PDA

View Full Version : Is this true or not

atvmbaca
03-02-2003, 04:04 PM
I am looking to going to upgrade to a hight comp piston and a WEB Cam a Engine builder told me that I will need to go with a full exhaust system because of the restriction of the stock head pipes I currently have a Yoshi slip on is this true or not. please help me out anybody!

cheetah
03-02-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure if it is a necessity, but I would definately look into one. It will give you a lot more power out of a modded motor.

nakomis0
03-02-2003, 04:20 PM
well hes basically right. You of course can run your bike with the setup you have.

But if you want to feel the full improvement of your high comp. piston and cam, you would need a full exhaust. It will also help your motor run a little cooler as well.

Steve-o 400EX
03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
well hes basically right. You of course can run your bike with the setup you have.

But if you want to feel the full improvement of your high comp. piston and cam, you would need a full exhaust. It will also help your motor run a little cooler as well.

I agree, you can run it with the stock header but you wont feel the full effect of the motor work without the full exhaust.

MichaelS693
03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
these guys have said just about all you need to know:D :bandit:

honda400exrider
03-02-2003, 07:50 PM
if you shaved the welds or the pipe, would that not be equal or very close to aftermarket? i have better things to buy wit 200 bucks:devil

atvmbaca
03-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys

BigThumper33
03-02-2003, 09:29 PM
I have to disagree. ChadEXer runs a stock header, which he was recommended to do, on his 505ex......i'm pretty sure if he felt he needed a new header, that price was not an issue!

nakomis0
03-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
I have to disagree. ChadEXer runs a stock header, which he was recommended to do, on his 505ex......i'm pretty sure if he felt he needed a new header, that price was not an issue!

:huh If whats true I wonder what the reasoning for that is?

I can't imagine he would run a stock pipe, the guys a drag racer, Im surprised he doesnt have some huge drag pipe hanging out the side.:)

forum
03-03-2003, 01:31 AM
its true. TC recomends using the stock header. Chads 505 uses a stock modified header. Welds are grinded and the slip he uses (TC) requires you to cut the headpipe back. In my opinion a headpipe is one of the last motor mods you should do. they do very little when you consider there price. A slip on goes a long way.

ChadEXer
03-03-2003, 01:49 PM
The guys are right!! I run a stock header on my 505, with the welds grinded out and of course cut back to fit the TC silencer! The reason is because the stock header gives the most torque. A bigger headpipe only gives you a little more on the top end,,,well in most racing, drag racing especially torque is a MUST! On a 300ft drag strip, top end isnt an issue,,,I even run a 14t up front!! When I first bought my bike the first thing I did was buy a full Yoshi system for it,,,when TC built my motor I had to go dig my stock headpipe out of the trash in my storage building!!! Most people talk horse power this, horsepower that, but dont realize torque is just as important, and in drag racing probably even more important. Take for instance the sled pulls,,,,what do you think would win a drag, a 500 HP truck, or a deisel motor with 300 HP and 600 ft lbs of torque!! I have owned three pipes, a Big Gun full system, and a Yoshi full system and now my TC slip on,,,I wouldnt change my current setup for anything!! I even bolted up my friends LRD full system this weekend on the 505 and felt no increase at all, matter of fact it felt a little slower(but maybe thats just because the TC is louder which I guess makes it "sound" faster!!! Just put it this way, he is trying to sell the LRD system now!! Either way, I now believe a aftermarket headpipe is a waste of money, especially considering the gains compared to price, a cam can be bought for the same price that will give you a much larger increase. Now if you race TT that is mainly a wide open course where you will be topped out in 5th most of the race, then i would reccomend a aftermarket header!!

Here is a pic of my stock header and TC pipe!!

ChadEXer
03-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Here is the polished TC pipe!