PDA

View Full Version : hotcams stage1 vs xr 400 cam

trentowens92
02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
i bought a 400ex from a guy about 2 months ago,rode it three times and the rings burnt up in it.i took it apart last night and the piston is scarred and so is the cylinder wall.

I pretty much have my mind set on doing a 416.

my question is while i have it apart should i go ahead and put in a cam?i have a pretty tight budget so i cant necessarily go all out on it.but i thought about the wiseco piston and hotcams stage 1,but i have read alot about people running a xr400 cam in the ex.

most of my riding is trails and field paths.i dont race other than some buddies in a field,so i dont need a whole lot,but i just wanna get the best bang for my buck.

thanks for the help in advance

KKiowaTJ
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I have been looking around for the same set up for a friends quad. Stick with honda parts, The xr400 cam and head gasket and a crf450 cam chain along with the piston of your choice would be the most reliable and easy to get parts for etc. To each his own, Good luck either way

ish416
02-03-2012, 10:23 AM
The XR cam isn't as aggressive as even the mild stage 1 hotcam. It's a good upgrade but it's not a world of difference. The XR cam is slightly less power off idle with a stronger mid and better top end. The Stage 1 hotcam is similar but makes better power.

On the Hotcam scale, stage 0 = stock, XR cam = stage .7, Stage 1, 2 etc.

If I hadn't have gotten the XR cam for free dollars, I would have stepped it up to the stage 2 when it became available.

If you end up going high compression (10.8 - 11:1) go with a stage 2.

Also, use either XR OEM gaskets or Cometic gaskets.