutely for dead.

JOHNDOE83
02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I beat 450s all day everyday with my 440, the only way a 450 can beat me is if its ported, piped, cam'd and carb'd and has more paddles then me.

But thats my 400EX :rolleyes:

quadmanw
02-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Kawasaki is slow. End of that. And for the holeshot device I'm almost positive those are for dirtbikes but I could be wrong..

CJM
02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Delusional-maybe?

All I know is Ive raced my buddies bikes, yes their 450s are fast but not walk away from me and leave me in the dust fast. If anything I run out on the topend-down low we are evenly matched.

quadmanw
02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
That's what I was thinking.. Lol. I always ran out of top end.. I had no problem with bottom end

400exshop
02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I see there are a few guys from PA. on here . There are a few guys that come from.

PA, NY ,VA, W.VA Maryland, Mass, and a few other states that come down to busco beach to run 300 foot drags with us.

From what I have seen on the dirt drags. There are alot of small bikes that beat up on the big bikes.

I also have seen 400ex's put a beat down on 450, shees, raptor, and trx250r's.

So for some of you guys to say that it cant be done or that the rider that is on the bigger bike cant ride is bs.

And to say this bike cant run with that bike cuz it dont make as much HP is also wrong.

Try doing some research on hp,tq and rpm's ......

I have a 426ex low comp stage 2 cam built to spray nos to it, we have a 440ex that has a 12.5 comp with a stage 2 cam and we spray nos to it also.

Motor to motor the 440 has more HP and TQ then the 426 but the 426 turns up quicker.

We run 1/8 mile and 300 foot dirt with them both. the 426 is faster then the 440 so you cant say becouse one bike make more HP or TQ its faster cuz its not always ture. ( IM just saying )

We also have a 700 raptor that is built to a 804 that makes 89.97 HP with 61.93 TQ

That we beat up on 421 cubs with and for the guys that dont know that a nice shee build not to big and not to small.

quadmanw
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Wow man, exactly what I was trying to say.. But that's is frickin awesome with the nos 400s and raptor haha

ish416
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Kawasaki is slow. End of that.

Sure thing but so is your Honda.

So for some of you guys to say that it cant be done or that the rider that is on the bigger bike cant ride is bs. And to say this bike cant run with that bike cuz it dont make as much HP is also wrong. Try doing some research on hp,tq and rpm's ......

I consider myself fairly well versed in horsepower, torque and rpm.
The point that I made is that a quad that is lighter, makes more power at any given rpm, revs faster and has shorter gearing should always be faster than a quad that weighs more, makes less power and is slower to make that power. The only difference being traction and rider skill.

Face facts, Acceleration = Force /Mass

Something that has more force and less mass should always accelerate faster than something that has less force and more mass.

The more you increase mass or reduce force the slower an object will accelerate.

You could get more technical with aerodynamic drag and traction. However, all of those being equal, the only difference comes down to rider skill...

So what point are you trying to make?

JOHNDOE83
02-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ish416
Sure thing but so is your Honda.

I consider myself fairly well versed in horsepower, torque and rpm.
The point that I made is that a quad that is lighter, makes more power at any given rpm, revs faster and has shorter gearing should always be faster than a quad that weighs more, makes less power and is slower to make that power. The only difference being traction and rider skill.

Face facts, Acceleration = Force /Mass

Something that has more force and less mass should always accelerate faster than something that has less force and more mass.

The more you increase mass or reduce force the slower an object will accelerate.

You could get more technical with aerodynamic drag and traction. However, all of those being equal, the only difference comes down to rider skill...

So what point are you trying to make?

I also like exshop built my own EX and drag race it at a track with alot of riders, I dunno whats wrong with your ex ish maybe its not built right...lol.j/k

But I hurt alot of banshees and 450rs at the track, Ive even paid my rent with money I won from racing raptors, banshees and 450s.

Ive been riding since I was 5 but consider myself far from a highly skilled rider, so I know it sounds like it defies laws and physics but its true.

Ill stick by what I know and learned, aircooled motors can be and need to be treated differently from all other motors. If you abide by and understand this law the aircooled motor will triumph over all:cool:

These EX motor's are beast's if tuned right, basic builds walk on stock rappy's and 450's all the time regardless of rider skill. If skill was as big of factor as it sounds, then at what point does HP override rider skill?

400exshop
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
The point that im making is that some of you guy have no ideal as to what you are talking about.......

We have had guys tell us oh your bike is faster cuz your son can ride better then thay can....

So to shut them up we put them on our bike and my so on there bike and run them,,,,,, when thay come back the first thing that come out of there moth is how did you get that bike to run like that.....

THAY BEAT MY SON WITH THEM ON OUR BIKE AND MY SON ON THERE BIKE.

So not to bash on any one but some of you guys realy need to do some research befor you go talking about things you know nothing about....

Mx, cx and woods racing builds are nothing like a drag build.

