PDA

View Full Version : Helping a Friend Find Info On a LTR-450 Front Suspension Swap for His LT250R.

thack82
02-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey I need some help from the Suzuki Guy's out there. My Friend has ask me to help him research and find out what newer LT-450 Suspension parts can be modified and bolted up on his 1989 Suzuki LT250R.

He got the idea after he looked at my Suspension Set Up. I explained what I did on my Banshee bellow.

The question I have for you guys will do you know of anyone who has tried to put aether the LTR450 or LTZ400 A-Arm's, Spindle's, Shock's, Hubs, Swing Arm, or other suspension Components on a LT250R?

He's doing a complete restoration on this 1989 LT250R. He's Sanded and repainted the Frame, stripped down the Motor to the bare finish and replaced all the internals with upgraded performance parts, bought new Carbon Fiber Maier Plastic, Black/Silver Seat Cover, Black/Silver OEM Replica Graphic Kit, he bought all new Bearing, Seals, Gaskets, O-Rings, Bushings, Handle Bars, Headlight, Bumpers, Skid Plates, Grab Bar, New LRD Exhaust, Pro-Design Cool Head, 38mm Mikuni Flat Slide Carburetor, V-3 Reed Cages, and New ITP Bend Rig Wheel's and ITP Hole Shot Tires.

He has spent every dime he has on this build. His Quad is going to look and run good but the Suspension is wore out JUNK! His Idea of upgrading the Suspension is a Red 2000 400EX Rear Shock with a Aluminum Block bolted on the bottom of it to make up the extra 2" of length he needs on that funky upside down donkus odd ball Rear Linkage Set Up, and a Yellow Set of Stock Raptor 660 Shock's "Pogo Sticks" in the Front an the Stock A Arms. I figure the most affordable way for him to get a decent Suspension that will be half way fun on a MX Track or in the Woods is to try to incorporate Stock LTR450/LTZ400 Suspension Component's with his stock 1989 LT250R Frame. Then When he gets more money saved up he can buy Race Tech Gold Valve's, New Race Tech Spring's and a few other things.

The question I have for you guys will do you know of anyone who has tried to put aether the LTR450 or LTZ400 A-Arm's, Spindle's, Shock's, Hubs, Swing Arm, or other suspension Components on a LT250R?

thack82
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I did something similar with my 2004 Yamaha Banshee. It took some time researching what would work and what wouldn't but the end result was amazing and the best part of all was the cost. I built my complete Suspension with the help of one of my best friends that Graduated MMI and owns his own ATV Performance Shop "Withrow Powersport's" for about $1,000 (Race Tech Component's, YFZ450 Suspension Component's, Full Flight A-Arms, Forward Powersport''s Rear Axle).

I bought 2010 YFZ-450R Front Hubs, Front Spindles, Front Brake Brake Calipers, Front Brake Rotors, Front Brake Lines, Steering Stem, Steering Stem Flag, Handle Bars, Rear Brake Caliper, Rear Brake Rotor, and Rear Brake Line. Then I called the guys up at Full Flight and talked to them and I bought a set of their Banshee +3 A-Arm's "For YFZ Component's" with 12 Point Adjustable Chromolly Heim Joints. I went ahead and rebuilt/Painted my Rear Swing Arm and bought a new ALL BALL"S Wheel/Suspension Bearing/Seal/Bushing Kit, and a set of 2006 YFZ-450SE Front Shock's. After I got everything in I sent the A-Arms to Qualex Machine Tool and Die along with the YFZ Steering Stem and had them make me a set of Front A-Arm Skid Plates out of Aluminum and at 2.25" to the Steering Stem and Sleeve it with thin wall tubing for strength and reinforcement.

I contacted Forward Powersport's and bought there +1+1 Forged Rear Axle, and I Bought a set of wide 3/6 Off Set Polished Aluminum 9X9 Douglas Orange Label OMF Race Ring Rear Wheels for the Back with 20X11-9 BKT AT-111 Rear Tires and a set of Polished Aluminum 2/3 Dished 10X5 Douglas Yellow Label Front Wheels with BKT AT-111 21X7-10 Front Tires.

