PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed

Sqwrly
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
So the last quad I looked at was a 400ex with a 440 kit and all that which was my previous thread . Well with everyones opinion on that bike burning oil that kinda pushed me to not getting it . Anyways . Today I looked at a 2007 Honda 450R, here are some of the mods on it . But I have a question . I noticed it backfires, but from what he tells me its just because he doesnt have the jets in it yet . So he told me he would give me the jets along with the 4 wheeler of course . So my question is, Is the cause of it back firing because it doesnt have the right jets installed yet ? I mean I dont feel any loss of power at any point when I rode it . It ran nice and strong .

2007 Honda TRX450R
Electric Start
New Chain
High Compression Piston
Stage 2 Cam
Full DG Exhaust System
Under 50 hours ride time
Changed oil after every 2 rides
Valves have been inspected and adjusted

TheAwesomehonda
02-04-2012, 02:24 PM
If its back firing on deseration that would be because your pilot jet is to small or the a/f screw is screwed in to har. This isn't a big problem to fix by just jetting it but if it has been running lean like that for a long the motor may have over heater and been damaged.

Sqwrly
02-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
If its back firing on deseration that would be because your pilot jet is to small or the a/f screw is screwed in to har. This isn't a big problem to fix by just jetting it but if it has been running lean like that for a long the motor may have over heater and been damaged.

He said he has the jets and was going to put them in but he didnt wanna do it cause he didnt know much about jetting carbs . But he said hes rebuilt more than hes rejetted . But ill just get the jets put in it .

Sqwrly
02-09-2012, 05:29 PM
But I need more opinions . Should I go ahead and buy this quad or should I not ?

audioworks04
02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
If he can rebuild a motor, there is no reason that he wouldnt be able to rejet. Like was said, if it has been run for a long time with a lean condition than it is possible for motor to be damaged. But I wouldnt let that scare you away too much, it seems to be a pretty good bike and looks very clean, but you didnt give us a price.

fearlessfred
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by audioworks04
If he can rebuild a motor, there is no reason that he wouldnt be able to rejet. Like was said, if it has been run for a long time with a lean condition than it is possible for motor to be damaged. But I wouldnt let that scare you away too much, it seems to be a pretty good bike and looks very clean, but you didnt give us a price. x 2 .have him correct the problem before buying

Sqwrly
02-13-2012, 04:57 PM
He wants 2800 for it . I think I can still do some talking down . But being lean cause cause bad damage to the motor . I know all about that . But I dont want to buy something thats a ticking time bomb .

OTMTRX
02-14-2012, 04:38 AM
All the above answers are right.. if it's been run too long, too lean it may have caused damage.. There again if it's the pilot circuit is the likely cause of the popping so damage maybe minimal, but theres also a chance the rest of the carb may be lean too (air leaks around header can cause the same thing and not really casue any damage). How long has it been riden like that? The guy sounds FOS to me.. as someone else pointed out .. he can build engines but can't jet a carb... something just doesn't sound right to me.. I'd be tempted to walk away.........but $2800 for an 07 is a pretty good price... up to you if you wanna take the risk!

What is he saying is a high compression piston and what gas is he running in it?

Sqwrly
02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by OTMTRX
All the above answers are right.. if it's been run too long, too lean it may have caused damage.. There again if it's the pilot circuit is the likely cause of the popping so damage maybe minimal, but theres also a chance the rest of the carb may be lean too (air leaks around header can cause the same thing and not really casue any damage). How long has it been riden like that? The guy sounds FOS to me.. as someone else pointed out .. he can build engines but can't jet a carb... something just doesn't sound right to me.. I'd be tempted to walk away.........but $2800 for an 07 is a pretty good price... up to you if you wanna take the risk!

What is he saying is a high compression piston and what gas is he running in it?

He said honda was paid to install a high compression piston in the quad and he says he has the paper work . And he said he has to run 93 .

But I have been looking and I found a 2005 TRX450R with a kick start . With everything stock and the guy only wants 2250 for the 2005 . So I think I am gonna look at that, because id much rather buy something stock and do the work myself that way I know personally how its done and make sure its done right .

Sqwrly
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
I talked to him last night and he said that the exhaust has been on there since last year when he bought it . He also said that its back firing because its getting too much fuel ? I was thinking to myself ? Ive never heard of a motor back firing because its getting to much fuel . Plus common sense when you rejet it allows more fuel because you have allowed the engine to flow better by changing the exhaust .

TheAwesomehonda
02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Sqwrly
I talked to him last night and he said that the exhaust has been on there since last year when he bought it . He also said that its back firing because its getting too much fuel ? I was thinking to myself ? Ive never heard of a motor back firing because its getting to much fuel . Plus common sense when you rejet it allows more fuel because you have allowed the engine to flow better by changing the exhaust . If its stuck jets with exhaust and rebuilt it is to lean not to rich.

Sqwrly
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
If its stuck jets with exhaust and rebuilt it is to lean not to rich.

Dont really understand what your trying to say . But I think being that its been ran with it backfiring like it is that the chances of the motor being damaged are kinda high .

TheAwesomehonda
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Sqwrly
Dont really understand what your trying to say . But I think being that its been ran with it backfiring like it is that the chances of the motor being damaged are kinda high . Sorry i ment stock jets not stuck jets haha. I would say there could be motor damage but you can tell alot with a compression guage!

Sqwrly
02-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys . For all your patience . And dealing with my noob questions but im leaning away from this quad and looking at a couple others .