The guys that build drag bike vs the guys that build mx,cx and flat track no a hoe lot more tricks to make the bike run out harder......

So you can keep going with the this + that = what ever you like, but ever time some one says it cant be done , well it gets done....

Im just saying...... not bashing just trying to put some thing out there for yall to think about....

Here is one for you in a drag race a big block chevy will always out run a small block chevy?

No, not true but that is how most of you guys think becouse you dont know alot about drag racing.....

And again im not bashing anyone or putting anyone down.... im just putting it out there....

ish416
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I also like exshop built my own EX and drag race it at a track with alot of riders, I dunno whats wrong with your ex ish maybe its not built right...lol.j/k But I hurt alot of banshees and 450rs at the track, Ive even paid my rent with money I won from racing raptors, banshees and 450s. Ive been riding since I was 5 but consider myself far from a highly skilled rider, so I know it sounds like it defies laws and physics but its true. Ill stick by what I know and learned, aircooled motors can be and need to be treated differently from all other motors. If you abide by and understand this law the aircooled motor will triumph over all These EX motor's are beast's if tuned right, basic builds walk on stock rappy's and 450's all the time regardless of rider skill. If skill was as big of factor as it sounds, then at what point does HP override rider skill?

I know exactly what you mean. I have raced and beat several things that I should not have won but did.

I usually can get out of the hole better than the competition so, it comes down to a combination of skill and traction.

Here is a perfect example of what you describe of myself drag racing my friend across my field. His 450R is fully built, my KFX just had an intake/fuel controller at the time. In the races from a dig, I pull several quad lengths off the line and held him there. Once we do the rolling start, it's fairly even.

KFX450R Vs Baldwin Racing Honda 450R (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_UiYYz0NY)

First race was a distance of .13 miles, last 2 races are about .2 miles.

After watching this video it will confirm that traction and skill really are significant when drag racing.

Also, when switching riders, the outcome is the same. The KFX will win from a dig 4/5 times and from a roll it's basically a tie.

dxcody
02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
cant wait until it gets warm enough to ride in t shirts again.

Even tho this has been a mild winter, i still hate cold weather..

ish416
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
400exshop

I understand what you are getting at. Setup is extremely important. It's actually the most important part of drag racing. Getting off the line and down the track first is how you win.
If you make a 70 horsepower and torque from your EX but can only put down 30 then anything more than that is basically useless. That is why I said if you race someone with more power than you have, it comes down to traction and skill but once they have traction, they will continue to accelerate faster.

Example:
I have a 99 Z28 that I drag race occasionally. It puts down 430 rwhp on motor and 588 rwhp on spray. My best time is 11.46 but my trap speed is 128.7 mph. I don't have the car setup to get off the line like it should. I run regular street tires, not slicks or cheater slicks. Otherwise I would likely have a mid/low 10 second car according to my trap speed. However, I will take my car that runs 11.4s and run cars that run mid 10s on the street and pull them by several car lengths on a 50 - 150 run. That is done by mostly eliminating traction as a factor in the race. My car makes more power than theirs but I can't effectively put it to the ground until the higher speeds where the traction becomes less of a factor.

That is why I judge something on how fast it traps (power) vs how fast it gets there (setup).

Face facts, Acceleration = Force /Mass Something that has more force and less mass should always accelerate faster than something that has less force and more mass. The more you increase mass or reduce force the slower an object will accelerate. You could get more technical with aerodynamic drag and traction. However, all of those being equal, the only difference comes down to rider skill...

Apologies for my engineering thought process kicking in. As I quoted, if everything was equal as far as traction and aerodynamic drag, the difference would be the engine and the riders skill. However, finding the traction is what makes a skilled rider good and a non-skilled rider lame.

I just tried to read this back and I think I am to the point of not making any sense. Stupid insomnia.

400exshop
02-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Trap speen will dropand the ET will pick up if it hooks, you do know that right?

We have run our 700 raptor 1/8 mile a lot, and it has gone 6.7 at 99.97 mphwith a 60' of 1.55 and a 330' of 4.70......

And then we have got the bike to lower the 60' and 330' and the bike go 6.5 at 97.85mph 60' was 1.43 and 330' was 4.38....

the bike would have gone 6.3 but the screew that thay put in the fuel pump to up the pressure fall out and we did not know till we tore it down to put a override transmission in it.....

chronicsmoke
02-07-2012, 05:54 AM
The KFX is pretty slow stock, I traded mine for my 250r ( :D ) They are fun and light to flick around though. Stock it was a perfect trail quad.

I dragged it against my Raptor, Z400, 426ex (10:1 piston, no key, no porting), and 450r with HRC Only..

Results were TRX, KFX, Raptor/Z,426ex..

With porting and a higher comp, the 426 would probably still be at the back of the pack, but that's not why I kept it around. It's perfect to teach my buddies how to ride, and it has the power to follow the faster bikes.. Totally different than a drag 400ex though.