After I got that stuff back from them and I my DG Baja Series Skid Plates an took My Banshee and all the Part's to Withrow Powersport's and he Ordered Race Tech's Rebuild Kits, Gold Valve's, New Sliver Rear Spring (Stock Banshee Rear Shock Spring = 165lbs Max Weight), and new Dual Rate (Piggy back's) Springs for the Front. Then he set them up for my Banshee and adjusted them to my liking. I pasted a Pictures with this thread I'm very pleased with the out come and I'm hoping he can find like new take off LTR/LTZ Parts and get everything to mount up on his Quad. Withrow disassembled his rear shock and the previous owner had rode the quad so long with the blatter busted that it rubbed a spot on the shaft where it wouldn't seal and all his suspension components are beyond fixing and cost way more money than what there worth even in "Like New" Condition.

Please let me know if you have tried or know of someone else who has upgraded a LT250R Suspension using donor parts from a LTR/LTZ Quad.

Thanks for your Help.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Thacker/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/112ltforum.bmp

thack82
02-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by thack82
I can't get the picture of my set up to load up on the thread for some reason?

axellmusic19
02-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Interestingly enough you may have better luck with the YFZ front end for part compatibility etc but I unfortunately don't have any more advice. I am eager to see how this turns out!

thack82
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
Interestingly enough you may have better luck with the YFZ front end for part compatibility etc but I unfortunately don't have any more advice. I am eager to see how this turns out!

Yea, the YFZ Suspension turned my Banshee into a new animal. It doesn't look like to many Rider's mess with the LT-250R's Suspension because I'm not getting many reply's to the thread. Your the only one so far.

Come on Guy's I know somebody has messed with combining these two quads in some form or fashion. We Need Help with this, don't hold Back!!! :D

axellmusic19
02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't mean to be a downer but the best luck you might have with this question is in the Hybrid atv section as they deal with this stuff almost every thread. They also have some talented fab guys there too. Most LT guys here haven't chopped up frames in the efforts of cost.

hawaiiysr
02-05-2012, 12:34 AM
this area tends to get pretty slow at times. your best bet is to head over to quadracerhq.com and ask questions their. those guys are really helpful. a few members can hook your friend up with discos from works, elka, and oem parts.

i dont think anything from another quar will be bolt on. your buddy may be better off buying aftermarket suspention parts that was built for his quad. there is a mod i know of to help get rid of the bump steer on a lt250. jus got to as the guys on the QR forum. or do a search. all the info you need is their. good luck

thack82
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
I don't mean to be a downer but the best luck you might have with this question is in the Hybrid atv section as they deal with this stuff almost every thread. They also have some talented fab guys there too. Most LT guys here haven't chopped up frames in the efforts of cost.

Okay thanks I'll give QuadracerHQ a try. I the YFZ450R suspension Upgrade/Swap I did required no frame modifications it all just slid right in place. My buddy with the LT250R wont be interested in chopping his frame to make the LTR/LTZ Suspension fit he will want to do something similar to my set up. hawaiiysr I agree a Aftermarket Performance set up would be the best way to upgrade the suspension, the only issue is money. He's run up short on this build and he's kind of at a stand still. Used 1989 LT250R Aftermarket or Stock are hard to find and a aftermarket/performance A-Arm, Front Shocks, and rear Shock will run about $1,000 for the front end and another $800 for the rear shock and that running Full Flight A-Arms and there about half the price of Lone Star's. I'll keep you guys informed on the information I obtain on the LTR/LTZ Suspension swap for the LT250R. Thank you all for all your help.

hawaiiysr
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Burgard sells arms for LT's. I know the years will differ tho so make sure you have/order the correct stuff. Look for the bump steer mod on qrhq. I'm sure it will help.